Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 57th Overall (WSH) - Carl Grundstrom - RW - Modo Hockey [6-0/180]

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Our 3rd pick in the Draft (2nd Round - #57)

BTW.., he played with Willie for a bit, on both Team Sweden and MODO..
Might be the gritty winger that he knows and has had success with, that enables him to make even more plays..?

Carl Grundstrom
Right Wing -- shoots L
Born Dec 1 1997
18 yrs. ago
Height 6.00 -- Weight 194

RECENT STATS:

2015-16 - MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik J-20 - Super Elite
1 Game... 0 Goals... 0 Assists... 0 Points... -1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 - MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik - SHL
49 Games... 7 Goals... 9 Assists... 16 Points... -2
2016 RELEGATION GAMES
7 Games... 1 Goals... 3 Assists... 4 Points... +1
2015-16 - Team Sweden U20 - WJC-20
7 Games... 1 Goal... 0 Assists... 1 Point... +1
2015-16 - Team Sweden U20 - International Junior
20 Games... 4 Goals... 4 Assists... 8 Points... +2

True Grit: Carl Grundstrom 2015-16 Highlights - TML

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I have a good feeling about this guy... I see him as a Komarov type of player (maybe without so many hits)
who can move around the line-up when called for.. A little Kulemin in him, too.. :)

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
People are undervaluing his offensive talent. He was better than alex nylander when they played in the same league !!

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
People are undervaluing his offensive talent. He was better than alex nylander when they played in the same league !!

I think they are under-rating him a little.., but you are poutting quite a high bar fro him to match.. Alex might be even better than William, years down the road.. (even Willy said this himself), so I think we need to wait a bit, to see what Carl does..

a.nylander is way more skilled.

Have to agree.. If we didn't take Matthews, he was my 2nd choice.. Dubois 3rd..

Last edited:

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
a.nylander is way more skilled.

I said better player not more skilled than Alex Nylander. Think about it this way, we already have some players in the mold of A. Nylander (marner, w.nylander, bracco, timashov)

Grundstrom is not flashy but he gets the job done

Last edited:

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
mitch-marner-hits-carl-grundstrom.jpg

Welcome to the Leafs. Sorry about that thing at the WJC.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
He will be our top rated prospect really soon (After Matthews, Marner, Nylander graduate), just watch and see.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He will be our top rated prospect really soon (After Matthews, Marner, Nylander graduate), just watch and see.

What you know about him that we don't - can you please explain why you feel that and I hope what you are saying is true as I really want every Leafs prospect to succeed

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
What you know about him that we don't - can you please explain why you feel that and I hope what you are saying is true as I really want every Leafs prospect to succeed

IMO when those 3 move up there really isn't a lot of competition. A lot of solid depth players. I like Dermott for that spot, myself.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
I think some of these guys are right about his offensive talent. I just finished watching all his highlight vids and he looks a lot like JVR around the net. He's got finish in tight and he goes there with intent!

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I said better player not more skilled than Alex Nylander. Think about it this way, we already have some players in the mold of A. Nylander (marner, w.nylander, bracco, timashov)

Grundstrom is not flashy but he gets the job done

Last season Grundstrom was alot better than Alex Nylander, but Alex seems to have take steps forward this season, and was a lot better in WJC 20. But hard to say how he would have done in SHL.

Off course you should have take Alex if he was available in the 2th round over Grundström, but Grundstrom fits your team good. His stats from SHL is actually pretty good when you compare to others, only players that have gone really high in the draft have had better stats then him, for being a late 2th rounder his stats is pretty great.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Carl is a very hardworking winger, he plays an aggressive type of game with plenty of intensity. He is strong on his skates, forechecks well and is an excellent penalty killer. He is not the offensive juggernaut, but will chip in offensively and reads the game fairly well.

Great character guy with good timing in his hits, he is our Jr. Komorov and probably better offensively

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Grundstrom has very good offensive upside.

He could be in the NHL before he's 21.

I think they might give him the Andreas Johnson treatment. Let him grow in Frölunda, then in 2-3 years give him some time with the Marlies and then we'll see. Obviously Grundström is a more NHL-styled player compared to Johnson. I definitely agree though, could be an NHL player by 21.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
This is why i am coming to love the Leafs draft.
Both this and the Korshkov pick are pro-level players with impact abilities.
They are high probability of success with a reasonably high upside.
Very smart picks. Basically.

And looking down the list, there's plenty of potential otherwise too,
but this draft has a real good outlook to potentially go #1, #2, and #3 with quality NHL players. Just for a start. Very smart.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is why i am coming to love the Leafs draft.
Both this and the Korshkov pick are pro-level players with impact abilities.
They are high probability of success with a reasonably high upside.
Very smart picks. Basically.

And looking down the list, there's plenty of potential otherwise too,
but this draft has a real good outlook to potentially go #1, #2, and #3 with quality NHL players. Just for a start. Very smart.
I really like the move to get physical and potentially complimentary guys on the LW. With our center depth and skill on the RW, I think getting potential pieces that could fit well on Matthews/Marners left side in the long run could be great. Nylander can play all forward positions to, but hoping that once we move Bozak he gets the 3rd center role (don't expect this til mid-year/TLD). While we have Komarov and JVR at the moment, we need to think long term.

I'd say entering the draft the biggest holes in our system were RHD, goalie and big and left shooting wingers. I'd say we addressed Goalie long-term (got Andersen, added a good prospect in Woll), and added Rychel, Korshkov and Grundstrom for LW. Fixing RHD will be hard but we took some longshots, and we have high hopes for Zaitsev. Really excited to follow this prospect pool, should be a great year.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I really like the move to get physical and potentially complimentary guys on the LW. With our center depth and skill on the RW, I think getting potential pieces that could fit well on Matthews/Marners left side in the long run could be great. Nylander can play all forward positions to, but hoping that once we move Bozak he gets the 3rd center role (don't expect this til mid-year/TLD). While we have Komarov and JVR at the moment, we need to think long term.

I'd say entering the draft the biggest holes in our system were RHD, goalie and big and left shooting wingers. I'd say we addressed Goalie long-term (got Andersen, added a good prospect in Woll), and added Rychel, Korshkov and Grundstrom for LW. Fixing RHD will be hard but we took some longshots, and we have high hopes for Zaitsev. Really excited to follow this prospect pool, should be a great year.

Well in Carl what you are getting is a very hard working winger, who is not only tough but is a pain to play against with some offensive side, I believe you are looking at couple of years for him to mature and play in NHL

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Like what I saw of Grundstrom in the highlights I saw at the prospect scrimmage.
I really like this pick. I see him being one of those guys who can play with high end players due to his skating and smarts, but able to do the dirty work and heavy lifting on the line. Similar to guys like Hornquist, Komorov, Holmstrom etc.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Carl is a very hardworking winger, he plays an aggressive type of game with plenty of intensity. He is strong on his skates, forechecks well and is an excellent penalty killer. He is not the offensive juggernaut, but will chip in offensively and reads the game fairly well.

Great character guy with good timing in his hits, he is our Jr. Komorov and probably better offensively

i hope he's not dirty though. komorov is actually pretty clean in comparison and not as reckless. in a limited sample size, carl seems a little loose with his stick and he can hit from behind. i'd rather not have a marchment type player (who took out wendel's knees).

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
I really like this pick, seems like a safe bet to be at least a 3rd line NHL forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad