2016 Draft Discussion - Mid Season Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The record for most picks in a draft in the modern era heading in is 13. We should beat this handily, with our work of art tank job.

Hunter will grab skill at every pick. Even the guys who were ostensibly not skilled guys (Nielsen, Desrocher), now look skilled. Hunter gonna Hunter.

Chicago had 17 picks in 2004.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Yeah, open to debate which defenders to take, I went with the highest ranked ones who could be available and they happened to fit what I think we need. I'm also very open to both Sergachev and Juolevi, possibly moving down from 4 in that scenario. At 18 I'm also open to McAvoy, amongst others. I will trust Hunter's choice I'm not really dead set on any of the defenders.

I prefer Keller but if he's gone by this point I'd be open. Would love to move up from 18 to potentially grab a dman should one make it to the 10 area (I have them ranked Serg, Joulevi, Chychrun).

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Not much talk on Fabbro.
If he slides to the PITT selection we should take him.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Not much talk on Fabbro.
If he slides to the PITT selection we should take him.

Fabbro, Brown, Keller, Bellows, Jones, Rubtsov...lots of good players in this range. Thankfully this is a pretty deep draft.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Can anyone tell me more about Logan Stanley?

I've always been intrigued by huge Dmen who can actually play with some skill.

A big shutdown Dmen who's got a little screw-loose nastiness and who can blast it from the point are always hard to play against.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011

A big shutdown Dmen who's got a little screw-loose nastiness and who can blast it from the point are always hard to play against.

Skill isn't his calling card from what I've seen. He also plays with Sergachev, who is just so much better at everything that it makes Stanley look even worse.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

You mean someone like Jared Cowen? I think we already have one of those :sarcasm:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Komisarek 2.0

Not exactly the type of d-men the league is focussing on drafting these days.

Not with a ten foot pole imho.

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
Stanley in the second round would be a fair pickup. If he proves he can think the game, he might be a solid NHLer.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Tkachuk, 45 games played:
11 G, 14 1A, 26 2A (25 primary points, 51 points) at even strength.

Gauthier, 43 games played
27 G, 7 1A, 2 2A (34 primary points, 36 points) at even strength.

Gauthier has more goals at even strength than Tkachuk has primary points. I can only imagine what his numbers would look like if he'd played with Marner and Dvorak. Even those who would like to see us use a top pick on a gritty winger should reconsider whether Tkachuk is the best option. Gauthier is bigger, a better skater, and a better goal scorer than Tkachuk. Tkachuk has better linemates.

I said it a while ago, but I think Gauthier will be like Benn. That type of steal, just not 5th round type here.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

I do as well, however Dylan Mcilrath (spelling) and Jameson Oleksiak don't exactly bode well.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
would love Laine but adding another winger is rebuild suicide. Leafs really need to add a centre or d with that 1st pick. Mathews please. Followed by Stamkos and we are set at centre for the next 7 years. Kadri dropping down to a 3rd line centre would be great. Then focus the remainder of our picks on 2 goalies and D

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
would love Laine but adding another winger is rebuild suicide. Leafs really need to add a centre or d with that 1st pick. Mathews please. Followed by Stamkos and we are set at centre for the next 7 years. Kadri dropping down to a 3rd line centre would be great. Then focus the remainder of our picks on 2 goalies and D

If we are 2nd overall we pick laine 10 out of 10 times, you don't pass up elite talent. His ceiling is a 50 goal scorer!

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I said it a while ago, but I think Gauthier will be like Benn. That type of steal, just not 5th round type here.

I don't see that, but I think he could be a JVR type of player. A little better skater, a little bigger, and a little worse hands. Getting a player like that in the 8-12 range is a success, and that's where Gauthier belongs (and Tkachuk belongs after him).

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

If we pick 2nd we're taking Laine no questions asked. What you need later on is for the scouting staff to find a gem who plays center. It's not easy but also not impossible to find an elite center outside the top 10.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015

The reason benn slipped to the 5th round was because he was playing in the bchl where he scored 65 points in 53 games.

Tyson Jost just scored his 100th in 46. That's where the steal is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad