Prospect Info: 2016 Oilers Orientation Camp - July 2nd-7th (Jasper)

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
In fact, if memory serves, Katz gave Hockey Canada a bunch of money to pay for the Canadian Men's Olympic Team expenses. I'm sure Hockey Canada would like to keep that arrangement in place.

Katz and Nicholson know how to grease those wheels.

If that's the kind of BS that Hockey Canada is pulling to choose their teams then they deserve to keep missing out on medals. Take the best damn players, no matter where they were drafted or what NHL organization they're a part of.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If that's the kind of BS that Hockey Canada is pulling to choose their teams then they deserve to keep missing out on medals. Take the best damn players, no matter where they were drafted or what NHL organization they're a part of.

I'm confused as to what you mean by "keep missing out on medals." They've won Olympic Hockey the last 4 olympics, the last two world championships and are always competing in world juniors. Seems like they haven't missed out on too many medals.

Besides, I highly doubt Nicholson is greasing any wheels, and I also doubt that Renney has any special place in his heart for Oilers. It wasn't exactly a great separation as he was set up to fail and moved along as soon as the team started to get closer to competing (then set back by a Mr. Eakins).

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I'm confused as to what you mean by "keep missing out on medals." They've won Olympic Hockey the last 4 olympics, the last two world championships and are always competing in world juniors. Seems like they haven't missed out on too many medals.

Besides, I highly doubt Nicholson is greasing any wheels, and I also doubt that Renney has any special place in his heart for Oilers. It wasn't exactly a great separation as he was set up to fail and moved along as soon as the team started to get closer to competing (then set back by a Mr. Eakins).

Primarily the U20s where they've got 1 gold and 1 bronze in the last 5 years. I agree it's a crazy notion, and I don't believe it to be true, all I'm trying to say is if they were actually doing that then they deserve to keep missing.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

2 Olympics, they sucked in Torino.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
2 Olympics, they sucked in Torino.

Right, forgot about that. Definitely erased that one from my memory.

Anyways, seems like Caggiula played well, Benson was rusty. I'm happy with the pick as I think it has some potential but I can't imagine anyone is happier than Bob Stauffer. He's been talking about him for years, must have been grinning ear to ear that saturday morning. He might be a bit biased when talking about him.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer

That's funny, when I saw Nicholson and Renney having dinner at a hotel when I was in Calgary last summer, there didn't seem to be any problems between the two.

Nicholson still works with Hockey Canada on a number of ventures. Here's a story about something called the "Hockey Canada Academy" - a joint venture between the Oilers and Hockey Canada - which should be coming to Edmonton:

Oilers, Hockey Canada close to announcing hockey academy project for Edmonton

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Rogers Place, and the City of Edmonton, become a home base of sorts for Hockey Canada.

Very close, mutually beneficial relationship.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Primarily the U20s where they've got 1 gold and 1 bronze in the last 5 years. I agree it's a crazy notion, and I don't believe it to be true, all I'm trying to say is if they were actually doing that then they deserve to keep missing.

Well, notwithstanding your altruism, the truth is that there is plenty of politics in sports. Canada is probably one of the cleanest countries, in that regard.

In this case, I'm talking about high-end Oilers prospects being invited to a camp, not making the team ...

... and yes, I think the Oilers, or any of the NHL teams, could likely swing that for their prospects.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Well, notwithstanding your altruism, the truth is that there is plenty of politics in sports. Canada is probably one of the cleanest countries, in that regard.

In this case, I'm talking about high-end Oilers prospects being invited to a camp, not making the team ...

... and yes, I think the Oilers, or any of the NHL teams, could likely swing that for their prospects.

Minor hockey is completely rotten to the core in Canada. I don't doubt it's just as bad, if not worse, at higher levels.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
As he should, considering he's played at a higher level of hockey and is older than most of the other players in attendance.

Well, and the game was dominated by the older guys. The MVP was arguably a 26-year-old who played in the ECHL last year. Not exactly a great or even fair showcase for the teenagers.

However...

Looking forward to seeing how Biro stacks up. From the games I caught locally he was a dynamo with speed and energy for days. Maybe not the highest skill level but with his heart and two-way acumen there might be something there.

Biro looked great in the highlights. Used that speed and effort to drive the play, and he set up two goals in the process. Carbon-copy setups to what I saw him do all year.

Wonder if he gets a contract. However, that means college is out and he'll need to make the jump to the WHL. Rights owned by the Broncos but maybe we can move them on over to the Oil Kings. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad