Prospect Info: 2016 Marlies and Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Just want to throw my hat in the ring re: Viktor Loov.

He doesn't play a flashy game and will never put up a lot of points but he is steady as it gets and throws some HUGE game changing hits.

Stat watchers won't be excited about him but anyone that has watched him over the last THREE seasons with the Marlies knows that his call-up is justified and earned.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

He doesn't play a flashy game and will never put up a lot of points but he is steady as it gets and throws some HUGE game changing hits.

Stat watchers won't be excited about him but anyone that has watched him over the last THREE seasons with the Marlies knows that his call-up is justified and earned.

He's probably just like a more physical Carl Gunnarsson, which is good. Gunnarsson had to play top pairing with Phaneuf, and obviously wasn't the best there, but he was a strong bottom pairing defensemen. Add in a physical element and I think a little bit more of an offensive game, and Loov is the perfect bottom pairing defenseman.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Sick Marlies game tonight. Really like Leipsics speed and hands, insane

Percy is very solid and definitely NHL ready

Nylander wasn't very dangerous but was super clutch

Browns a beast

OvenMittz*

I've been preaching this all the time.

The ones who look over him don't really have good hockey knowledge.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Good game by the Marlies, well deserved win.

This is why you have the prospects developing with the Marlies rather than this years Leafs. All these players play like they can't lose. I don't know how many times I've seen them make a comeback. Down by 2 after 2 & playing a good game, they just keep working & score 4.

Conversely with the Leafs, they tie it up late or leading late & you think how are they going to blow this. And how often is it blown?

Leafs still working on the culture change, a few more players have to be moved out of there. Very smart for the Leafs to let these kids develop in a winning environment.

This is amazing g and what I hoped for. Have these kids stay in ahl and dominate because the high end kids it's all about CONFIDENCE. these kids will be going to leafs training camp with loads of confidence, can't waite

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Just watched the highlights on the Marlies website.

Nylander with a real nice shot on his goal.

Leipsic with a nifty pass to Brown and great play by Brown to hit that one-timer off balance.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

I'm not sure who you've been watching but this is only his 2nd season with the Marlies.

I wouldn't say he was any more deserving than any other Marlie's defenceman.

I'm glad he got his shot and didn't look out of place. I'm definitely pulling for him but he only played 8:41. Hopefully he'll still be able to play vs Philly. The Marlies are fine without him for now.

The cool thing is, the Marlies and Leafs both play at the ACC tomorrow.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

2 seasons

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Fun game to be at tonight. Defensively some big mistakes, Campbell and Brennan weren't very sharp, particularly in the second period. Valiev and Percy were much better Defensively, and Percy in particular was making nice crisp and accurate passes. Valiev was very good defensively most of the times, but did cough up the puck a few times under pressure. Hyman won player of the game with his three assists. Soshnikov has an amazing set of wheels, and is strong for a guy his size. Brown had a nice game, and really doesn't seem to be small. Of course Nylander looked great, and like he was playing with the other team at times. Fred the Goat had an ok game.... didn't win as many faceoffs as you might hope, but then neither did Nylander. Goat is a big strong guy, and a decent skater as well. I think it is going to take him another season or two to grow into his frame, but he will be useful one day.

First and third periods Marlies were the much better team, really dominated the second best team in the league at times. Entertaining game.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Fun game to be at tonight. Defensively some big mistakes, Campbell and Brennan weren't very sharp, particularly in the second period. Valiev and Percy were much better Defensively, and Percy in particular was making nice crisp and accurate passes. Valiev was very good defensively most of the times, but did cough up the puck a few times under pressure. Hyman won player of the game with his three assists. Soshnikov has an amazing set of wheels, and is strong for a guy his size. Brown had a nice game, and really doesn't seem to be small. Of course Nylander looked great, and like he was playing with the other team at times. Fred the Goat had an ok game.... didn't win as many faceoffs as you might hope, but then neither did Nylander. Goat is a big strong guy, and a decent skater as well. I think it is going to take him another season or two to grow into his frame, but he will be useful one day.

First and third periods Marlies were the much better team, really dominated the second best team in the league at times. Entertaining game.

Good one for the kids to remember. Thanks for the game impressions.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Let's take a break from talking about good prospects for a second to talk about bad ones.

Next time we need to free up a contract spot, which prospect gets moved for absolutely no value?

I figure it's got to be Carrick, then Morin. Morin going later because he was more recently acquired.

It speaks wonders to our farm that those are our only "busts" with contracts.

OvenMittz*

I'm not sure who you've been watching but this is only his 2nd season with the Marlies.

I wouldn't say he was any more deserving than any other Marlie's defenceman.

I'm glad he got his shot and didn't look out of place. I'm definitely pulling for him but he only played 8:41. Hopefully he'll still be able to play vs Philly. The Marlies are fine without him for now.

The cool thing is, the Marlies and Leafs both play at the ACC tomorrow.

Changing your tune now.. Not what you said before. Good to know Loov showed you guys..

mikebel111*

Changing your tune now.. Not what you said before. Good to know Loov showed you guys..

Your acting as it Loov is guaranteed to be great. He didnt show anyone yet. He just had a good debut. Thats it thats all.

Also I was one of the people who said that when the Marlies D is healthy, I would have him as the 7th d man and I still stand by that.

Brennan
Campbell
Percy
Valiev
Holl
Harrington

In no specific order is my D core

OvenMittz*

Your acting as it Loov is guaranteed to be great. He didnt show anyone yet. He just had a good debut. Thats it thats all.

Also I was one of the people who said that when the Marlies D is healthy, I would have him as the 7th d man and I still stand by that.

Brennan
Campbell
Percy
Valiev
Holl
Harrington

In no specific order is my D core
who said anything about great.. i said he'd have an NHL career, while others said he wouldn't and wasn't good enough to be on the Marlies line up calling him their 6th Dman even though he plays on the 2nd pairing with Percy..

Those Dman bring other aspects.. but none of them is as good at being a stay at home hard hitting Dman over Loov. That is why hes under rated and the coaching staff sees that, Thats why he gets the call up over others. That and he doesnt have to pass waivers.

At the end of the day you all said he wouldn't play on the leafs anytime soon, and a week later.. yup your wrong.. Loov proves you wrong.

mikebel111*

Remembering your opinion about Finn it looks like Loov will have a great career.

What does Finn have to with any of this? Finn didnt turn out as I thought. Big deal. Everyone is wrong about players at some point. No need to call out others(or in this case me), Lets keep it classy, I dont go around teasing you over some players. But sure if doing it to makes you feel good, than go ahead. Though since you seem to be a Finn fan, go over to the Islanders board.
Hopefully Loov is better as season goes on, has been pretty bad so far.

Sheesh some people cant let some things go. Oh well at least it gets attention;)

mikebel111*

What does Finn have to with any of this? Finn didnt turn out as I thought. Big deal. Everyone is wrong about players at some point. No need to call out others(or in this case me), Lets keep it classy, I dont go around teasing you over some players. But sure if doing it to makes you feel good, than go ahead. Though since you seem to be a Finn fan, go over to the Islanders board.
Hopefully Loov is better as season goes on, has been pretty bad so far.

Sheesh some people cant let some things go. Oh well at least it gets attention;)

Maybe a bit dramatic, but multiple posters still mock me over past stuff, especially one of the mods. Its kind of sad really.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Great to see another comeback win..! They've had more than a few, this season.., as well as many HUGE wins..
And Bibeau has really got his A-game back..!! : )

Marlies Highlights - February 19, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad