2016 Rio Olympics | Ceremonies and General Discussion

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Does anyone else think that the Paralympic events should be included in the regular Olympics?

Yes, you would have to extend the games by a week, but who cares? The World Cup goes on for a month and would still be longer than an Olympic/Paralympic merger.

The villages would have to be bigger to accommodate everyone. That's about 4k more athletes including coaches and such.

It'll be interesting to see how NBC handles them this year. Supposedly they are adding more hours after being scolded over their pathetic London coverage. I'd rather they focus more on the athletes and events, but after their Lochte interview in prime time, I'm not sure that'll happen.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well I'm officially in Olympic withdrawal now.

Hate this feeling.

On one hand I'd like them to make these things longer and more frequent to satisfy my own selfish needs, but on the other I realize that that would just reduce their uniqueness and public interest would go down.

Damn vicious circles.

I know, right? you' think that being older the Olympic Depression would be less but no it's worse. (sigh). i miss the Games soo much. 17 days is just enough.

to the person who asked should Paralympics and Olympics be connected. no. Paralympians deserve their own day in the sun, and I think they'd just be eaten up in the crush of the Olympics.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Guess I'll shamefully(?) admit that I've never watched much of the Paralympic games as by the time the Olympics are finished, I'm usually too burnt out to go through another week and a half to two weeks of coverage. Plus I don't know/am not not familiar enough with the athletes to have much incentive to watch. And the coverage has always been pretty bare bones with either tape delayed highlight packages or an hour or two of randomly selected events shown here and there. Not very viewer friendly.

The Olympics put my life on hold, and while I'm sad when they end (more-so the Summer games, not as emotionally connected to the Winter ones), it's nice to find a healthier balance in terms of my professional/social life at the end of the games again. My dogs certainly are giddy with joy as well as finally it means consistent two-a-day long walks again and I actually remember they rely on me for their care, though I'm sure they'd disagree with that assessment. :laugh:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The villages would have to be bigger to accommodate everyone. That's about 4k more athletes including coaches and such.

Yeah I think that would be the biggest problem. Although the optimist in me thinks maybe it would allow to government to create publicly funded accessible housing for people with disabilities.

I did create a mock schedule for Rio using the same venues and lengths of time for events that suggests it is possible in 3 weeks. It isn't perfect but as a proof of concept I think that it shows with 7+ years of planning you could fit in all the extra events.

Oct 18, 2006
I know, right? you' think that being older the Olympic Depression would be less but no it's worse. (sigh). i miss the Games soo much. 17 days is just enough.

to the person who asked should Paralympics and Olympics be connected. no. Paralympians deserve their own day in the sun, and I think they'd just be eaten up in the crush of the Olympics.

Guess I'll shamefully(?) admit that I've never watched much of the Paralympic games as by the time the Olympics are finished, I'm usually too burnt out to go through another week and a half to two weeks of coverage. Plus I don't know/am not not familiar enough with the athletes to have much incentive to watch. And the coverage has always been pretty bare bones with either tape delayed highlight packages or an hour or two of randomly selected events shown here and there. Not very viewer friendly.

The Olympics put my life on hold, and while I'm sad when they end (more-so the Summer games, not as emotionally connected to the Winter ones), it's nice to find a healthier balance in terms of my professional/social life at the end of the games again. My dogs certainly are giddy with joy as well as finally it means consistent two-a-day long walks again and I actually remember they rely on me for their care, though I'm sure they'd disagree with that assessment. :laugh:
So true guys. To me the Olympics are simply the best, I look forward to them so much, I soak it all up and watch as much as I possibly can, then when they're over I have major withdrawals. I'm a bit empty right now, the worst part is simply turning on the TV and not having it on. Even if it wasn't a sport I love, the fact that it's the Olympics and it's on gave me great comfort.

My sleeping patterns were crazy, my energy levels low, I rarely left the house, all of that can start to recover, but I'll take the lack of sleep and fatigue any day for the sake of the Olympics. Truly the best sporting event there is.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

I have to completely disagree with the idea that paralympians would get lost in the Olympic coverage. I think they get lost now. How many paralympians can you name? How much does the Canadian news mention any Canadian Olympic medalists? How much does it mention any Canadian Paralympic medalists. If paralympians won Olympic medals they would get attention. A well balanced schedule (~50% of sports going on at any time being paralympic sports) would go even further to drive up interest. The IPC and IOC could even agree that a certain percentage of broadcasts need to be of paralympic events.

People often say that anymore time to the Olympics would be too much, but the World Cup is a month long and people don't lose interest.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I have to completely disagree with the idea that paralympians would get lost in the Olympic coverage. I think they get lost now. How many paralympians can you name? How much does the Canadian news mention any Canadian Olympic medalists? How much does it mention any Canadian Paralympic medalists. If paralympians won Olympic medals they would get attention. A well balanced schedule (~50% of sports going on at any time being paralympic sports) would go even further to drive up interest. The IPC and IOC could even agree that a certain percentage of broadcasts need to be of paralympic events.

People often say that anymore time to the Olympics would be too much, but the World Cup is a month long and people don't lose interest.

the world cup is a month long of 1 event.

the Olympics is 17 days of 27 sporting events - and a LOT of them don't get coverage. I am an Olympic freak. Summer, winter, I don't care for two weeks every four years it is can't miss television for me. and I am in MASSIVE withdrawal right now - but usually by day 15-Day 16, I'm tired too. The Olympic nut in me would be like YAAAAAY MORE GAMES - but I can honestly tell you that the likihood of me watching week three would be pretty darn waning.

[and I can be blunt. I give zero poops to world cups. like i don't. I don't watch soccer, and when it is
going on the first thing Isay is "wait, it's still happening?]. I know for some who don't care about the Olympics, feel the same way.. and it's two weeks.

Something I don't think you are putting into consideration is the following

1: Space.
this was one of the biggest games to date. More countries, more athletes (apprx 10.000 all together) and you want to add MORE athletes per federation (plus for those who are blind, or need assistance: those people too)

2: accessible space.
I'm not sure how 'accessible' things will be when you have a more flux of people. (again. fans, athletes etc)

3: they are their own federation. they just party at the same time/place as the gams
case in point - Russia. IOC didn't do anything (really) IPC said, screw that crap, no one from Russia is going.

4: Volunteers and funding.
I can't speak to how World Cups operate, but I know that the games do a turnaround of Volunteers (basically due to burn out, i don't think you can expect someone to volunteer for 3 weeks+ straight). Not to mention the budgets and operating costs are different and merging them would be difficult.

5: Recovery.
again. hosting 4 weeks of a MULTITUDE of sport, and literally having the world in your city, takes a lot of energy. having two sets of groups at the same time spells disaster. Again yes some events have 4 weeks, but it is ONE event. with less than 10,000 athletes I'm gonna imagine.

and I personally think - that the Paralympians deserve to have their specific moment in the sun, without being eclipsed by other people. like I' sorry, even considering their accomplishments, Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, Simone Biles and Kerri Jennings-Walsh ate the olympics as far as NBC is concerned. the next super star athlete - will do it again. And considering some of the practices NBC does, i don't think if the Usain Bolt of the Paralympic world would get equal coverage (say their version of the triple, triple), when Usain Bolt is doing it earlier and at the same time. [and if you want to go because it's able body vs. whatever - then sure. and I don't think we'd be far off from it].

personally speaking, I'll be like Ser Woof I don't have as much as a vested interest in the Paralympics, but I do watch I do check to see how Canada is doing, but, if it makes sense - it's not geared for me. Just like the Youth Olympic games aren't geared for me - and I wouldn't say that they should be attached to the Olympics too. I don't watch the University games, I don't watch the Canada Games, but I keep an eye out on them. but coverage IS there, and while sometimes focus is lacking, - there is focus. when it's on. Paralympic coverage could be a LOT better, but it's on to the point that I can watch if i needed. if it was more geared to me, I bet i could be more forth coming. with information. But when I fight for athlete support, I'm fighting for that across the board, including Paralympians.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Guys, staaaapppp.

The more you talk about the Olympics, the further in withdrawal I sink.

For my sake you have to STOP.

:laugh:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Rome, Paris, Budapest or LA.

Who do people think will get 2024?!

I think for a "oh we'e never been there before, " i hope Budapest gets it.

from what i've read - Rome is the front runner (but their Mayor is very anti-games, so we'll see).

Paris could get

but LA has the whole "well you were in Euro-Asia for 08, 12, 18, 20, 22" . Time for north america.

so... no idea.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Does anyone else feel old when talking about who will win the bid for the Olympics?

No, why do you feel that way?

So I am someone who loves seeing the Olympics go to new cities and countries (or at least ones they haven't been to for a long time), but also realizes that people who want a permanent host or rotation of permanent hosts have a point. What are peoples opinions on this? One idea I had is that maybe cities can be awarded 2 nonconsecutive Olympics. It would look something like this.

2016: Rio
2020: Tokyo
2024: Rio
2028: Tokyo
2032: x
2036: y
2040: x
2044: y

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Yeah I think that would be the biggest problem. Although the optimist in me thinks maybe it would allow to government to create publicly funded accessible housing for people with disabilities.

I did create a mock schedule for Rio using the same venues and lengths of time for events that suggests it is possible in 3 weeks. It isn't perfect but as a proof of concept I think that it shows with 7+ years of planning you could fit in all the extra events.

It would def be interesting, but I'd hate it if NBC overshadowed the Paralympians. But I do think the Paralympics need to have more coverage and interest esp in the states for that to happen at all. Maybe now that NBC realizes how much pull they might have (some say that with absolutely 0 coverage for Athens, it negatively affected NYC's 2012 bid) and with some complaining for how they've broadcasted it in the past, they'll finally come to.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I think for a "oh we'e never been there before, " i hope Budapest gets it.

from what i've read - Rome is the front runner (but their Mayor is very anti-games, so we'll see).

Paris could get

but LA has the whole "well you were in Euro-Asia for 08, 12, 18, 20, 22" . Time for north america.

so... no idea.

As I said earlier, I'd like to look at it with time zones in mind. Considering that, NA just "had" games and Asia being the next, I think it's time for "European" time zones again. I think this makes more sense since most of the people watch the games on telly.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
As I said earlier, I'd like to look at it with time zones in mind. Considering that, NA just "had" games and Asia being the next, I think it's time for "European" time zones again. I think this makes more sense since most of the people watch the games on telly.

When I was younger, I thought the best and fairest way to do it is have two big "wheels" with a wedge. One going clockwise, (for the summer), and one going counterclock wise for winter.

So when the wedge was in your part of the world - those were the ones who could bid (should they want to) then, the wheel turns again, etc etc.

North America's time zone hasn't had a games since Vancouver. (unless you mean South America - then yah, especially that it was only really 1 hr off). the last few games have been

Vancouver: [North American Time Zone]
London [European Time zone]
Sochi [Euro-Asia Time Zone]
Rio [North/South American Time Zone]
Peyongchang [Pacific-Asian Time Zone]
Tokyo [Pacific-Asian Time Zone]
Beijing [Pacific-Asian Time Zone]

so the next two (ideally) should be a North American/Western-Europe time zone. (which benefits Rome, Paris, LA) and any North American/Western-Europe winter bid. Technically. Again I know for me - I would rather have the Summer Olympics in Europe for 2024, and then in North America after Beijing, because I think it just.. works better in my life :laugh:

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I can not see Rio ever again (or at least in my lifetime). I would expect that most of the facilities will be abandoned or destroyed (the Rio Olympics were a flop/disaster for the country).

While fun to watch (I spent probably too much time watching), I really hope that my country (Canada) does not waste money on it. Somewhere like Los Angeles or Chicago or London or Paris etc... that is fine, places where they do not need to re-build the entire city and build so many venues from scratch to occupy the games. And I really doubt (after the disaster of Rio) they will be awarded to any 'developing/2nd world' type country again

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I can not see Rio ever again (or at least in my lifetime). I would expect that most of the facilities will be abandoned or destroyed (the Rio Olympics were a flop/disaster for the country).

While fun to watch (I spent probably too much time watching), I really hope that my country (Canada) does not waste money on it. Somewhere like Los Angeles or Chicago or London or Paris etc... that is fine, places where they do not need to re-build the entire city and build so many venues from scratch to occupy the games. And I really doubt (after the disaster of Rio) they will be awarded to any 'developing/2nd world' type country again

Nothing more than speculation on your part. The games did not go off without a hitch and there are still numerous socioeconomic factors at play in Rio that remain hurdles to overcome. Yes, some of the facilities are temporary and will be disassembled or re-imagined in terms of purpose, but there are plenty that will remain and become legacies of the game. Like the white water venue which will become a free gigantic water park complex that serves underprivileged youth.

Calling the Rio games a "disaster" or a "flop" just isn't accurate, especially considering it will take years and decades for the impact of them to be fully realized, understood and felt.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Nothing more than speculation on your part. The games did not go off without a hitch and there are still numerous socioeconomic factors at play in Rio that remain hurdles to overcome. Yes, some of the facilities are temporary and will be disassembled or re-imagined in terms of purpose, but there are plenty that will remain and become legacies of the game. Like the white water venue which will become a free gigantic water park complex that serves underprivileged youth.

Calling the Rio games a "disaster" or a "flop" just isn't accurate, especially considering it will take years and decades for the impact of them to be fully realized, understood and felt.

Oh, you are correct. It is speculation on my part, but judging by past Olympics (in countries that are not 'first world') Brazil will be paying for far too long (Montreal was also a disaster and Canada is considered 1'st world). Countries that are still developing (heck even developed) should be putting billions into other things.

I like to watch the games, but I sure as hell do not want my country to pay for them.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Oh, you are correct. It is speculation on my part, but judging by past Olympics (in countries that are not 'first world') Brazil will be paying for far too long (Montreal was also a disaster and Canada is considered 1'st world). Countries that are still developing (heck even developed) should be putting billions into other things.

I like to watch the games, but I sure as hell do not want my country to pay for them.

are you forgetting that Vancouver had the Games as well as Calgary, and they weren't disasters?

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
are you forgetting that Vancouver had the Games as well as Calgary, and they weren't disasters?

Both winter(much less expensive), but that being said Canada is a 1st world country unlike a developing country like Brazil. Again, I hope my country (Canada) does not blow billions for the games again.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Both winter(much less expensive), but that being said Canada is a 1st world country unlike a developing country like Brazil. Again, I hope my country (Canada) does not blow billions for the games again.

but that's assuming you have to "blow billions"
your whole thing is well even first world countries suffer, so I don't want Canada to do it. Which is your right to believe that - but not ALL first world countries suffer. (in either winter games, or summer games).

and I think when people want to bang the drums and say how bad the Games can be, they also ignore, or forget that the they create jobs (labour etc), they provide infrastructure improvements (which wouldn't happen without the games - ie: Vancouver's Sea to Sky was improved. if say Toronto got the games - things like TTC, high way repair, etc, would be fixed/improved).

Some of the headaches that Brazil/Rio had (Games related, and the World Cup before that), doesn't help. but for a country that has been struck by a recession (that can come out of no where), having the world come in and plump up the coffers help. needing to build things (ie: help the labour force) helps. installing a metro-system, (which never would have happened without the games), helps.

I don't think nor would i think the games are a disaster because people in Rio couldn't get to the events. becuse people in London couldn't go to the events. People in Beijing couldn't get to go. I remember some empty seats in for some events in Vancouver. Every games have their ughoh moment. Rio had the green pools. Vancover had the track that was deemed deadly. (and actually killed someone). And didn't snow. Nagano had TOO MUCH snow. Toino had crap ice. Salt Lake was a walking controversy.

I think it would very much benefit Canada to host another games. they won't though, all seven major cities turned down the COC's offer to help with biding if they choose - but i 100 percent bet it's not because they don't want them, but it's just that with the price of gas + oil, as it is, we have no idea where Canada's dollar is going to be. [as when Vancouver held the games, we were roughly around par with the US dollar].

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad