2016 Rio Olympics | Ceremonies and General Discussion

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
Yeah, makes me sad too. I remember after 2014 I needed to fill the international competitive sports void and tried watching the Winter X-Games, and that lasted for about 10 minutes. This year I'll try the tennis US Open. Might last longer, as I actually enjoy tennis.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah, makes me sad too. I remember after 2014 I needed to fill the international competitive sports void and tried watching the Winter X-Games, and that lasted for about 10 minutes. This year I'll try the tennis US Open. Might last longer, as I actually enjoy tennis.

I might get drawn into the World Cup but I don't think it's the same though. the Olympics is just.... different. like even in the Winter Games it takes me a while to get back into hockey.

it was also a great two weeks chatting with everyone here about the Games.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Anyone know if there is a schedule or website somewhere that lists competitions that are coming soon? Might watch some. IE. Diving Championships.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I might get drawn into the World Cup but I don't think it's the same though. the Olympics is just.... different. like even in the Winter Games it takes me a while to get back into hockey.

it was also a great two weeks chatting with everyone here about the Games.

The World Cup is ****. Just one sport, boring as hell (and I'm italian!) and the highlight often are the fans rioting and fighting each other. **** that!

I've been to three editions of the Olympics and the atmosphere is just... UNIQUE!

The Winter Games are limited for obvious reasons and they don't really reach the entire world as the Summer Olympic Games do. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is like the Summer Olympics.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Diamond League track starts next Saturday CBC said. (that blows my mind, like there's literally no rest for the weary).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The World Cup is ****. Just one sport, boring as hell (and I'm italian!) and the highlight often are the fans rioting and fighting each other. **** that!

I've been to three editions of the Olympics and the atmosphere is just... UNIQUE!

The Winter Games are limited for obvious reasons and they don't really reach the entire world as the Summer Olympic Games do. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is like the Summer Olympics.

:laugh: I meant world cup of hockey ;)

Someone asked me what I like more, and I think.... I enjoy the winter games more, because it's more intimate, and I can catch everything and I feel like i can "know" athletes more. But I LOVE the Summer Olympics because it's just... It's theater . (maybe it's because it's actually bigger and more premier sports).

wow it is RAINING hard on that stadium.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I have trouble looking forward to the winter games as much as the summer games, so it feels like a 4 year gap until I can really get excited again. Always a shame when the Summer Olympics end.

I enjoy the winter ones too, but the smaller scale, less competing countries and less sports/disciplines just doesn't make them feel as important/epic to me. Probably also because the Summer games have multiple things I've personally competed in whereas the Winter games do not.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I hope Tokyo's opening ceremony doesn't subject the non-nerd/geeks amongst us to endless anime/video game things.

I doubt they will they will in the Opening ceremonies. (like London didn't do (as much) Doctor Who, and all of that other stuff), but they also did a HUGE NHS piece and honouring their public health care system. - but It might be in the closing ceremonies, and it is a big part of their culture. It would be surprising if they didn't.

Remember :) it's them introducing their world and society to us, not catering to what we may/may not like.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The diverse cultural and societal aspects of a country being infused into the ceremonies and being put on display to the world is more than fine, obviously. Doesn't mean that focusing on particular things too much can seem like overkill though. Japan has an incredibly vibrant history that has nothing to do with video games and anime that will hopefully compromise a large part of their ceremonies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad