2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm not doubting the kid's skill or abilities. The clips I have seen of him are very impressive. But playing 70+ games of major junior + tournaments has a different effect that playing 48 games of Tier II against weaker competition + tournaments.

Yes, full agreement there. The WHL is easily the better league than the BCHL. The league doesn't make the player.

I'm saying that Jost is a better player than every draft eligible from the WHL. Playing in the BCHL has no effect on this, it's extremely apparent.

He's currently 1 point away from being the top point producer in Canadian U-18 history, on a team where the rest of the guys from the CHL look 3 steps behind.

Jost and Fabbro went so high in their bantam draft, even with their plans on going the NCAA route, because they were heads and shoulders above their peers. (With respect to Bean)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I've been all over the Jost and Keller options for a while, so no objections on my end. They are both clearly two of the top U18's in the world and have the homerun upside.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I've been all over the Jost and Keller options for a while, so no objections on my end. They are both clearly two of the top U18's in the world and have the homerun upside.

Agreed, I've been all over Fabbro all season, while liking Jost, but Jost is just making so much sense from the Sens at this point.

I haven't seen much of Keller, but he seems like a homerun type we need to go for.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is so overblown.

He's been a standout at every international event, with all his peers.

He was the best forward at both U-18 events this year, with all the best guys from the CHL. He will be a standout at UND next year.

The two best Junior A players in the country this year will both go top 15 in this years draft, and for good reason.

BCHL is a good league and a launching point for NCAA route. No Issues there. Jost has to be climbing the charts.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
12 isn't looking so bad

1. Laine
2. Matthews
3. Puljujarvi
4. Dubois
5. Nylander
6. Chychrun
7. Tkachuck
8. Juolevi
9. Keller
10. Brown
11. Jost
12. Sergachev
13. Bean
14. Fabbro
15. Bellows

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So was it worth having people cry over winning games?

Note that I'm not asking if you'd rather be picking 10th or 11th, I think we all would.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So was it worth having people cry over winning games?

Note that I'm not asking if you'd rather be picking 10th or 11th, I think we all would.

Well no it wasn't worth it because it all already happened and ended the way it did. But would have been worth it if we tanks and got into the top 7isj

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Agreed, I've been all over Fabbro all season, while liking Jost, but Jost is just making so much sense from the Sens at this point.

I haven't seen much of Keller, but he seems like a homerun type we need to go for.

Keller had a very good game tonight. 1g 2 a

His hands are sick.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
Been thinking this for a few days now, I'm all in on Jost, trade up if you have to.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I just want to go on record that as of right now, I have literally no idea who we are going to take with this pick, nor any gut feelings about one guy over another.

Dorion has never had full autonomy... sure, he pretty much ran the drafts for years in the past, but AFAIK, it's always been about the scouts doing their job, and then Murray has the final say (for example - when Dorions and the scouts had to sell Murray on trading up to take Karlsson... they ended up convincing him, but now Dorion has the authority to trade or draft or do whatever he wants, and he doesn't have to sell anyone on it dave for himself.)

How much does Dorion's vision of building through the franchise differ from Murray's? I imagine a lot of it stays the same, but maybe all of a sudden Dorion takes flyers on a few more "swing for the fences" type picks that the team tended to shy away from under Murray's stewardship.

The only thing I'm even halfway sure of is that the chances of us taking a Russian with a high pick are still probably pretty low. After that, all bets are off, IMO.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I just want to go on record that as of right now, I have literally no idea who we are going to take with this pick, nor any gut feelings about one guy over another.

Dorion has never had full autonomy... sure, he pretty much ran the drafts for years in the past, but AFAIK, it's always been about the scouts doing their job, and then Murray has the final say (for example - when Dorions and the scouts had to sell Murray on trading up to take Karlsson... they ended up convincing him, but now Dorion has the authority to trade or draft or do whatever he wants, and he doesn't have to sell anyone on it dave for himself.)

How much does Dorion's vision of building through the franchise differ from Murray's? I imagine a lot of it stays the same, but maybe all of a sudden Dorion takes flyers on a few more "swing for the fences" type picks that the team tended to shy away from under Murray's stewardship.

The only thing I'm even halfway sure of is that the chances of us taking a Russian with a high pick are still probably pretty low. After that, all bets are off, IMO.

Hoping for that, considering Keller is only 5'10'' :nod:

I really wish there was a way we could find another late 1st/early 2nd as well, lots of good talent to be had late (Pascal Laberge, Rasmus Asplund, Brett Howden, Lucas Johnasen).

We might get lucky if one of them slides down to 40, but it would be nice to come out of the draft with three more solid prospects. Would give us some flexibility to package our 2017 1st with other assets for immediate help.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Watching, Tasarenko light it up for the blues ,makes me think of this :cry:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Watching, Tasarenko light it up for the blues ,makes me think of this :cry:

We didn't pass on Tarasenko because he was a "swing for the fences" guy.

We passed on him because our organization does not draft Russians.

I'm not so sure anything changes in that regard, though I fully admit that's just my own speculation there.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Hmm, yeah that's interesting.

I remember that in Dorion's presser he said that he and Murray don't necessarily have the same ideologies.

I'm pretty sure also it's Dorion that REALLY wanted Pageau and was pretty much the reason we drafted him.

I have this intuition that Dorion is less of a "big heavy powerforward" and just drafting "big guys" kinda guy that Murray kinda was. He seems like more of a look at the "full package" kinda dude.

Just my 2 cents.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I know it was Dorion who scouted Karlsson and told him " I think I'm watching a star player", something to that extent. Good enough for m.

Also does anyone else see the similarity between Jost and Alfredsson?
Heady playmaking goalscorers, good agility and speed, slow down the game.

Dear Alfie I hope we get him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I remember that in Dorion's presser he said that he and Murray don't necessarily have the same ideologies.

I'm pretty sure also it's Dorion that REALLY wanted Pageau and was pretty much the reason we drafted him.

I have this intuition that Dorion is less of a "big heavy powerforward" and just drafting "big guys" kinda guy that Murray kinda was. He seems like more of a look at the "full package" kinda dude.

Just my 2 cents.

Too bad he didn't really want that smallish forward drafted 8 spots later...

But yeah, I get the feeling that Dorion is a skill above all else type of guy. He was one of the guys pushing hard to draft Karlsson too (claims he though he'd be like Dan Boyle with better skating).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Just my 2 cents.

I think it was Murray? who went to a QMJHL game where pageau was facing Huberdeau and said he wanted both number 11s

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Im not really sure how much of this is true. Murray has always given credit to his scouts and has said he lets them choose their players. Dorion has been head of scouting so he probably has the most say on draft day.

Murray seems like the guy who lets his scouts do their job and he tries his best to get them picks and move up in the draft to get their guy ie Karlsson

Even when Murray trades picks he said he consults his scouts to make sure they can't get a similar talent with that pick.

Also what swing for the fences guys are you talking about? Ottawa generally goes for guys with high IQ not necessarily big players.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
I think it was Murray? who went to a QMJHL game where pageau was facing Huberdeau and said he wanted both number 11s

Dorion had to sell him to Murray, he was beaming after that draft because they had selected Pageau.

That is a true story though, but it was on Dorion's recommendation that he even considered him due to his size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad