2016 NHL Entry Draft (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why are they playing Nylander at C with the Marlies then?

Yeah, I was under the impression they were going to make Nylander a C, hence the extra time in the AHL.

I think it is a case of 'that was then, this is now'. When they decided to make Nylander into a C they didn't have Matthews. They really need a 1C. It isn't certain that Nylander becomes that but better relying on him than on Kadri. With Matthews (or Stamkos) that just isn't necessary any more.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Do you think Petan will be a C in the NHL? I don't think you can draw to much in to AHL deployment.

I realize that but I just think Nylander has a better chance of playing C in the NHL than Petan does. IMO

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Matthews is a very special talent. He already looks more polished than Larkin. He has fantastic skills and is a big body. I think he'll adapt just fine, and the Jets can put him in an ideal situation starting behind two top-notch centers.

I am not questioning the talent. I just think playing C in the west is a steep learning curve.

I agree him being a 3rd line C on Winnipeg is a good place to mature.This isn't an anti-Matthews take. It is more of a different expectation level for Centres in this league from me.

He will be facing big challanges in talent, physicality, conditioning, and a gruelling schedule that I don't think he has come close to seeing before.

He will figure it out, I just think it may take a year or two in TO. Crash course in the media bubble as well. I don't think he is as good as Eichel, but I am no expert.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think it is a case of 'that was then, this is now'. When they decided to make Nylander into a C they didn't have Matthews. They really need a 1C. It isn't certain that Nylander becomes that but better relying on him than on Kadri. With Matthews (or Stamkos) that just isn't necessary any more.

Also, as someone who still follows the Leafs on a part-time basis, I don't think Nylander was going to be a true #1 C in the league. He's a very good number 2, and an ok number 1, but not a solid number 1 game by game.

Adding Matthews just gives them the luxury. I think they'd rather have a couple of wingers that they know they can move into the middle if they have to, then to take the winger and gamble that Nylander is the C to take them further.

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
I think Cheveldayoff's comments from this Finnish interview haven't been translated here yet? http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-8884440

I'll give it a shot:

- Our scouting process is still ongoing and it will be great to see both Laine and Matthews here on the WHC.

- We've been trying to evaluate the players here on the highest possible level by sending a lot of our staff here.

- Our scouts have had a good chance to watch Laine during the spring also in the Liiga playoffs, and he was excellent in those games.

- Personally I saw the wonderful performances by him and Puljujärvi in the WJC. We have been scouting them a lot. Our organization will have a great chance to get a young, fantastic player when we will make the second overall pick.

(Q: Is there any hype growing in Winnipeg for Patrik Laine?)
- We need to remember that Winnipeg has a very close relationship with Teemu Selänne. There will be an NHL outdoor game next winter in the city and there will also be a game for veterans. I think the citizens want to see Teemu more than any other player. (Cheveldayoff laughs)

(About Laine)
- He's not just a sniper, he can also be a playmaker and make great passing plays. He can pass through the skates of a defender.

- Laine's game has developed a lot during the season. It looks like he has become even stronger and also has better strength in battles. His hockey IQ has also gotten better. We need to remember that he's still a young player and his body will continue getting physically stronger.

- I think when Laine is succesful in scoring and playmaking in these high-level international games his mental strength is growing. It's experiences like these that boost the self-confidence and mental strength of a young player like Laine.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Classic Chevy misdirection...

"(Q: Is there any hype growing in Winnipeg for Patrik Laine?)
- We need to remember that Winnipeg has a very close relationship with Teemu Selänne. There will be an NHL outdoor game next winter in the city and there will also be a game for veterans. I think the citizens want to see Teemu more than any other player. (Cheveldayoff laughs)"

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Also, as someone who still follows the Leafs on a part-time basis, I don't think Nylander was going to be a true #1 C in the league. He's a very good number 2, and an ok number 1, but not a solid number 1 game by game.

Adding Matthews just gives them the luxury. I think they'd rather have a couple of wingers that they know they can move into the middle if they have to, then to take the winger and gamble that Nylander is the C to take them further.

I think it would be a huge gamble to think that Nylander will be a true #1 C. He might get there eventually, but I don't think you could count on it.

I suppose they might view Stamkos as an option at #1, and take Laine instead as a top-end winger. However, Stamkos plays like a scoring winger, even when he's playing C. He doesn't really have the 200 ft. game of a true #1 C. If the Leafs go for Stamkos, they are probably still smart to go with Matthews who plays a completed game as a #1 C. Stamkos can be more like the sniper that you would hope Laine becomes.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Classic Chevy misdirection...

"(Q: Is there any hype growing in Winnipeg for Patrik Laine?)
- We need to remember that Winnipeg has a very close relationship with Teemu Selänne. There will be an NHL outdoor game next winter in the city and there will also be a game for veterans. I think the citizens want to see Teemu more than any other player. (Cheveldayoff laughs)"

Classic.

On the other hand, not sure what he was supposed to say. "Yes, there is a tremendous amount of hype growing for Laine in Winnipeg". Or, "no, there isn't much hype for Laine". Neither answer seems particularly useful, all things considered.

I think it was his way of indicating that the Winnipeg fans are likely to welcome a Finnish star very warmly, as they did Teemu.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Classic.

On the other hand, not sure what he was supposed to say. "Yes, there is a tremendous amount of hype growing for Laine in Winnipeg". Or, "no, there isn't much hype for Laine". Neither answer seems particularly useful, all things considered.

I think it was his way of indicating that the Winnipeg fans are likely to welcome a Finnish star very warmly, as they did Teemu.

I'd bet that Chevy is aware that there is 'tremendous hype' growing for Laine in Winnipeg. No harm in him admitting something that is there for everyone to see. This is what annoys me about Chevy's secretiveness. It is one thing to keep internal matters secret and not let the competition know what he is thinking. It is another to discuss something that is not sensitive at all. There is no harm in saying, "Yes the fans are assuming we will take Laine and are getting very excited about him but we haven't made the decision who we will pick."

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think it would be a huge gamble to think that Nylander will be a true #1 C. He might get there eventually, but I don't think you could count on it.

I suppose they might view Stamkos as an option at #1, and take Laine instead as a top-end winger. However, Stamkos plays like a scoring winger, even when he's playing C. He doesn't really have the 200 ft. game of a true #1 C. If the Leafs go for Stamkos, they are probably still smart to go with Matthews who plays a completed game as a #1 C. Stamkos can be more like the sniper that you would hope Laine becomes.

Yeah I don't see any situation where they don't pick Matthews. They don't really need Laine and the Stamkos decision won't (or shouldn't at least) affect their drafting decision.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd bet that Chevy is aware that there is 'tremendous hype' growing for Laine in Winnipeg. No harm in him admitting something that is there for everyone to see. This is what annoys me about Chevy's secretiveness. It is one thing to keep internal matters secret and not let the competition know what he is thinking. It is another to discuss something that is not sensitive at all. There is no harm in saying, "Yes the fans are assuming we will take Laine and are getting very excited about him but we haven't made the decision who we will pick."

How does it help for Chevy to confirm that there is hype for Laine in Winnipeg? I really don't get how that helps. Instead, he referenced how Winnipeg fans are great and embraced Selanne. That seems like a better response to a Finnish reporter.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How does it help for Chevy to confirm that there is hype for Laine in Winnipeg? I really don't get how that helps. Instead, he referenced how Winnipeg fans are great and embraced Selanne. That seems like a better response to a Finnish reporter.

You are being too specific. :) In general this is a good example of how Chevy keeps everything to himself even things that can be freely shared without penalty. Would it kill him to occasionally give a simple, direct answer to a simple direct question?

In this case he didn't answer the question and then expand a bit with the Selanne reference. He avoided the question altogether. There was no need to avoid it. It is just so much a part of his style he habitually avoids questions whether necessary to do so or not. Not a biggie. I don't expect a lot of info from any GM but Chevy takes it to an extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad