Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 31st Overall - Yegor Korshkov - RW - Lokomotiv Yaroslav [6-4/180]

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
Feels like they could have gotten him later, but he looks like a late bloomer with size and skill.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Boom.

I fully expected Hunter to just go with an unusual choice, but one that will make sense in time. Reading up on the guy it makes sense. Someone with a strong possession game, size and skating ability. Could be very useful on the wings.

In the end we got Matthews first overall. Hunter can do his thing and I'll be fine with all these picks.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Antropov was off the board at #10 and he had a solid career overall, riddled with injuries but was a productive player when in the lineup. Hopefully this kid can be even better.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This would be the 3rd draft he was eligible for. I guess the honeymoon is over for Mark Hunter and co. Leafs drafted 1 previously draft eligible in 2015. The Leafs needed to draft more size.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
This is a head scratcher to me as well, but let's not freak out or act like we know what they should have done when we don't even know anything about the guy. For the time being I'll will trust our scouts, but this is definitely a pick to keep looking at going forward. There have been a couple picks so far in this draft that it seems like teams could have traded down but didn't.

BeLeafer11

Jan 12, 2009
Guess they thought someone else had them on their list and really wanted him. It's a crap shoot anyway. Pick your guys and go get them.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Do you even know anything about the kid? Have you seen him play?

Seems like a high potential pick to me..

This. Everyone needs to shut up about "their list" and where they had him etc. Watching YT highlights doesn't make you an expert on scouting. Did it ever occur to some of you that maybe Hunter caught wind of another team selecting him before their next pick?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
There isn't 5 people on this board who saw any more than his play at the WJC. Stop acting like you all know **** about this pick, and whether or not it was appropriate for where he went.

You all tear people down 364 days a year for not trusting Hunter and Co., and treating him like the ultimate scouting god, and then like rats from a sinking ship, you bail on him when he doesn't pick your guy.

Stop it. It's bloody embarrassing.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
My notes from my readings:

Overager X2 is big pwd fwd… Strong on board battles… good mobility and acceleration… Intelligent player… Good playmaker… needs a better shot… Big points in MHL playoffs… Regular in KHL already... Father was a humungous dman who played in Kazahkstan for many years…

I'm content with this pick.

They could have picked him with later selection

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Very surprising. Had so many more names before. That's why they get paid the big bucks though.

People have to give it time. Just because you were surprised and don't know him it doesn't mean it wasn't good. Same was said about Dermott and Nielsen last year, for the record, and it turned out really good.

Teams were said to be very interested in him.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Like many here, I knew nothing about this player until a few minutes ago. I'm surprised and he certainly isn't what I expected here; but, some of the comments in this thread remind me of the reaction to drafting Andrew Nielsen last year, and we all know how that looks now.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Trust our Euro scouts, especially. Interesting that they didn't trade down here though, perhaps they realized other teams were targeting him high in the 2nd

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There isn't 5 people on this board who saw any more than his play at the WJC. Stop acting like you all know **** about this pick, and whether or not it was appropriate for where he went.

You all tear people down 364 days a year for not trusting Hunter and Co., and treating him like the ultimate scouting god, and then like rats from a sinking ship, you bail on him when he doesn't pick your guy.

Stop it. It's bloody embarrassing.

It not a question of trust - They could have picked him with later selection

Mad Brills*

Remember last year when people were stunned dermott went in round 2?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad