2016 NHL Entry Draft (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Here's Babcock talking a bit about Matthews and Laine:
http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/sneak-peek-babcock-talks-matthews-laine~870947

Is it just me, or does he seem a bit more enthusiastic when he starts talking about Laine? And what was that comment about selling tickets in Jersey about?

:laugh: Yeah. He knows he is getting Matthews so speaks carefully perhaps? He knows he is not getting Laine so nothing he says will bite him later on.

Selling tickets in Jersey as visiting teams. Star players are good for the whole league.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Lemieux was a beast on skates that could absolutely fly but Laine is even bigger than he was at 18.
The kid is a massive 18 yo. 210 on a 6'4 frame is large. Looks like it's mostly upper body strength though.

I'd like to go back to tempering expectations...there are some drawing Lemieux comparisons. I think those comparisons are pretty insane. Even McDavid I wouldn't put anywhere near Mario. I think we need to slow down. I hope we don't get into a situation where him and Kyle Connor are expected to win the Stanley Cup next year.

I hope the Jets remain patient. I think some Moose time for both Laine and Connor could be wise. Let Laine learn some English and get settled. I certainly don't want to get sucked into thinking about shortcuts at this point. If there were ever a time to stick to the plan and see it through..it's now.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I'd like to go back to tempering expectations...there are some drawing Lemieux comparisons. I think those comparisons are pretty insane. Even McDavid I wouldn't put anywhere near Mario. I think we need to slow down. I hope we don't get into a situation where him and Kyle Connor are expected to win the Stanley Cup next year.

I hope the Jets remain patient. I think some Moose time for both Laine and Connor could be wise. Let Laine learn some English and get settled. I certainly don't want to get sucked into thinking about shortcuts at this point. If there were ever a time to stick to the plan and see it through..it's now.

Comparisons are for playing styles. No one expects Laine to put up lemieux's numbers, and no one expects a cup anytime soon. If they need time in the AHL, they'll get it, but most managers and scouts have already said both are NHL ready.

rymr66

Jun 6, 2011
winnipeg
Laine knows English pretty well for someone that just turned 18.

finland has one of the highest rates/percentages of english speakers for a non-english speaking country in the world

i guess his level of english is okay, but his age isn't really that much of a factor - last time i taught in korea i taught 3 year olds - and one or two of my students were very fluent

and if he needs english language lessons, i will gladly teach him for free

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Comparisons are for playing styles. No one expects Laine to put up lemieux's numbers, and no one expects a cup anytime soon. If they need time in the AHL, they'll get it, but most managers and scouts have already said both are NHL ready.

Yeah I don't understand why people get their knickers in a twist when you compare a young draft eligible player to any of the superstars in this league present or past. People seem to take offence to it or something. The kids game has similarities to Ovechkin and Lemieux get over it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm not sure why people need to be told to temper expectations. Does it really matter how high any of our expectations are? believing the best case is possible is part of the fun talking about prospects, especially top of the draft prospects.

The Jets will work to maximize potential and with a talent like Laine I don't see AHL time as part of the learning curve. He has already played pro hockey. In fact he got the playoff MVP their top pro league. He is now one of the top players for Finland in the WHC. He has already moved well past the A. He needs to continue to develop against NHLers. Being patient with him will be putting him in positions to experience success at the NHL level. He will probably get some sheltering and be gifted some offensive opportunities. Rarely are one of the top 2 picks not ready for the NHL.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax

Laine reminds me of a mix of Jagr, Mario and Ovi mixed together. However I am not expecting him to reach the level of any of those guys. Is it possible? yeah sure anythings possible, he's doing something really special right now, but by no means do I expect him to have a career like any of the above. This post reminds me of the leafs fans jumping over anyone praising Laine. Like a poster above stated, the comparisons are in regards to playing style - not saying that Laine will have a similar or better career than whoever he is compared to.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Laine reminds me of a mix of Jagr, Mario and Ovi mixed together. However I am not expecting him to reach the level of any of those guys. Is it possible? yeah sure anythings possible, he's doing something really special right now, but by no means do I expect him to have a career like any of the above. This post reminds me of the leafs fans jumping over anyone praising Laine. Like a poster above stated, the comparisons are in regards to playing style - not saying that Laine will have a similar or better career than whoever he is compared to.

Lemieux's back problems, Jagr's gambling problems, and Ovi's gray hair and inability to win in the playoffs?:sarcasm:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
finland has one of the highest rates/percentages of english speakers for a non-english speaking country in the world

i guess his level of english is okay, but his age isn't really that much of a factor - last time i taught in korea i taught 3 year olds - and one or two of my students were very fluent

Well I guess that shows how much I know. :laugh:

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland

Most Finnish speak awkward english though due to the pronounciation being whole different, where comes the finnish accent and the hesitation. Still most of the Finns can english pretty well.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Lemieux's back problems, Jagr's gambling problems, and Ovi's gray hair and inability to win in the playoffs?:sarcasm:

Don't worry. There won't be any more Finns on the Jets. After seeing this, I can't see Toronto passing on Laine. And Babcock pretty much gave it away with his body language.

On Matthews: (Slumped) blah blah good parents... yep pretty special...
On Laine: (Perks up) BUT THAT LANEY KID, DAMN...

Until he remembers he's not supposed to spill the beans, then it's all...

Well, of course, they'll both be really good players for their teams, blah blah...

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Say no more, Mike.

Better put together a highlight reel for Matthews. I'm as sure of his coming our way as I am that Liz is alive on The Blacklist. :nod:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
What happens to Laine stock if he scores a hat trick againts Canada?

Does he virtually tie Matthews on first overall?

I like laine , Hets really need badly his game breaking ability. Though Matthews slots in perfectly as Jets 3rd C this year.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg

I like laine , Hets really need badly his game breaking ability. Though Matthews slots in perfectly as Jets 3rd C this year.

I think at this point, Matthews going to Toronto is 99% set in stone regardless unless he suffers a career threatening injury.

So, if Laine performs better, it's really only already more good news for us.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Around here his stock explodes through the roof. Still think no matter what happens the Leafs take Matthews.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Both player have performed as advertised. I doubt anyone has changed their minds based on play this tournament.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If Leafs pass on Matthews we win, if they take Matthews and we get Laine we win too. We really had no business drafting this high with this roster

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
The Leafs are taking Matthews.

They are not taking a winger over a Centre. It really is that simple when there does not appear to be a huge difference between the two.

I get the impression that Matthews has more question marks about being able to handle the physicality at Centre. The first time you line up across from someone like Jeff Carter at the dot and he eats your lunch you will be a little shook I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad