Prospect Info: 2016 Oilers Orientation Camp - July 2nd-7th (Jasper)

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I have a good feeling about Benson. Lots of talent, hard worker and if he can stay healthy I wouldn't be surprised to see him sneak into the lineup in 2017-18.

I hope he and Bear play for Canada in the World Juniors.

The Oilers may have a few guys there with:
Jones and for the US, maybe Marino and McPhee.
Niemelainen and Rasanen for Finland,
Berglund for Sweden

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

Berglund for Sweden

Hopefully, but Benson and Bear didn't get invites to the Team Canada's summer camp. So that's not a great sign.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015

Berglund for Sweden

The offense of Finland is pretty stacked, so there's a good chance that Räsänen doesn't make the team this year. He is definitely in the running though. On the other hand, Niemeläinen is pretty much a lock at this point.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hopefully, but Benson and Bear didn't get invites to the Team Canada's summer camp. So that's not a great sign.

That's also why Team Canada always lose in the years they snub Oilers prospects

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
It sucks that Bear didn't get an invite but it's not shocking to me TBH. I wasn't too familiar with some of the picks but they all seem like reasonable picks over Bear. Teams only need so many PP options and it's likely that Fabbro and Roy take care of that for RHD. IMO Bear doesn't bring enough outside the powerplay to be a real option for the team.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
How did Bear not get an invite? That's pretty crazy. I guess he and Benson will have to earn invites to the main camp. I'm not surprised Benson isn't going to the summer camp, I just hope he tears it up in Vancouver and they have to bring him in.

Where can I see a list of the invites to summer camp?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Not much to go on, but Stauffer did briefly mention that he's heard from viewers at the camp so far that Benson has looked very good.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Hard not to like this kid. Wells seems like such a genuine and happy guy. I'll be rooting for him this year.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
It sucks that Bear didn't get an invite but it's not shocking to me TBH. I wasn't too familiar with some of the picks but they all seem like reasonable picks over Bear. Teams only need so many PP options and it's likely that Fabbro and Roy take care of that for RHD. IMO Bear doesn't bring enough outside the powerplay to be a real option for the team.
Bear was a first team WHL all star last year, it's hard to say he's only good for the power play. For comparison sake, Juulsen was a second team all star and he was invited. It's BS.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Bear was a first team WHL all star last year, it's hard to say he's only good for the power play. For comparison sake, Juulsen was a second team all star and he was invited. It's BS.

I didn't say he's only good for the power play, I said he doesn't bring enough outside of the power play. And even then, that's only in comparison to the top ~14 u20 defensemen in Canada. Juulsen and Bear each had 13 primary points at even strength this year

Yes, Bear was on the WHL WESTERN CONFERENCE First All-Star Team over Juulsen, but that isn't much of an argument. Last year Sam Reinhart was a 2nd team East Conf. All-Star behind Trevor Cox, Tim McGauley and Brayden Point last year. Obviously these teams aren't picked on who makes the All Star team...

It's certainly something debatable, but it's not BS IMO.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Gentlemen, don't worry about invites to the Canada U20 camp for Benson, and Bear.

Bob Nicholson will get that done. He used to run Hockey Canada, and now Tom Renney is in Nicholson's old job.

So long as they play well to open the WHL season, they'll be going.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
In fact, if memory serves, Katz gave Hockey Canada a bunch of money to pay for the Canadian Men's Olympic Team expenses. I'm sure Hockey Canada would like to keep that arrangement in place.

Katz and Nicholson know how to grease those wheels.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
In fact, if memory serves, Katz gave Hockey Canada a bunch of money to pay for the Canadian Men's Olympic Team expenses. I'm sure Hockey Canada would like to keep that arrangement in place.

Katz and Nicholson know how to grease those wheels.

Greasers gonna grease.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad