Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 72nd Overall (NJ) - J.D. Greenway - D - USNTDP [6-5/205]

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Lou, Dubas and Hunter are on the ball, with this pick.. :)

Babs must be smiling ear-to-ear, with all these players who have strong 2-way games.. (and size)..

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Daaaang!! Leafs mgmt is really going after team needs this draft.

Needed size and defensive players.

I really wanted a big dman this year! I'm happy with this one

Marlander93

Nov 22, 2015
Scouting Report:
At 6’4″ tall, Greenway has excellent size. He also put up 28 points in 64 games with the US NTDP; showing his offensive potential. Greenway added seven points in seven games at the IIHF Under 18 World Championships. He will attend the University of Wisconsin next season. Another prospect with bloodlines, his brother Jordan was drafted by the Minnesota Wild in the second round last year.
Greenway takes full advantage of his tremendous size. He throws punishing bodychecks to attackers who come in with their heads down. They are the type of hits that force opponents to reconsider rushing up his side of the ice. Greenway also uses his size and strength to clear the crease and win battles along the boards. Greenway has good skating ability, and is tough to beat one-on-one as a result. However, Greenway needs some work on his positioning and defensive fundamentals.
While he makes a decent first pass out of the zone, and has a decent shot; he could be even more of an offensive threat if he could develop a harder shot. Greenway is also prone to the occassional turnover, especially when put under pressure..
http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/06/22/2016-nhl-draft-scouting-reports-86-90/

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
I like this draft as someone else mentioned lots of euro and college players goo to spread out our prospects don't need everyone on the marlies.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
#72 J.D. Greenway

#86 on our list

At 6’4″ tall, Greenway has excellent size. He also put up 28 points in 64 games with the US NTDP; showing his offensive potential. Greenway added seven points in seven games at the IIHF Under 18 World Championships. He will attend the University of Wisconsin next season. Another prospect with bloodlines, his brother Jordan was drafted by the Minnesota Wild in the second round last year.

Link: http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/06/22/2016-nhl-draft-scouting-reports-86-90/

buttman*

Hunter- "So we have a few options..."
Lou-"nah, this guy is huge and played for the states."
Hunter-"well can I also suggest...."
Lou-"NO! Moar huge guys!"
Hunter-"Guh, fine."

Don't know much about Lou eh?

He drafted Mattias Tedenby, Scott Gomez, Nicklas Bergfors, and Zach Parise in the first round. Also drafted many other small players like Brian Gionta and his brother.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Hunter-"Guh, fine."

Yeah this is probably the least like scenario in the history of NHL picks.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hunter-"Guh, fine."

The difference between a Hunter run draft and Lou Lam setting BPA standards and draft criteria priorities.

Babcock loves big strong players so Lou is getting his coach some.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Similar to the Nielsen pick last year. Only problem I see is he's a bit of a project (which is fine) and he's LH, which means he enters that rat race. Hopefully some of our guys learn how to play both sides, like Valiev last year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A few people have suggested hes got even more untapped offensive potential, especially goal scoring.

The difference between a Hunter run draft and Lou Lam setting BPA standards and draft criteria priorities.

We have no idea if the Leaf draft priorities have changed.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

I'm sure that's why. These kids being at the top of Hunter's board is out of the realm of possibility. Only drafting them because they're tall.

:rolleyes:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The thought process with this one is they seem to be looking for their Colton Parayko sleeper.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sounds like Leafs scouting were quite high on Parayko before the Blues snagged him up, so they've clearly been looking for those kinds of physically impressive, raw prospects with tons of upside. Of course he could be John Doherty.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00