Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 57th Overall (WSH) - Carl Grundstrom - RW - Modo Hockey [6-0/180]

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
One unmentioned bonus that comes with having Grundström in Frölunda is that it makes it easier for us to scout Kristian Vesalainen for next year's draft :laugh:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Looks like Grundstrom had a good game from the highlight package.

Also saw a few scouts drooling over our Greenway after the nice move to set up Bellows' goal.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Grundström scored a hat-trick tonight and the coach of his team said that "he's exactly like Peter Forsberg", in the sense that he's got an intensity and hates to lose (just like Forsberg).

Once said that he hated to lose more than he loved to win.:laugh:

Seems like you have yet another gem in the system.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Grundström scored a hat-trick tonight and the coach of his team said that "he's exactly like Peter Forsberg", in the sense that he's got an intensity and hates to lose (just like Forsberg).

I just peed in my pants a little bit.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm going to be part Swedish come WJC time.

Keeping an eye on Grundstrom and Lindgren.

I also want to keep an eye on Liljegren but apparently his participation in the WJC is no longer guaranteed for health reasons.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm going to be part Swedish come WJC time.

Keeping an eye on Grundstrom and Lindgren.

I also want to keep an eye on Liljegren but apparently his participation in the WJC is no longer guaranteed for health reasons.
To be honest, I'm also excited to see Elias Pettersson. He sounds like a very unique player.

As for Grundstrom, glad to hear he had a big game. Frolunda is usually a stacked team where it is tough to get top minutes as a younger. I was worried that his slow start he'd end up buried on the 4th line all year. A game like this might help him move up into a better situation line-up wise. So far I'm really happy with how our top 5 picks have been playing (Matthews, Korshkov, Grundstrom, Woll and Greenway).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
To be honest, I'm also excited to see Elias Pettersson. He sounds like a very unique player.

As for Grundstrom, glad to hear he had a big game. Frolunda is usually a stacked team where it is tough to get top minutes as a younger. I was worried that his slow start he'd end up buried on the 4th line all year. A game like this might help him move up into a better situation line-up wise. So far I'm really happy with how our top 5 picks have been playing (Matthews, Korshkov, Grundstrom, Woll and Greenway).

Don't know much bout Pettersson but i'll keep an eye out at the WJC.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

He lost two teeth as well.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
All of his 3 goals were very impressive.

Nice release from about 20 feet out.

Nice backhand shot from the slot.

Amazing moves around the defence and deke on the goaltender.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

Hopefully he's a lot like Forsberg in talent as well as determination. Seemed to have a slow start in the SHL but you can't complain about a hat trick.

Last edited:

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Yup I have very high hopes for Grundstrom and Korshkov. I think they'll both be in the Leafs top 6 eventually.

Korshkov - Matthews - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Grundstrom
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Hyman - Soshnikov

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Grundstrom will never be a top 6 player in NHL. He will be a good bottom 6 player.
I don't think a top 6/bottom 6 really exists for most teams anymore. It seems to of evolved in to a top 9/energy line, with a grinder on each line. I feel this shift has been fueled by a lot of teams now using their best centers as shutdown guys and being successful (primarily Bergeron and Kopitar, Toews to a lesser extent as they still heavily use the Kruger line). Will Grundstrom ever be a top line guy who drives the line, no, that is extremely unlikely. Could he play the Komorov or Hyman role on one of our top lines? I think he projects to potentially be that. I don't think he'll ever be defined as a consistent top line guy, but he seems to have the potential to be a solid middle-sixer.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Grundstrom's ceiling has got to be higher than what Komarov is now... I'm thinking somewhere in the Holmstrom mold.

I agree with 93Leafs, the whole top six / bottom six is passee.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Grundstrom's ceiling has got to be higher than what Komarov is now... I'm thinking somewhere in the Holmstrom mold.

I agree with 93Leafs, the whole top six / bottom six is passee.

I can only speak for myself but I know when I say top 6, I'm referring more to the talent and production that I project on a player. With a kid like this I'd say he sounds like a future 3rd liner in the nhl. There's some offense to his game but maybe not enough to be playing shotgun to the elite talent.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Grundstrom will never be a top 6 player in NHL. He will be a good bottom 6 player.

if we have something like

jvr-matthews-marner
johnsson-nylander-kapanen/bracco

with our bottom six being something like

korshov-kadri-soshnikov/korestelov
grundstrom-gauthier-brown/engvall/lindberg/hymen

we would have an top bottom six.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
if we have something like

jvr-matthews-marner
johnsson-nylander-kapanen/bracco

with our bottom six being something like

korshov-kadri-soshnikov/korestelov
grundstrom-gauthier-brown/engvall/lindberg/hymen

we would have an top bottom six.

Haha careful with that spelling...

Side note, how awesome would it be to have a goalie with that name?

Last edited:

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Potentially could have a 3rd line in future with Grundstrom on RW and Dzerkals on LW
Great combination of grit and speed with some skill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad