Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 72nd Overall (NJ) - J.D. Greenway - D - USNTDP [6-5/205]

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I'm good with this one. A little off the board but based on team needs we didn't really have a D that fit this mold in the system. Everything's a crap shoot at this point, they obviously see potential.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
like this kids potential but he is definitely a long term project.

Wont be busting into the NHL until he starts completely dominating the AHL.

Good strong big D with good skating and pretty good hands...Good shot. Has all the tools just hasnt fully put it all together yet. Still a very effective d man for USA at the U18s.

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014
This is the pick the intrigues me the most. He has all the tools. He's big, fast, can put up points. What he lacks is being positionally sound. The way they have talked about this guy, he reminds of Byfuglien before he was able to connect all the dots. He played on the top D-pairing for the US under 18 team. He also won Bronze in the World Juniors.

He was ranked at 32 by ISS.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Really happy with this pick. The guy is huge and skates well. Looks to have decent hands too. Looked awesome at the u18's.

Beauty goal.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Reminds me of the Neilsen pick last year.

Love the size, speed and potential he'll bring to the prospect pool.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Before I say anything I would like to preface my comments by saying that before today I had never heard of Greeenway. However, with all of the scouting reports I have seen so far he reminds me of John Moore of the New Jersey Devils. Nice size, great skater, and may have limited offense if he makes it to the NHL.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
What are his chances of making the World Junior team?

Pronman tweeted that he played first pairing this year with the USNDTP.

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014

I would say pretty good considering he played in the U-18's He's at the summer camp

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Good pick for Toronto. No sure thing but good prospect with upside...

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Size, speed, skill, slick hands. Great pick.

Outside of one flashy move every 4 games his hands were pretty awful. He had trouble moving the puck at times. There is definitely a bit potential there though.

Speed isn't great as well. He's mobile for his size, but there is nothing high end about his skating right now. His lateral movement is pretty poor.

I think he has a bit of upside but he might be the most raw player in this draft.

Close to 100%. If you played on the national team AND went the college route you have a pretty good chance at making the team (unless your game falls off). If not, you may be left off for some odd reason (Bracco/Connor).

Him and Fox had good chemistry this year as the first pair. They did the job when the others (Luce/Hellickson, Lindgren/Martin and Krys/Campoli) faltered.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Outside of one flashy move every 4 games his hands were pretty awful. He had trouble moving the puck at times. There is definitely a bit potential there though.

Speed isn't great as well. He's mobile for his size, but there is nothing high end about his skating right now. His lateral movement is pretty poor.

I think he has a bit of upside but he might be the most raw player in this draft.

Close to 100%. If you played on the national team AND went the college route you have a pretty good chance at making the team (unless your game falls off). If not, you may be left off for some odd reason (Bracco/Connor).

Him and Fox had good chemistry this year as the first pair. They did the job when the others (Luce/Hellickson, Lindgren/Martin and Krys/Campoli) faltered.

Really? In all 7 rounds, Greenway is the most raw prospect of em all? Come on man, I can tell you're not a big fan, but that's just overkill.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Don't know much about Lou eh?

He drafted Mattias Tedenby, Scott Gomez, Nicklas Bergfors, and Zach Parise in the first round. Also drafted many other small players like Brian Gionta and his brother.

I know plenty about Lou. My comment was specific to this particular draft. Set aside Matthews, it looks like the leafs picked to bulk up - everywhere. Alot of them seem like high floor- low ceiling type players. I get that we are developing Alot of smaller guys, but to pick 31 and have Benson on the board, Abramov, hart, and parsons but instead go with a player who is less likely to make the nhl and plays a position that is relatively deep at the ahl level... just odd. Whatever, we had a killer draft last year and I hope I'm wrong on evaluating futures for this year.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Really? In all 7 rounds, Greenway is the most raw prospect of em all? Come on man, I can tell you're not a big fan, but that's just overkill.

Saying a player is raw is not a bad thing.

From what I saw, him, Brett Murray, and Colton Point (to an extent) were all the "raw-est" players. Granted I didn't see all 211 (only about 75 extensively), but he's a raw talent.

Look, all I'm saying is that people on these boards are incorrectly assessing him right now. I truly believe that he can put it all together, but to see people give him attributes that he doesn't have right now is a personal pet peeve. Another pet peeve is taking a clip out of context. I'll let you know that that U-18 clip was an anomaly right now. Don't expect his game to be like that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I know plenty about Lou. My comment was specific to this particular draft. Set aside Matthews, it looks like the leafs picked to bulk up - everywhere. Alot of them seem like high floor- low ceiling type players. I get that we are developing Alot of smaller guys, but to pick 31 and have Benson on the board, Abramov, hart, and parsons but instead go with a player who is less likely to make the nhl and plays a position that is relatively deep at the ahl level... just odd. Whatever, we had a killer draft last year and I hope I'm wrong on evaluating futures for this year.

Well, some scouts didn't like Benson, or Hart or any of the prospects you listed as well.

Number13

May 21, 2007

From what I saw, him, Brett Murray, and Colton Point (to an extent) were all the "raw-est" players. Granted I didn't see all 211 (only about 75 extensively), but he's a raw talent.

Look, all I'm saying is that people on these boards are incorrectly assessing him right now. I truly believe that he can put it all together, but to see people give him attributes that he doesn't have right now is a personal pet peeve. Another pet peeve is taking a clip out of context. I'll let you know that that U-18 clip was an anomaly right now. Don't expect his game to be like that.

I don't think anyone expects him to, nor has said he would, score highlight reel goals regularly. People are excited that he's a big, physical defenseman who has at least enough skill to coordinate a move like that. The US program clearly likes him, so it's worth being excited about his potential if he puts his tools together.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Reminds me of the Neilsen pick last year.

Love the size, speed and potential he'll bring to the prospect pool.

Reminds me of him too.

I don't see this guy as a reach. He was taken appropriately, even maybe a little bit lower than I thought. The only thing that sucks is that he is LH and doesn't really fit a need in that sense. However with Nielsen, Valiev and Dermott all likely gaining experience at both sides with the Marlies, it may not matter as much. Plus moving out Harrington relieves the log jam a little bit there too.

He has excellent offensive potential (even showing quite a bit of that skill already), excellent size and pretty much everything you want defensively. I think he'll see a Nielsen like jump next year in Wisconsin. They are rebuilding, so he should be getting a lot of ice time as likely one of their premier guys on defense. Plus he has Kunin and others to work with.

I can't wait to see the Europeans arrive. I want to see what they can bring. Not only the new guys, but guys like Herzog, Lindgren and Engvall as well. All of them have taken some nice steps forward last year; plus Herzog already has chemistry with Matthews from their time in Zurich. Two youngest players getting consistent ice time in their lineup (I believe).

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015

He may be raw, but he's raw in a lot of different ways. If he can connect the dots he has top pair potential. That clip may be an anomaly, but it still shows potential of what he's capable of. Ignoring that is just being a hater.

I would call some of our later picks a little "raw-er" then greenway. Did you watch them extensively too? If not, claiming greenway to be the rawest player in the draft is being a little narrow minded.

buttman*

Well the Leafs picked a couple of small forwards your forgetting. If you think Lou said to draft big and none of that was Hunter and the scouts preference I'd have to say your wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00