Prospect Info: 2016 Oilers Orientation Camp - July 2nd-7th (Jasper)

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=888058

roster.jpg

Glad to see Descheneau invited, good player who missed most of the year with injuries.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Glad we invited Biro. Going into the year he was projected to be drafted out of the AJHL but he wasn't as dominant as people hoped.

I wish Pasichnuk was on the list though.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
There are definitely some interesting camp invite names there including Biro, Aston-Reese (who led his NCAA team in scoring with over a point-per-game), Descheneau (who scored almost 100 points in the WHL as an 18 year old), and Desimone (who has size and put up decent offensive numbers on a low-scoring Union College team). At first glance, these are some more interesting names than we usually invite.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Glad we invited Biro. Going into the year he was projected to be drafted out of the AJHL but he wasn't as dominant as people hoped.

I wish Pasichnuk was on the list though.

I would've liked to see Pasichnuk too, unfortunately he's going to the Wild's camp.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Wow a ton of NCAAers. I like that we got Descheneau had some potential but had a year worse than Benson.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Watching that puff piece on Descheneau, I get the impression that he's another one of those kids who let the stress of earning an entry level contract after being drafted get into his head a bit during his 19 yr old season, impacting his performance.

A small skilled winger who's a long shot to make the NHL, but definitely an interesting invite given his very good WHL numbers...>PPG as a 17 yr old, followed by a 98 point season in his draft+1 season.

Glad the Oilers gave him an invite, hopefully they haven't completely turned a blind eye towards speed and skill, in favour of big and lumbering tomato cans.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Dumb question - is Jarvi healthy right now? Thought for some reason we wouldn't see him until TC.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Dumb question - is Jarvi healthy right now? Thought for some reason we wouldn't see him until TC.

His on-ice participation will be "limited" according to Oilers twitter. Initially the plan was to not skate at all until August so I guess the good news is that he's made progress in recovery.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Some extremely inspired invites there. I would have been happy if our draft resembled the trend of this list- smaller but skilled wingers from diverse backgrounds, some bigger, older CHL players, a wealth of RHD and collegiate players.

Looking forward to seeing how Biro stacks up. From the games I caught locally he was a dynamo with speed and energy for days. Maybe not the highest skill level but with his heart and two-way acumen there might be something there. Fram is someone who could step into our piss-poor RHD pipeline and open some eyes on the farm. Soustal is a pro-type center who could take another major leap next year.

If nothing else this is a great way to re-stock the winger cupboards that are as of right now mostly barren.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
That is strange. He's from Edmonton, maybe he bumped into the right person at the supermarket this June and made a good impression?

He and Benik were signed by the Condors in April. This is their introduction to the system as neither has had a chance yet to properly meet with the coaching and support staff they'll have access to as "Oilers" prospects.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
interesting group, i like the looks of this hopefully some of these guys wow us

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Nice group of forwards with Puljujarvi, Benson and Caggiula. Finally some offensive prospect depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad