2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pretty sure it was Forsberg, not Dorian, who lobbied for Karlsson.

My guess is Forsberg convinced Dorion, and they both lobbied for Karlsson.

Ottawa assistant general manager Pierre Dorion scouted Karlsson at an under-18 tournament in 2008.

"He was 5-10 and just under 160 pounds, but you saw something special there as far as puck skills," Dorion said. "Skating was good, but wasn't as dimensional as it is now. You saw the puck skills and the offensive ability and you just said, 'Wow.'

"I remember calling [Senators general manager] Bryan [Murray] and saying, 'I just saw a guy who I think can be a star in the NHL.' "

At the 2008 NHL Draft, Murray traded up to take Karlsson, because he heard the Anaheim Ducks were going to select him with the No. 16 pick. Ottawa, at No. 18, made a trade with the Nashville Predators to move up to No. 15.

"Was it a bit of a gamble?" Dorion said. "At that point in time it was, but you knew he was going to go in the first round some time.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The point about centers is getting the quality of centers to be a true contender. Not to be in line with an average NHL team. So when I talk about having a great 1-2 punch at center, I'm not talking about good enough to be argued as average in the league.

Turris is definitely a #1 center in terms of being one of the top 30 centers in the league, but the point is that if he is your #1 center, you are already behind the 8 ball because he is not one of the top 15 centers in the league by any means of measurement or subjectivity, so when you go up against the rest of the top teams whose #1 centers range from Crosby, Datsyuk, Bergeron, Giroux, Stamkos, Toews, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Thornton etc, you have to be better every where else. Not easy.

Which brings us to our #2 center. While Zbad has garnered enough PP points over the last two years to just crack the 50 point threshold, from an overall impact on the game perspective, he is a below average 2nd line center at best. And when your 1st line center is already over his head going head-to-head against the best centers in the world come playoff time, you hope you have the advantage on the 2nd line. And so it goes.

He may prove me wrong, but Zbad is a lot like Fisher and Vermette. Good enough to be a top 6 center on a losing team, but if he is one of your top 2 centers, you are not winning a cup. That has been the case with Fisher and Vermette through their careers. They've put up terrific numbers at times when given quality ice time, but they are not top 6 centers for a true contender. It's no surprise that when we made it to the cup, we added another center so we had great depth (Comrie) and we still ended up losing because we were essentially a one line team, despite having Comrie, Fisher and Vermette at center behind Spezza.

There are some exceptions to the elite 1-2 punch center formula that wins cup, but very few. The Rangers are an example of a team trying to capture an alternative formula and falling short. Many teams have come close and failed, while only a few (New Jersey a few times, and Anaheim once) have done it. And both of those teams were ridiculously stacked in other areas with hall of famers.

Of note, Kane is the real center on that Chicago line. A lot has been written on it already, but he roams everywhere with little defensive responsibility (by design of putting him on the wing), but once Chicago gets the puck, he is for all intents and purposes the center in terms of carrying the puck and dictating play.

Is Pageau, Lazar or even White going to elevate play above Zbad considerably? maybe White will. Maybe he won't be as good. And even if he is, centers are the most versatile forwards - they can easily move to the wing.

So if you get a chance to get an elite skilled center around the top 10 in the draft, you take him, unless another player is that much better overall. So if Jost or Keller or Brown are someone our scouts love, that last thing you do is veto for a position pick, especially when we have below average 1-2 centers right now. That's the point.

I agree with your assessment. We definitly need a top tier Center on the first line. The team does not have one now and likely won't next year too. Getting Mathews is a 2.5% prbability.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
New redline report including coverage from the U-18 tournament

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/draft/2016/04/22/nhl-draft-jost-fabbro-nylander-gustavsson/83404180/

screen-shot-2016-04-22-at-5-05-39-pm.jpg

Bean and Fabbro in the top 10.

Jost, Keller, Brown have not cracked it. Which could be good news for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad