2016 Draft Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I still don't understand why people think his offensive game will be a problem.

Let's compare him with Doughty for a moment.

2005–06 Guelph Storm OHL 65 5 28 33 40 14 0 13 13 18
2006–07 Guelph Storm OHL 67 21 53 74 76 4 2 3 5 8
2007–08 Guelph Storm OHL 58 13 37 50

Here are Doughty's 3 years in Junior. 2007 was his final junior year when he was the same age as Jakob and he scored below PPG.

2014–15 Sarnia Sting OHL 42 16 17 33

This was Chyhcrun's 2014 season, scoring at essentially the same clip as Doughty, despite being a year younger in that very same scenario.

2015-16 Sarnia Sting OHL 42 7 22 29

This is his stat line for this season thus far. Almost identical, despite the fact that he was nursing a hurt shoulder and the team in front of him couldn't produce any offence. Would anyone say that picking Doughty was the wrong move? No, and especially now not in hindsight.

Bottom line is, Jakob has amazing hockey IQ, great defensive positioning, he's the best skater in the draft when it comes to defence men and he's already a man child in terms of size and he's only 17. Anybody who passes on him beyond the 3-4 range will be sorry in the future as far as I can tell. If we're drafting 4, I want no one else besides him.

Really, REALLY debatable.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I have no opinion on Chychrun, but I can back up that statement. I have a very similar shoulder/dislocation story with a former teammate of mine, and it became such an issue he had to leave a good team where he got paid, our physio had no idea how to stop it.

Any joint insures, especially at a young age will always be a concern. I strained the ligaments in my ankle and it's never been the same. Then I did the other one, and I'm sure it's because I over compensated the weight on that side psychologically.

Not saying don't draft JC, but the type of injuries are definitely cause for concern.

Yeah, it's not really just the physical side of it. Mentally it takes a toll. Genetically, JC is actually amazing (considering his size and physical traits) so I think he'll be fine.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Well, that's my opinion.

I'm just saying he's got solid competition in that regard from Juolevi. Sergachev isn't as silky smooth, but easily as explosive in his first strides getting to top speed. Juolevi is like a Kaberle clone in how he moves around the rink.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I'm just saying he's got solid competition in that regard from Juolevi. Sergachev isn't as silky smooth, but easily as explosive in his first strides getting to top speed. Juolevi is like a Kaberle clone in how he moves around the rink.

Believe it or not, some will say that Day is the best skater in this class.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Juolevi has questionable transition speed and could use work on his acceleration.

I'd agree that Chychrun is the best skater of the three but not by much. He has more power than either of the other two.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Watched Abramov for the first time because I was really intrigued by his scouting reports. In short, he's a very special talent. Some of the best raw skill in this draft I believe, I was getting Kucherov vibes all game.

Again, only one game, but if you can get that skill in the 2nd round you're laughing.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Juolevi has questionable transition speed and could use work on his acceleration.

I'd agree that Chychrun is the best skater of the three but not by much. He has more power than either of the other two.

Juolevi is 6'2" and 179lbs, while Chychrun is 6'2" and 205lbs. I think Juolevi is not physically matured, he'll gain explosiveness a he physically matures. His agility/mobility is really elite imho, I think you have to project his skating to some degree.

91Kadri91*

Mete's a better skater than all of them.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
I can see a lot of people's opinions on this, but MikeyG's obsession with continually putting Chychrun down as a prospect is just pathetic at this point.

Seriously, it's the same thing every couple pages, getting tired of every conversation getting derailed so that one poster can revel in his prediction that Chycrun has dropped out of the Top 3 (which hasn't even happened yet)

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Yeah. There's not much talk about him, but he has those Perry/Benn qualities from the get go already. Crazy size, skill to compliment it. Obviously needs some polishing before he plays in the NHL, but I just feel like anyone who takes him will end up getting one of the top wingers in the future. That kind of size and skill doesn't just grow on trees. So if he's still there at the Pitts pick, I take him in a heartbeat.

I think not much talk because of where he projects to go, he'll be long gone by the Pens' 1st, and a bit of a reach where we hope to be with our own 1st. I don't know exactly where to rank him, I'd say he's in the discussion outside of the top 6 or so.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
I believe it. He's one of the best skaters I've ever seen. Period.

Wow, really....I mean I know the guy is lacking in smarts and attitude (or so I hear) but I feel like us getting another 2nd and using it on Day and having Keefe/maybe Babcock one day working with him could mitigate a lot of those issues.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Wow, really....I mean I know the guy is lacking in smarts and attitude (or so I hear) but I feel like us getting another 2nd and using it on Day and having Keefe/maybe Babcock one day working with him could mitigate a lot of those issues.

He's incredibly gifted physically. There's absolutely no denying that. Many scouts compared his skating to Coffey. He really is a physical specimen. The problem, as we all know, is upstairs. He hasn't put it all together up there, and if he ever did, he has the tools to be a top pick. He's just yet to show a willingness to do so.

If we acquire another 2nd rounder, I want he and Stanley. Stanley at the top of the 2nd, and Day with the other. 2 guys that could be absolute homeruns with great coaching.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Im not a big believer in reclamation projects; Ho-Sang, the Russian kid the Isles drafted years ago, but if Babcock meets with Sean prior to the draft and thinks he can be a player, by all means. Ernie is right, this kid is an exceptional skater; some scouts have said he is one of the best skaters they have ever seen.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I remember one scout said he thinks Day is as physically gifted enough to be as good as Orr at skating. Immensely high praise. If he had any semblance of hockey IQ, he'd probably be going first overall.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I only look at Day as a worthwhile pick if you have more than one second rounder. You get him in the office, explain to him that play time is over, and you send him back to junior with a laundry list of expectations to meet, both on and off the ice. If you can put a fire under his arse, you have the steal of the draft, plain and simple.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I only look at Day as a worthwhile pick if you have more than one second rounder. You get him in the office, explain to him that play time is over, and you send him back to junior with a laundry list of expectations to meet, both on and off the ice. If you can put a fire under his arse, you have the steal of the draft, plain and simple.

Depends on how many seconds we have come draft time. I know I would want the Leafs to use one second rounder on Carter Hart (we're short on goalie prospects). But I wouldn't mind Day at all, assuming the management tells him exactly how to do it. If he improves his hockey IQ, combined with his ridiculous skating, getting him in the second round would be the steal of the draft I would think.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Pulju and Keller (probably won't be available for Pitts' pick, but still) would be such an awesome first round.
That skill... :naughty:

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

I've been a proponent of Day but at this point I'm not sure I'd even use a second on him. He's done very little to show any sort of improvement. Even the tools don't justify taking him that high at this point.

He's definitely a guy I'd like to take a chance on, he's a total homerun pick. But I would rather a 3rd rounder or lower, not a 2nd round pick

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd have a hard time using a 2nd on Day knowing there's so many unpicked players with skill and character still on the board. Homerun picks should be done after the 2nd round, where you start to see a decline in odds of prospects making it.

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
Bean with the Pen's pick, intrigued with what i've read on him, anyone with the lowdown, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad