2016 Rio Olympics | Ceremonies and General Discussion

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The diverse cultural and societal aspects of a country being infused into the ceremonies and being put on display to the world is more than fine, obviously. Doesn't mean that focusing on particular things too much can seem like overkill though. Japan has an incredibly vibrant history that has nothing to do with video games and anime that will hopefully compromise a large part of their ceremonies.

Again, I doubt it will. I think it might be a big part of the closing. I lived in Asia for a while - gaming/anime is huge, and is very much intertwined with the cultural richness.

Sort of like in a sense, Vancouver's was very much Canadian history in the opening... then dancing beavers and hockey players in the closing.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The worst thing about the Olympics being over is no longer able to watch sports that I can only see every 4 years and being told "Nobody Cares". I'm talking about stuff like Gymnastics or Handball (especially Handball). The US doesn't air anything handball here and I don't even know how popular it is globally.

At least the Winter Olympics are in two years and we can see Skiing and international hockey, and bobsleding. We need more team sports for the winter olympics though.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
私は越えて東京2020のために興奮しています!
Watashi wa koete Tōkyō 2020 no tame ni kōfun ***** imasu!
(I am beyond stoked for Tokyo 2020!)

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The worst thing about the Olympics being over is no longer able to watch sports that I can only see every 4 years and being told "Nobody Cares". I'm talking about stuff like Gymnastics or Handball (especially Handball). The US doesn't air anything handball here and I don't even know how popular it is globally.

At least the Winter Olympics are in two years and we can see Skiing and international hockey, and bobsleding. We need more team sports for the winter olympics though.

I've been starting my twitter bombarding to TSN/Sportsnet/ESPN, to show more sports shown int he Olympics and don't let them die out..

it ticks me off.

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
Thanks to the Winter Olympics being earlier in the year, the wait between Summer and Winter Olympics is shorter than a wait between Winter and Summer Olympics. 536 days.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I've been starting my twitter bombarding to TSN/Sportsnet/ESPN, to show more sports shown int he Olympics and don't let them die out..

it ticks me off.

I hope that olympics channel becomes a reality. I remember many years ago there was a Universal Sports channel which showed the FIS Skiing championships. That's how I get to see Lindsey Vonn for the first time. Also, I love watching Downhill skiing and that channel aired it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Thanks to the Winter Olympics being earlier in the year, the wait between Summer and Winter Olympics is shorter than a wait between Winter and Summer Olympics. 536 days.

still too long :(

I hope that olympics channel becomes a reality. I remember many years ago there was a Universal Sports channel which showed the FIS Skiing championships. That's how I get to see Lindsey Vonn for the first time. Also, I love watching Downhill skiing and that channel aired it.

I don't understand why they don't. People keep wanting to go about ratings, but in my estimation, if they promote it - and actually dedicate radio time, paper coverage, etc to it, ratings will come. in Canada - TEN. CHANNELS. dedicated to sports. sometimes they show the world championships (not advertised tough), figureskating is a big thing so is curling but.... nothing.

Create an Olympic Sport channel, and shove EVERYTHING on there. there would be ratings.

I have to say that was the most beautiful cauldron put out ever. right up there with most beautiful as well (London's, Vancouver's, and Sydney are my top five for sure).

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
I wonder how long it will take Time Warner to actually get the Olympic channel? That def would be neat esp leading up to the Olympics themselves.

Speaking of, nifty closing. Really like how different things were from the cauldron to the party at the end. Glad everything went off well.

One thing I won't miss about the Olympics is Bob Costas and his moral minute. Gosh, I cannot stand that guy and am only really reminded every 2 years or when he's on a baseball game.

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
Well, it was a pleasure folks. The Summer Olympics was a great excuse for me to start posting here again, and it will continue well past these games.

See you around.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
bye bye Games..

눈에 가져와 2018 년 Peyongchang 에 여러분 모두 를 참조하십시오 !
nun-e gajyeowa 2018 nyeon Peyongchang e yeoleobun modu leul chamjohasibsio !
See you all in Peyongchang in 2018. Bring on the snow

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
The diverse cultural and societal aspects of a country being infused into the ceremonies and being put on display to the world is more than fine, obviously. Doesn't mean that focusing on particular things too much can seem like overkill though. Japan has an incredibly vibrant history that has nothing to do with video games and anime that will hopefully compromise a large part of their ceremonies.

I don't know. When London decided to turn their closing ceremony to a giant concert of british musicians past and present that was pretty bad ass.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I don't know. When London decided to turn their closing ceremony to a giant concert of british musicians past and present that was pretty bad ass.

That was my favorite part of the closing ceremony. You can show off your culture at the opening ceremony. The closing ceremony should be everyone coming together one more time and celebrating as a united world.

JA

Both Beijing and London showcased their historical culture and history in their respective opening ceremonies, while their closing ceremonies celebrated their popular culture.

Of course, modern urban Japan almost feels entirely separated from imperial Japan. I think there will be a heavier emphasis on the present and less on the past; Japan has had two Olympic games already. Tokyo is their metropolis -- it is their hub of culture and technology. The Tokyo ceremonies should be about Tokyo, both past and present, but mostly it should highlight their rich and diverse modern culture.

Last edited by a moderator:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

Handball is pretty popular in Europe and in some sense also north africa.

One champions league final had 40.000 spectators.

Brazil and Argentina play it at an ok level aswell.

There is a world cup coming up in january 2017. should be easy to stream.

The most fun is the olympics and EC though.

Best mens teams in the world are France, Denmark, Germany, Spain, and Croatia Im not sure any other mens team has medalled in the last 10-15 years other than Poland with a Bronze or two. Oh and Sweden with a freak Silver in London 2012.

Sweden was the **** in the 90s though.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Handball is pretty popular in Europe and in some sense also north africa.

One champions league final had 40.000 spectators.

Brazil and Argentina play it at an ok level aswell.

There is a world cup coming up in january 2017. should be easy to stream.

The most fun is the olympics and EC though.

Best mens teams in the world are France, Denmark, Germany, Spain, and Croatia Im not sure any other mens team has medalled in the last 10-15 years other than Poland with a Bronze or two. Oh and Sweden with a freak Silver in London 2012.

Sweden was the **** in the 90s though.

Iceland is good too. Very popular game there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad