Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 31st Overall - Yegor Korshkov - RW - Lokomotiv Yaroslav [6-4/180]

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm happy with a huge Russian who already has pro experience, even if it might have been a bit of a reach. Maybe there were other teams eyeing him.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
You take BPA and it maybe a case that no1 was willing to trade for the 31st. I have trust in Leaf management and they are obviously really high on this kid as they have another 2nd rounder but didn't want to risk it

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
A 96 birthday, already playing against men. 3rd time through the draft.
Size, high end IQ. Makes the smart plays. Don't know much about him.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Not a smart move. I don't like it. There was a lot of potential here at 31. Maybe there was rumours he was gonna be taken by another team but this isn't smart at all.

Do you even know anything about the kid? Have you seen him play?

Seems like a high potential pick to me..

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
This is a reach but with our cupboard stocked like it is, i can live with a gamble especially if he turns out to be a david backes type of player

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Lots of draft experts and scouts in this thread eh?

Guys, the 2nd round and beyond is a crapshoot. And nobody here knows how this kid will pan out.

Everyone is afraid of big guys these days.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
6-4" love him

Leafs need size and lots of it.

Had a strong WJC in 2016

Our Russian scout is pretty good ;) Korshkov impressed during the WJCs

Turning 20 pretty soon so he could be in the AHL as soon as next season

Well, we all were asking who Andrew Nielsen was last year.

Hopefully this works out the same

wow, so I hope this one pays off. I trust our scouting, but this is kind of a head scratcher

Yegor Korschkov - welcome the Leafs land

They could have picked him with later selection - may be in 3 rd round, there has to be a reason

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
No problem with the pick. I assume Hunter et al know what they're doing. Preference was for someone else though

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
My notes from my readings:

Overager X2 is big pwd fwd… Strong on board battles… good mobility and acceleration… Intelligent player… Good playmaker… needs a better shot… Big points in MHL playoffs… Regular in KHL already... Father was a humungous dman who played in Kazahkstan for many years…

I'm content with this pick.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I had him going late third (85th).

I ain't no pro scout, but I am surprised.
Especially since we have a second second pick later this round even, and the scouting team showed last year they've got no problem trading down instead of going of the board.

I'll trust you Hunter, but I am a little confused.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I like what i'm reading and hearing on the guy. Can't complain if he becomes a player ... the problem is there were some really SOLID names on the board ... high stock players that won't be there later. Tough to skip out on all of that for an off board pick ... but ... if they wanted him THAT much more than anyone else? and think he wouldn't be there later ... ? I guess?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I honestly liked no one at that pick, so we definitely should have traded down. Only problem is that there isn't much there later. Tough spot I guess, but I still would have moved down.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
I like the pick. He's a big skilled guy, and he played in the KHL against men last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad