2016 NHL Entry Draft (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think a #2 for #3 swap only works if Columbus likes Laine a lot more than Pulju, and the Jets prefer Laine, but think the gap is close between the two, or they prefer Pulju. Columbus needs to approach the Jets, not the other way around. That's the scenario where the Jets would get the most value.

If Matthews slips to #2, I could see some huge offers coming to the Jets, and I could see them perhaps even entertaining some.

I sure as heck hope not. Wouldn't we just be doing cartwheels that we'd have a Matthews/Scheifele/Little combo for a minimum of 2 more years and likely Scheifele/Matthews for probably at least 7+?

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners
Just wondering....

How likely is it the the Jets approach Columbus, find out who they want, and then tell Columbus... OK, we won't pick so-and-so at number two, but we want you to throw in a later draft pick so we don't.

Sorry, didn't see the discussion above.... just wonder if Columbus would do this.

Jarmo would be pretty foolish to disclose the player he wanted. I don't think he's foolish.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
I'm not sure why Chevy would be making that call. I would think the onus would be on Jarmo but even if he did. Chevy would indicate his price and Columbus either pays it or stays at #3

The chain of conversation started with

If they're seriously considering Pulju over Laine, they need to trade with CBJ down to #3. Absolutely no excuse for taking him at #2.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Just wondering....

How likely is it the the Jets approach Columbus, find out who they want, and then tell Columbus... OK, we won't pick so-and-so at number two, but we want you to throw in a later draft pick so we don't.

Sorry, didn't see the discussion above.... just wonder if Columbus would do this.

Probably unlikely, although I think that was part of Burke's 1999 draft dealings. He traded the #1 overall to Atlanta for #2 under the condition they didn't draft a Sedin.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
It is possible, but how high would you go in this game of poker? I can't imagine it would be that high - unless the teams value the pair of players very very differently.

This kind of deal is basically just two GMs saying "I'm smarter than you."

Sure, both players are wingers, the same age, and at the top of the draft. So I can see where you're coming from.

But don't all deals hinge on teams placing different value on the players? At the very least, how that player fits into their club? Why is this any different?

Stylistically, Laine and Pulju are quite distinct. Different GMs may place different value on that. They may find one or the other a more suiting piece to their existing players, or coaching style. Maybe their scouting reports are leaning different ways. Maybe they weigh personality factors differently. So yes, the deal does hinge around a difference in perceived value of the two players.

Still, I can imagine a scenario where the deal would be no different than any regular trade. For example, maybe if CBJ had a surplus of prospects in a position we need (like defense). To the Jets, Pulju + D prospect is more valuable than Laine. To CBJ, Laine is more valuable.

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine
Hypothetically, What if Chevy would rather take a LHD like Chychrun?

If Columbus knows Chevy wants to trade down and truly covet Laine over Pulujarvi, they offer up some compensation to move to 2 so that one of those 5-10 teams can't move up and snag Laine. Happens occ'ly in the NFL draft, not often, but it does.
Chevy can try moving down further in the draft if he wishes from the 3spot.

I don't like this idea, but it's one permutation to think about.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Why would ckb trade up? If our tea.Saym pulji is better then laine, then why would they draft laine at 2?

Therefore, why clb offer to trade up? They already know we pulji, thus they can get laine at three.

The only way the trade makes sense is if the jets think pulji is worse but are ok getting more assets plus the lower player, which doesn't really make a tonne if sense either.

Asking a team below you by one spot to trade up to your pick tips your hand, you feel the best guy isn't he guy they'd take.

Therefore they already know that guy will be there at there pick regardless if they trade with you.

Your hand is tipped. Makes no sense for Columbus.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah trading back by one pick that high in the draft would require the entire organization below you to be complete idiots. Why are we even entertaining this conversation?

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Yeah trading back by one pick that high in the draft would require the entire organization below you to be complete idiots. Why are we even entertaining this conversation?

Why not respond to the thoughts and arguments given, and provide a counter-argument why you think they're wrong?

If you don't want to do that, please don't dis those of us who are enjoying the conversation. It's annoying. :rant:

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Maybe a situation exists where swapping 2OA for 3OA is part of a larger package.

I'd love the Jets to get their hands on Werenski. Maybe a blockbuster like 2OA, 22nd, Dano and Burmi for 3OA, Werenski and Kerby Rychel or something like that.

Jets could walk away with PoolParty (if they rate him that highly), an absolute stud LHD addressing the organizations biggest weakness and Rychel (who has asked for a trade and would need protecting in the expansion draft, but likely won't be protected by the Jets or the Jackets.)

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Why would ckb trade up? If our tea.Saym pulji is better then laine, then why would they draft laine at 2?

Therefore, why clb offer to trade up? They already know we pulji, thus they can get laine at three.

The only way the trade makes sense is if the jets think pulji is worse but are ok getting more assets plus the lower player, which doesn't really make a tonne if sense either.

Asking a team below you by one spot to trade up to your pick tips your hand, you feel the best guy isn't he guy they'd take.

Therefore they already know that guy will be there at there pick regardless if they trade with you.

Your hand is tipped. Makes no sense for Columbus.

I don't think this is necessarily true.

Could it not be that the Jets don't see much of a difference between JP and Laine, but are leaning towards Laine. However, they may think CBJ values Laine a lot higher than JP and would be willing to give up assets that the Jets believe is worth more than the difference between JP and Laine?

Doesn't mean they wouldn't pick Laine if CBJ said we won't offer anything of value with 3rd for 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad