OT: 2016 Blue Jays/MLB thread v2.0

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think Chapman is a more valuable piece then say Fowler who might get a similar payday. The Blue Jays should have signed EE, an outfielder (Revere) and Chapman. They would have been such a good team :laugh:

Sanchez, Happ, Estrada, Stroman, Liriano with Chapman and Osuna out of the bullpen. Jeez. Owell. One can dream.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
That's a lot of money considering they won't be handing him the ball very often.
Sure is. It's not even like he's an Andrew Miller who pitches multiple innings per outing. The reliever market (more specifically late inning guys) has been crazy this year.

I think Chapman is a more valuable piece then say Fowler who might get a similar payday. The Blue Jays should have signed EE, an outfielder (Revere) and Chapman. They would have been such a good team :laugh:

Sanchez, Happ, Estrada, Stroman, Liriano with Chapman and Osuna out of the bullpen. Jeez. Owell. One can dream.

Fowler has more value to the Jays than any reliever IMO. The Jays lacked a lead off presence last year, they had high strikeout rates, they lacked speed to manufacture runs on the base paths. Not to mention an everyday fielder absolutely holds more value than a one inning reliever. Grilli then Osuna are already a good 8 + 9, where as our OF currently consists of Pillar, Upton, and Carerra/Pompey.

A good bull pen can be put together for pennies on the dollar with cheap veterans, reclamation projects and failed starters.

I mean, I get the appeal because Clevelands' pen last year, but Miller also doesn't cost them 17 million and is a multiple inning guy.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Oh ya you don't trade Stroman. Especially for a 30 yr old coming off a career year playing in Coors Field. 2/3 pitchers are hard to find. OFers are not.

Got to think the Jays are a better team with Fowler + Stroman then they would be with Blackmon alone and whatever scraps they can find to fill out the rotation.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Not only the Indians but the Royals won the AL because of their elite bullpens.

It's one thing to say you can create a good bull-pen for pennies on the dollar and it's another thing to have two shutout innings in any regular season and 4 in the playoffs.

Revere could fill a similar role to Fowler.

I think the bullpen is more important than ever.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Chatter has really slowed down lately, and still no signings of the two Dominicans. And of course, the Jays still haven't figured out the top of their order.

As it is now, though, is there enough offence here?:

1. Carrera
2. Travis
3. Donaldson
4. Morales
5. Tulowitzky
6. Pearce
7. Martin
8. Pillar
9. Upton

I have my doubts. Anyone I'm forgetting? Smoak can platoon with Pearce, of course, so that he can still pump up the strikeout numbers of any big-league pitcher who knows how to spin a curveball. Offensively, Bautista re-signing and Revere being brought back makes a world of difference, in my opinion:

1. Revere
2. Travis
3. Donaldson
4. Bautista
5. Morales
6. Tulowitzky
7. Martin
8. Pearce
9. Pillar

So much more dangerous, and many options for how to configure that lineup.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
It's very unlikely that Atkins is done assembling next years roster. With what should be roughly $23M (I believe that's what I read) left to spend in order to address the outfield, bullpen and backup catcher, there's still a bit of room to play, though I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect any big acquisitions.

If it is status quo, that is a very disappointing offseason IMO.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's very unlikely that Atkins is done assembling next years roster. With what should be roughly $23M (I believe that's what I read) left to spend in order to address the outfield, bullpen and backup catcher, there's still a bit of room to play, though I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect any big acquisitions.

If it is status quo, that is a very disappointing offseason IMO.

To be honest, I think it always was going to be. The Jays were a team with a lot of expiring contracts and veterans whose play is steadily diminishing. They also have a dearth of prospects ready to break into the team or be used as trade chips. The only hope for a positive off-season would be to attempt to buy success through carefree spending, and that was never really in the cards.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
To be honest, I think it always was going to be. The Jays were a team with a lot of expiring contracts and veterans whose play is steadily diminishing. They also have a dearth of prospects ready to break into the team or be used as trade chips. The only hope for a positive off-season would be to attempt to buy success through carefree spending, and that was never really in the cards.

I'd agree with that. Though, I'm still cautiously optimistic that the lineup will be at least average as there are still some nice pieces. I like that there will likely be a shift to a less power oriented approach, which should help, but a legitimate lead off hitter is still needed. Like you said though, it's a pretty old lineup, and any sort of significant step back from one or more of Tulo, Martin, Morales and Pearce, would be detrimental.

I'll also point out that the rotation was able to stay relatively healthy for all of last year, which could be unlikely to continue.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Apparently Joey Bats has rejected multiple contract offers specifically because he wants to return to the Jays. Nice to hear.

He hasn't signed with the Jays yet because they haven't offered him what he believes is enough money yet, but if he's dead-set on Toronto, that means it's all in Atkins' hands now.

I kind of feel for Jose. He's like Curtis Glencross. He signed a home-town deal which hurt his earnings when he was a superstar, expecting that to be made up to him on his next contract, but when he got to that next contract, he had started to decline, meaning no one was interested in giving him a raise. The Jays are playing hardball here, but given there is no salary cap to worry about, I hope they can compromise. It's not like Rogers is tight for money.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's as much Edwin's mistake as the Jays. Edwin and his agent were extremely confident they would be getting a huge contract on the open market, and thus rejected what ended up being the best offer they received from the Jays. As soon as that happened, Edwin effectively closed the book on the Jays, and Atkins had to act.

This is exactly why the NHL has their negotiation period prior to July 1st. To prevent things like this.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't care if Edwin lost money. The Blue Jays lineup is going to be garbage next year. That contract is peanuts compared to the playoff revenues they will lose. Not to mention they had a great opportunity to really solidify the Blue Jays brand. Instead it will fall back to mediocrity like it always has been. Congrats. We can watch 81-81 teams for another decade!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad