Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers defeat the LA Kings, 4-1

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The only way i see PLD turning it around is if he gets sick and tired of being the whipping boy in LA. Has he received enough heat around town? Will he? Cause dude needs a serious wake up call.
There's not much "heat" around town in large American cities like LA (I learned this moving from Edmonton to Chicago). The Kings will only be worthy of a few minutes during any sports media. The majority will focus on the Lakers and Dodgers

Dubois will start enjoying the LA summer life this weekend and few will recognize or care about him.
A net front Gabe Vilardi would have probably scored a PPG or two for them
Iafollo was always good for a few goals against too.

Reactions: TheNumber4

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Hopefully the refs who were involved in this disgraceful series never ref another playoff game this year. I don't think LA would have won with their officiating, but this has to be some of the worst officiating I've seen in a long time.
Curious, what areas of the officiating didn’t you like?

Just the Oiler PP’s I assume?

Game 3 they lost control of the game.
Game 4 they tried to not call any penalties.
Game 5 they called the game like it was a regular season game.

The reason it feels so bad is because the Kings PP got blanked……and the Oilers PP might just be the best of all time.

A combined 150% swing in special teams. Has to be a record.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Congrats Oilers fans, good luck in the next round.

I said it ahead of the series that the Kings have gotten worse while the Oilers have gotten better and that much is definitely obvious to everyone by now. All that's left to do is to hope for some real changes in the Kings organization.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Curious, what areas of the officiating didn’t you like?

Just the Oiler PP’s I assume?

Game 3 they lost control of the game.
Game 4 they tried to not call any penalties.
Game 5 they called the game like it was a regular season game.

The reason it feels so bad is because the Kings PP got blanked……and the Oilers PP might just be the best of all time.

A combined 150% swing in special teams. Has to be a record.
This. Its hard to blame the referees when the Kings kept taking penalties and couldn't kill them off.

We would have the same people in here complaining about the officiating if they were calling everything they would in the regular season every game under the guise of "playoff hockey". There were a lot of things that could have been called as penalties this series that weren't, from both teams. The only reason it felt like Edmonton had more powerplays, is like you said - the Oilers PP was rolling, and the Kings got blanked.

Reactions: onetweasy

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
LA complaining about the refs and not being able to stop the Oilers power play is why the lost this series. The biggest problem is that LA looked very dirty and shameless with penalties (Specifically the Fiala dive). My biggest complaint is that we almost saw nothing from Byfield this series, and he was constantly being thrown around as a kid who was finally turning the corner. The other issue? PLD. That guy is the worst and has done nothing to help the Kings at all this season. Lets be real a lot of trades that Rob Blake has made are starting to bite LA back, like Fiala for Faber. Minnesota will be grateful to have a kid who plays over 24 minutes a night.

Reactions: Giggleplex

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Good win for the Oilers, they played well for the most part although I am really unimpressed with the Kings overall and didn't think they played very well so I am not overly excited yet. Good win but we will see when they face a stronger opponent if they can maintain that defensive edge and the goaltending holds up. LA did very little in the series at all. I am not sure if Edmonton was that good or LA was just that bad. I did like a lot of what Edmonton did in the series.

Last edited:
Reactions: joestevens29

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Wasn't it a proven myth that refs put the whistles away in playoffs? This series has been called as good as any other.

The one doubtful one there is on Fiala, but that player made the same ref look bad by doing a couple bad dives in a previous game that the ref bit on. Plus, even with video of it, it looks like it could be embellishment. The Dubois call seems bad at the time but the video showed it might have been a butt end of the stick to Drai's head.

As far as I'm concerned the Kings got away with too much in game 4. That's only the playoff standard in some people's imagination

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
What you saw in this series was the Oilers finally getting favourable officiating like the Avs usually get.

It’s actually insane to see the Oilers get consistently favourable officiating over the course of a series. 1 call? 1 game? Rare, but possible. A series? How.!? Did we finally pay the right guy?

If the Oilers get fair-to-favourable officiating in the rest of the playoffs they have extremely favourable odds at the cup, imo

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Anyone that thinks Leon Draisaitl can’t play defence after watching this series doesn’t know hockey. Not only can he play D, he may be the best defensive forward in the game today. Educate yourself watch Game 4. Atleast 10 kings o-zone possessions stuffed by a Draisaitl play.

MVP of this series. And the Oilers early nomination for Conn Smythe.
They played the LA kings. At best they are the 2nd worst team in the playoffs. Draisaitl is not even a top 20 defensive forward.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Better team won, was little doubt most of the series.

Was a good proving ground for all of the refs from game 3 on to not ref the next rounds, those guys were lost.

Thanks for the absolute pounding too, should affect change in LA. can't make much of an argument when you, as GM, got the matchup you want, the players you got to 'fix' it, and full health going at it, every condition you want, and objectively have a worse year in the regular season AND playoffs. Of course, the rumors of what that change will be are troubling...but for now, we wait.

Edit: oh and at least Kempe scored one last goal just to at least SORT OF give Oilers fans pause :laugh:
I thought the Kings had a real good thing going a few years ago. The Fiala and PLD trades sort of derailed all that. The Kings would look a lot better now if they had Faber, Vilardi and Iafallo with no PLD long term anchor attached to them.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They definitely lost control of game 3 and then attempted to tighten the screws on it far too late. I didn't otherwise catch a lot of the series, but I'll take your word for it on the other four games. Not a good look, and I'm usually one to defend the officials.
I don’t know if I’d take the word of known oiler hater.

He would be upset if the oilers got 1 powerplay all series

Reactions: Summer Rose

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
General public consensus that the Oilers would not want to face the good regular season Canucks I think? But I honestly think they might have trouble with Nashville, defense is a little more blue collar and Saros can steal games, versus the goalie injuries in Vancouver

Reactions: Summer Rose

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
LA wasn't going to win the series, but I absolute hate losing a game like last night, in that fashion. Absolute garbage calls, 6-1 on calls, with 4 of them on LA being absolute bullshit fantasy. I've officiated for 30 years, clearly never at that level, but I'd be absolutely shocked, if those two move on to the 2nd round, that was absolutely embarrassing

which ones were garbage? the slewfoot by PLD? the hilariously bad embellishment by Fiala? (how does a persons feet shoot out from under them on a hook into the hands) the very obvious hook by Danault at the end of the game?

The reason people think this was "poor" officiating is because it was not typical for a playoff game. I think because game 3 got out of hand, the officials decided to call the series more by the actual rulebook, as opposed to the "playoff" rulebook, which then means less is let go.

But no matter how you slice it, the Kings special teams were extremely bad, regardless of if the penalties called should or should not have been called, it's still on the Kings for not executing on the PP or PK.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
General public consensus that the Oilers would not want to face the good regular season Canucks I think? But I honestly think they might have trouble with Nashville, defense is a little more blue collar and Saros can steal games, versus the goalie injuries in Vancouver
I’m not too worried about who wins that series, more so hoping it goes 7.

They both present their own problems the oilers would have to deal with

Reactions: Oilhawks

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Whats the more surprising stat? Oilers around 50% on the pp or la kings not getting a single powerplay goal all series

Crazy that the Oilers finishing 9/20 doesn't include the two "power play" goals that the scored last night as the penalties were expiring... they were actually ABOVE 50% on the series.

Also, Vinny D is a rock on the PK.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
They played the LA kings. At best they are the 2nd worst team in the playoffs. Draisaitl is not even a top 20 defensive forward.
Oh hello there, Mr. Salty Leafs fan. haven't see you post any garbage in a while, I was getting worried that your all-encompassing obsession with everything Oilers was starting to fade....Glad to see I'm wrong.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was watching the highlights and couldn't help but giggle at the power plays. It's just comical at this point, feels like you're looking at the Harlem Globetrotters playing high schoolers. What are you even supposed to do against that?

I really liked the Sportsnet (?) breakdown of it on what each member brings and how McDavid is just the secret freelancing ingredient opening up options.

It'll be a lot harder to get into the slot vs. teams with bigger better dmen but that squad being able to improvise with all-world talent in every way--trigger/big body down low, elite garbageman, insano point shot/OFD, crafty RNH--will adapt. Not 50%, haha, but still fantastic and poetry to watch.

That Kings rebuild…doesn’t look done yet.

Oh it's done alright! haha.

ah yes Allan Walsh, a beacon a of truth and integrity from a scumbag agent

Kings didn't score a PP goal all series, that the story

Walsh--but also Aaron Ward, PJ Stock, and several former LA (now banished) media who usually hate on the team.

LA complaining about the refs and not being able to stop the Oilers power play is why the lost this series. The biggest problem is that LA looked very dirty and shameless with penalties (Specifically the Fiala dive). My biggest complaint is that we almost saw nothing from Byfield this series, and he was constantly being thrown around as a kid who was finally turning the corner. The other issue? PLD. That guy is the worst and has done nothing to help the Kings at all this season. Lets be real a lot of trades that Rob Blake has made are starting to bite LA back, like Fiala for Faber. Minnesota will be grateful to have a kid who plays over 24 minutes a night.

Byfield was LA's best forward. Despite the toughest matchups he was on the ice for 7gf 2 against, no king was even close, that's 77 GF%, and controlled the flow of play when he was out there, and also played incredibly physically. Not sure what you were seeing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad