2016 IIHF World Junior Championships

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I find it strange people act critical, spiteful and disappointed in teenage hockey players.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I find it strange people act critical, spiteful and disappointed in teenage hockey players.

Try getting out to a 7-8 year old hockey game and watch how critical, spiteful, and disappointed some parents are with their own kids :help:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Try getting out to a 7-8 year old hockey game and watch how critical, spiteful, and disappointed some parents are with their own kids :help:

I've coached my kid since he was 7, pretty much seen it all. :shakehead

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

I agree that things are going a bit far when people are this upset with 17/18/19 year olds. That said, these are not just any teenagers ... these are guys who have aspirations to being professional hockey players.

Do people complain about how much pressure is put on 18/19 year olds who are under intense pressure in pre-med programmes or trying to get into a good university so they can pursue a professional career? I don't see a big difference. And learning how to deal with the pressure at the World Juniors will help them deal with it when they reach their goal which is the NHL.

Frankly, a lot of kids would probably kill for a chance to represent their country at the World Juniors. So that's another reason I'm not too shocked/appalled at the reaction of the people who have expectations for the kids who did get the invite.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I agree that things are going a bit far when people are this upset with 17/18/19 year olds. That said, these are not just any teenagers ... these are guys who have aspirations to being professional hockey players.

Do people complain about how much pressure is put on 18/19 year olds who are under intense pressure in pre-med programmes or trying to get into a good university so they can pursue a professional career? I don't see a big difference. And learning how to deal with the pressure at the World Juniors will help them deal with it when they reach their goal which is the NHL.

Frankly, a lot of kids would probably kill for a chance to represent their country at the World Juniors. So that's another reason I'm not too shocked/appalled at the reaction of the people who have expectations for the kids who did get the invite.

The pressure is fine, it's the immense message of failure is what I don't care for. If I had a kid who was under intense pressure with entrance exams, I wouldn't tell them how badly I think they failed if they didn't get in.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Happy to see Finland win it. They will be contending again next year with that top line a year older. (if they're not in the NHL of course)

KANADA89

Sep 30, 2015
We did it! WE DID IT!

Who Matthews?

I'd love seeing either Puljujärvi, or Laine on Jets. Preferably Laine, that dude is out of this world. World class wrister with speed and size. I love him. I love everybody.

GOLD!!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Big Congrats to Finland!!!!!

That was really really fun to watch. I went nuts when Finland got the OT winner. Can't believe how good the Fin 17 year olds are. I have been watching this tourney forever and have seen some of the best draft eligible kids (Lindros, Crosby, McDavid, Matthews, and Eichel) and I have never seen anything like the utter domination of Laine (7 games 13 points) Paljujarvi (7 games 17 points) and Juolevi (7 games 9 points). Not only did they put up points but they looked dominant almost all of the time.

I am a much bigger fan of centre's and D men but both big Fin forwards 6'4" and 6'3" have that Ilya Kovalchuk level dominant forward feel to them.

Crazy year for 17 year olds that we probably won't see again.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Somewhat Jets related, one of the first ever Finnish stars to play in North America and for the Winnipeg Jets in the WHA, Veli-Pekka Ketola won his first gold medal with theam Finland as the team manager: http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/a1452052588240

His comment: "I guess you're never too old to win the World Junior Championships." :laugh:

plr145x1.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad