2016 Rio Olympics | GYMNASTICS | August 6th thru August 21st

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
this is why i am a firm believe that this sport needs to bring back compulsories. Use that + team optionals (like the 90s) to judge all around + event finals (like diving/trampoline does). then let people go nuts in the AA/EF.

I'm all for this

Should've added that artistically and technically, Simone's floor routines are sublime.

Artistically? Uhm... no.

Artistically speaking, it's all in the eye of the beholder. To me, she is because her performances are a reflection of her; love the way she throws her shoulders back and directs her line of vision in every element :)

But agreed, never know what will happen. It would shock me, is all.

Okay, yeah I agree on this. I still think that her gymnastic (and much of USA team) is muscular rather than artistic.

i'll have to admit. LOL i generally don't like ANYONE'S floor routine anymore. - Laurie Hernadez's was a treat. though. I just miss the old school floor, the Shannon Millers, the Svetlana Khorkina the Sventlana Boginskya's the Lilia Podpokvayas floors.

like again I don't hate Simone's floor, i just don't... love it. LOL

Oh what a flashback, Podkopayeva's floor routine was awesome in Atlanta 96, that set the bar VERY high for years. 9.887, scary score back when they had still 10.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Agreed. Sanne Wevers routine was gorgeous, and unique. and I'm glad she won. I'm sorry that Simone almost fell - but I'm glad that routine won.

100% agree. I absolutely loved that balance beam routine. You don't have to do flip after flip to demonstrate world class balance. Honestly, it gets to the point where a routine looks disjointed in those cases. Those connected spins and the overall flow of the routine were awesome.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm all for this

Regrettably, we'll never get it as long as Nelly Kim in charge of FIG, that's never going to happen. She's so anti-Artistic gymnastics (I guess losing to Nadia does that to a person) - and she's the person responsible the Code of points as it is now

And again - I don't have an issue with difficult gymnastics - but what I've got an issue with is people who can't do the difficult gymnastics properly. (as well as those who can't do simple dance elements. the amount of times i want to scream POINT YOUR TOE... lol)

again I think if it were up to me I would have it like this:

Execution: 10.
Difficulty: 1-5 (so hardest stuff is 5)
Artistic: 1-5 (again hardest thing is 5)

and have it equal weight. so you can maximize the difficulty and get credit - but if you have low artistic it's not so good, and same with those who can maximize the artistic, but not the difficulty. this could somewhat marry the two together.

Artistically? Uhm... no. Okay, yeah I agree on this. I still think that her gymnastic (and much of USA team) is muscular rather than artistic.

agreed on both accounts.

Oh what a flashback, Podkopayeva's floor routine was awesome in Atlanta 96, that set the bar VERY high for years. 9.887, scary score back when they had still 10.

Right? I am watching old AA finals (Barcelona + Atlanta), and it was sooo good. (up until Tatiana Gutsu wins (sigh).

100% agree. I absolutely loved that balance beam routine. You don't have to do flip after flip to demonstrate world class balance. Honestly, it gets to the point where a routine looks disjointed in those cases. Those connected spins and the overall flow of the routine were awesome.

exactly. Like I know had Simone hadn't had the bobble, she wins, because it's so full of tricks. but like i've said, in my mind Sanne's is just as difficult and I don't think would have gotten the respect it deserved had Simone gone clean. I really hope that type of routine inspires AMERICAN gymnasts, so we can see the power AND the grace.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just read that if you want to appeal a decision in gymnastics (as Laurie Hernandez did yesterday) you have to pay $300.00 (in cash) on the spot! Now that's transparency!

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I just read that if you want to appeal a decision in gymnastics (as Laurie Hernandez did yesterday) you have to pay $300.00 (in cash) on the spot! Now that's transparency!

wow. it used to be 100 in Beijing. FIG made a quick 600 bucks then because France paid too. (you get the money back if you are successful).

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Murakami with a silly error, Wang with a very nice exercise but score not supporting her that much. Now Fasana, a very good exercise for her too.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Judging is pretty harsh. If Aly or Simone have a couple of hops or go out of bounds there is a definite chance they won't medal given these first three girls didn't and were knocked down good

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
That was higher than I thought she'd get, she did have a couple of hops on 2 of the 4 passes. For the record, watching this since 88 and I don't recall the last time through the first 5 competitors that nobody fell. Will be interested to see if Steingruber or Ferrari get rattled now, sometimes once a big score is up it has an effect

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
That was higher than I thought she'd get, she did have a couple of hops on 2 of the 4 passes. For the record, watching this since 88 and I don't recall the last time through the first 5 competitors that nobody fell. Will be interested to see if Steingruber or Ferrari get rattled now, sometimes once a big score is up it has an effect

And right on cue, Steingruber puts her hands down on the floor

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
And right on cue, Steingruber puts her hands down on the floor

I thought Aly and Simone going late could hurt them if they made a mistake because there would be less pressure on the first 4-5. Aly will need to stay in bounds to get silver otherwise Tinkler may get her. She often averages 15.2-15.3 so 3 tenths off could get her.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy

Agreed, IMO Biles was way better in the AA final rather than today. Still a stratosferic perfomance.

Steingruber with two falls, she was not here today.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If i told you before Rio China would only leave with two medals - would you believe me?

Aly's routine was a lot cleaner than Simone's. just saying.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Raisman execution was better than Biles probably, but Biles difficulty is crazy. I say silver for Raisman.

yup. (sigh).

(the sigh isn't that Biles won, it's just... bad execution drives me nuts).

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
So Aly is probably the most directed US gymnast ever if you consider she should have won a medal in 2012 and be one higher than Shannon Miller. I assume Biles isn't back at age 23 in 2020 which of course changes everything

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
So Aly is probably the most directed US gymnast ever if you consider she should have won a medal in 2012 and be one higher than Shannon Miller. I assume Biles isn't back at age 23 in 2020 which of course changes everything

Miller had 7.
even if she had the medal in 2012, Aly has 7 too.

but Aly beats her on gold. 2 team 1 individual, to Shannon's 2.
(stupid stupid, Steve Nunno. had he not been so obssessed about turning Shannon into a power gymnast, she could have won in Atlanta).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad