2016 Rio Olympics | Ceremonies and General Discussion

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I would slot Rio right below Sydney as a solid mid-tier Olympics since I began following them closely. Loosely ranked I would put them:

Barcelona 1992
London 2012
Beijing 2008
Sydney 2000
Rio 2016
Athens 2004
Atlanta 1996

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I would slot Rio right below Sydney as a solid mid-tier Olympics since I began following them closely. Loosely ranked I would put them:

Barcelona 1992
London 2012
Beijing 2008
Sydney 2000
Rio 2016
Athens 2004
Atlanta 1996

Barcelona for nostalgic reasons is my #1 aswell.

I have Atlanta up there aswell, also because of few gold medal games in Badminton and Handball that were epic.

Did not care for Beijing or London.

Sydney is my #3 and Athens was imo meh...

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Barcelona for nostalgic reasons is my #1 aswell.

I have Atlanta up there aswell, also because of few gold medal games in Badminton and Handball that were epic.

Did not care for Beijing or London.

Sydney is my #3 and Athens was imo meh...

The games in 1996 hosted by Coca-Cola (or technically Atlanta) were the example of corporate sponsorship gone too far, IMO. That combined with the loss of the USSR as a competitor made it seem like too much of an American event instead of an international event.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
^We're just lucky Dan v Dave was a spectacular failure for 1992.

Oddly enough for me, ATL is like a blur. I really only remember it for Izzy, questions over terrorism, Ali lighting the flame, gymnastics, and the bombing. Think Gloria Estefan had an Olympic song too.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
The games in 1996 hosted by Coca-Cola (or technically Atlanta) were the example of corporate sponsorship gone too far, IMO. That combined with the loss of the USSR as a competitor made it seem like too much of an American event instead of an international event.

like 1992, 1996 is pure nostalgia for me.

But I certainly see where you are coming from, no doubt.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Barcelona 1992
London 2012
Beijing 2008
Sydney 2000
Rio 2016
Athens 2004
Atlanta 1996

London 2nd? Really? I though London was pretty weak.

Beijing
Rio
Barca
Sydney
Atlanta
London
Athens

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Gloria indeed has a song. "Reach" i loved it.

for ranking. I think Rio was a solid middle ground, and actually i have it with London. it was a good/decent games. (ironic because Canada had their best games in 20 years)

Atlanta are my #1 because that's the one that lit the flame (even though Barcelona was my first).
but then
Beijing. [I have a very sneaky suspicion, Tokyo is going to smash that out of park though]
Barcelona
Rio
London
Sydney 2000
Athens 2004

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
Impossible for me to rank any of the Olympics. They are all memorable in different ways to me, similar to the different incarnations of The Doctor.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Impossible for me to rank any of the Olympics. They are all memorable in different ways to me, similar to the different incarnations of The Doctor.

:laugh: i understand that reference! ;)
like all doctors, some stand out more than others.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Does anyone else think that the Paralympic events should be included in the regular Olympics?

Yes, you would have to extend the games by a week, but who cares? The World Cup goes on for a month and would still be longer than an Olympic/Paralympic merger.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Does anyone else think that the Paralympic events should be included in the regular Olympics?

Yes, you would have to extend the games by a week, but who cares? The World Cup goes on for a month and would still be longer than an Olympic/Paralympic merger.

I don't feel strongly one way or the other.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
^We're just lucky Dan v Dave was a spectacular failure for 1992.

Oddly enough for me, ATL is like a blur. I really only remember it for Izzy, questions over terrorism, Ali lighting the flame, gymnastics, and the bombing. Think Gloria Estefan had an Olympic song too.

As a Canadian, 1996 is memorable for Donovan Bailey winning the 100m and Canada winning the 4x100m.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Well I'm officially in Olympic withdrawal now.

Hate this feeling.

On one hand I'd like them to make these things longer and more frequent to satisfy my own selfish needs, but on the other I realize that that would just reduce their uniqueness and public interest would go down.

Damn vicious circles.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
You are right, seems like very few people care to reveal the truth, and more are caught up in whatever narrative they want to use about these swimmers, who FWIW also did things wrong, like the Rio police did.

Do you have a personal stake in this?

You have been and are very vigilant about it...

Nothing has been proven yet, and so far that article has not done anything to atleast change my mind.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
From the beginning, I could tell that the story put out there by the Rio police seemed incorrect.

Now, there seems to be evidence that at least part of it is incorrect.

I was right. The story isn't as simple as it was made out to be. Some people were so naive to believe a ridiculously one-sided story. I wasn't.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
From the beginning, I could tell that the story put out there by the Rio police seemed incorrect.

Now, there seems to be evidence that at least part of it is incorrect.

I was right. The story isn't as simple as it was made out to be. Some people were so naive to believe a ridiculously one-sided story. I wasn't.

Congrats?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad