Golf: 2016 Masters thread - "Literally every top player is in good form" edition

Sep 19, 2008
Jim Nantz's Butler Cabin interviews and the whole moment is one of the best that happens yearly in sport.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Uh, that would surprise me.

Double digits, certainly not likely.

Six... the way he gets around Augusta and can play it. I think he has better than a 50/50 shot. Another 25ish years of contention since ANGC is so largely dependant on experience, arguably.

They're always so far away in Scotland.

I do want to go to one one day.

They had one in Kent in the past, would hope they host it there again soon.

Yeah, other than St Georges which probably won't host again till 2021 sadly, they're all quite a trek. Open links style golf is my favorite though, would love to hit up St Andrews.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Cft8wj4XEAA1--5.jpg:large

Spieth is not amused.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I can't figure out which major is tougher to get over that Jordan didn't win, this or St. Andrews last year?

He was 5 shots clear heading to the back nine at Augusta. St Andrews, could argue he could have easily won (that 4 putt double bogey on Saturday was a killer) or been in a playoff at the worst... but he didn't collapse.

Danny Willett deserves credit too.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Don't know if I like Spieth playing Harbour Town. Take a week or two off, decompress. Getting right back out there when he's already played a hectic schedule this year is risky, IMO.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was tied for the lead at St. Andrews on 17 tee.

It took me nearly a week to get over that Open. This just seems tougher.

My sports teams usually lose, but they usually are bad, so its not as difficult.

I was away when Tiger lost the 2009 PGA Championship to YE Yang, so I really wasn't able to process it all, just heard the news, didn't really know the circumstances. I will maintain that the hardest loss for one of my teams or athletes I root for is the Rangers losing the 13-14 SCF. Like three of the four losses were in overtime. I seriously didn't get over that one for about a year. That was just so tough. Then right about when I got over it they come up a game short of the SCF the next year. :(

The Mets lost in the 2015 World Series, and all the games were close, but that wasn't as tough to get over for some reason. I have no clue why. I don't know how long this one will take.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Oilers 2006 Stanley Cup Finals.

Broncos 2013 Super Bowl.

Tiger Woods being major-less for almost a decade.

Serena losing the CYGS last year.

All depressing things that took me (and are still taking) a long time to get over.

Spieth will probably win a major, and possibly two this year. This Masters won't hurt as much then.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was 5 shots clear heading to the back nine at Augusta. St Andrews, could argue he could have easily won (that 4 putt double bogey on Saturday was a killer) or been in a playoff at the worst... but he didn't collapse.

Danny Willett deserves credit too.

Willett's really good. I'm just so beyond thinking about Willett's golf game right now.

Don't know if I like Spieth playing Harbour Town. Take a week or two off, decompress. Getting right back out there when he's already played a hectic schedule this year is risky, IMO.

He's not playing.

Here's the field list: http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/rbc-heritage/field.html

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Oilers 2006 Stanley Cup Finals.

Broncos 2013 Super Bowl.

Tiger Woods being major-less for almost a decade.

Serena losing the CYGS last year.

All depressing things that took me (and are still taking) a long time to get over.

Yeah, these major-less Tiger years are really tough as a fan of Tiger, but not in a shocking way. Besides the 2009 PGA, I don't think he was that close to winning any of them. I think the 2013 Open Championship at Muirfield was the toughest. I thought he was going to take a commanding lead late in that third round. He didn't, and although he had a chance on Sunday, he just didn't play well. 2012 Open Championship was also tough. I thought he might've been able to win had that green side bunker shot not been left in the bunker.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Yeah, these major-less Tiger years are really tough as a fan of Tiger, but not in a shocking way. Besides the 2009 PGA, I don't think he was that close to winning any of them. I think the 2013 Open Championship at Muirfield was the toughest. I thought he was going to take a commanding lead late in that third round. He didn't, and although he had a chance on Sunday, he just didn't play well. 2012 Open Championship was also tough. I thought he might've been able to win had that green side bunker shot not been left in the bunker.

Yeah, that does lessen the impact a bit. Just crazy to think that it's been 7 years since his last though and the list of ones where he was in contention is so short. I don't really want to dredge this one up and add to your list but... 2013 Masters, flagstick at 15. :cry:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, that does lessen the impact a bit. Just crazy to think that it's been 7 years since his last though and the list of ones where he was in contention is so short. I don't really want to dredge this one up and add to your list but... 2013 Masters, flagstick at 15. :cry:

I forgot about that one. I think its easier when he lost a lead after two rounds. He had the lead after the 2012 US Open as well. Didn't he also have the lead at the 2012 PGA Championship after two rounds? The harder ones for me are the ones where Tiger was right there with a chance in the final round.

When is Tiger going to come back to golf? I'm so excited for that. I just really hope he comes back like the 2012 or 2013 Tiger and not the 2010 or 2011 one.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Jordan has to get his driver figured out to contend at Oakmont. Much tougher rough than last year @ Chambers Bay.

Shouldn't even need the driver, just play it safe and let the putting do the work. He was fine today until he took it out of his bag, set up the two bogeys before he got to 12.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's not just the driver, its basically every full shot. He's struggled recently with full shots. He's hitting too many shots right. Every time he would get a lead during the Masters this year because of his putting, he'd give it back with a few awful full shots. Even some of his bad putts had a lot to do with bad full shots that left him with near impossible putts. Last week he had nearly nothing going, his putting wasn't good either. As much as you can say he had a five shot lead in this final round and lost, the fact that he was this close to winning the Masters with only his short game shows how talented he is.

He's now seriously contended in five majors in a row, and only played at his best or close to it in one, the 2015 Masters. Thats the same types of things that Jack, Arnold, Tiger, those types of golfers were able to do. He's also only 22. Those guys took longer than that to start playing so well in majors. He still on a ridiculous pace in the majors. He'd be the youngest since Gene Sarazen to win three majors if he wins one this year.

If anything, he can take out of this week that his putting was a big improvement from the last few months. If he can now just find his swing, he can get back to his best. Its tough that he lost, but there are positives to take out of this tournament.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I still don't think I've gotten over Tom Watson not winning the 2009 Open.

Yeah because you aren't American. :laugh:

I got over it after the 2014 Ryder Cup where he sat Reed and Spieth. :shakehead

That Ryder Cup was such a disaster. Europe probably was better, but it could've actually been close without Watson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad