Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 57th Overall (WSH) - Carl Grundstrom - RW - Modo Hockey [6-0/180]

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Probably won't ever be a top end producer but this is a good sign of untapped and intriguing potential. Hunter compared him to a Komarov and Gallagher type player, which is always needed.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Probably won't ever be a top end producer but this is a good sign of untapped and intriguing potential. Hunter compared him to a Komarov and Gallagher type player, which is always needed.

Seems like he could be a very good complementary player who does the dirty work for highly skilled guys like Marner/Nylander/etc. He also gets the chance to step into Andreas Johnson's former spot with Frolunda, so he'll probably have some good experience in that support role before he comes over.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015

Looks like a good pic. Sounds like leafs went with bpa at this pick and it just so happens to fill a positional need for us too.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Hunter said he flew to Sweden just to watch Grundstrom and he was ejected in the first 5 minutes for hitting a player from behind. :handclap:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Hunter said he flew to Sweden just to watch Grundstrom and he was ejected in the first 5 minutes for hitting a player from behind. :handclap:

I know they took him for his skating, gritty play, hard-working style, and offensive potential but it gave me flashbacks to Burke raving about Brad Ross being a "dirt-bag" to hear Mark Hunter tell that story.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
How's his offensive potential?

Seems like a Komarov or Jannik Hansen type. Probably more of a 3rd liner, but can move up your line up as needed as his straight-line game should compliment more skilled players. I could see him playing the same role a guy like Justin Abdelkaeder did in Babcock's system - being the energy guy alongside Datsyuk and Zetterberg (Or, with us, Nylander and Matthews).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Like this pick, really was hoping to get quality Left-shooting wingers, especially ones who are willing to grind, drive the net, good IQ,, stay out front for screens and rebounds. Was a bit annoyed when we passed on Benson and Katchouk for that role, but between him and Korshkov, I think we did well to fill that hole in our prospect pool. Only thing we are really lacking at this point would be a low risk RHD, unless you count Zaitsev as a prospect.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
One reason I like this pick and the other euro's/college guys is that it doesn't add to the logjam we currently already have of immediately available talent.

Like we just added Kerby Rychel, essentially the Canadian 2013 version of Grundström. And we still have way too many contracts or players soon to be in need of contracts. Sometimes it's good to play the long game.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
I'm not a scout and don't pretend to be one so I can just go by the highlights but I'm liking this pick. All the highlights are of him within 10 feet of the net causing havoc.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

I don't know too much about Euro prospects. What is his offensive potential? What are his strengths offensively? shot, stick handling vision

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The leafs grabbing their complimentary role players this draft to play with the high end talent they already have. Only time will tell on these picks.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
This kid is a komarov clone and will be a great replacement when we part ways with Leo in 2-4 years.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I had Grundstrom at #35 and Korshkov at #59. I am happy with both picks in a roundabout way.

Seems a lot of mocks had the same. It all works out the same. Gundstrom isn't just grit, lots of skill too. Loves to shoot the puck.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Yes i'm the odd one, Man Bear Pig.

Amazing how you try and flip this on me. You got excited over a dirty play. Yes, you are odd. Man the **** up and play the game the right way. You wanna throw a check? Throw a clean one. You don't like a guy? Drop the mits and deal with it that way.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

It's not always how many you score but when you score them. A la Tomas Holmstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad