OT: 2016 Blue Jays/MLB thread v2.0

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Blackmon is an all-star calibre outfielder that hits .300 with power not a starting pitcher

He also brings + speed and is a LH bat, which would fit the front offices MO of establishing a better balance throughout the lineup.

On the other side of the argument though, last year was by far his best year, so perhaps proceed with caution, although he still had good numbers prior.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He also brings + speed and is a LH bat, which would fit the front offices MO of establishing a better balance throughout the lineup.

On the other side of the argument though, last year was by far his best year, so perhaps proceed with caution, although he still had good numbers prior.
He's hit something like .285 through his whole career and yeah last year his power numbers went up, but even without them he'd be a decent lead off option

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
He's hit something like .285 through his whole career and yeah last year his power numbers went up, but even without them he'd be a decent lead off option

Yeah, true.

The question for me then becomes, are the Jays a better team with Blackmon, and no Stroman, then they would be with Stroman and maybe Fowler? Not sure Fowler would want to come to TO, as I remember (or at least seem to) that he wanted CF time last year, which he wouldn't get over Pillar.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Blackmon is an all-star calibre outfielder that hits .300 with power not a starting pitcher

He'll play where I tell him to play. :rant:

Actually, I was thinking of Cashman, not Blackmon. Cashmon was traded at the deadline anyway, which only added to my confusion.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Trading Stroman is a huge no, no. The Red Sox just got Sale, I love Happ and Estrada, but our future 1/2 studs are Sanchez and Stroman. Move other pieces to get Blackmon.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
There really are no other pieces they can move. Atkins said it himself today that they were in on all of the big names traded players, they just don't have anything in the pipeline that is enough to entrigue other teams to jump on a deal with them.

I don't want to trade Stroman, but if he Atkins wants to move for any sort of big name, chances are Stromans' name will be thrown around often.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Stroman+ for Blackmon and the pitching prospect we gave up for Tulo. I think his name was Hoffman. Get on that Atkins.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Moving Stroman or Sanchez would be a mistake.

Sanchez is on another level. I wouldn't even consider moving him, he's got ace potential. Stroman on the other hand I would definitely consider moving should the return be right. Honestly, I still have questions about how effective a 5'8" starter can be long term, right or wrong.

Again, I'm not advocating trading Stroman, but there are some scenarios where it may make sense.
The team has bats. They need arms, not bats.

The rotation is the strength of this team right now. No need to look further than last year, where the offence struggled mightily, and the rotation was probably the reason they made the playoffs. Only arms they need are bullpen arms. Sanchez/Happ/Stroman/Estrada/Liriano looks damn good. Arms should be at the bottom of the shopping list right now as it pertains to the rotation and the bullpen can be filled easily with cheap veterans or failed starters.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, losing EE, Saunders and Bautista and replacing them with Morales and Pearce when the hitting struggled as much as it did is not a good thing

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sanchez is on another level. I wouldn't even consider moving him, he's got ace potential. Stroman on the other hand I would definitely consider moving should the return be right. Honestly, I still have questions about how effective a 5'8" starter can be long term, right or wrong.

Again, I'm not advocating trading Stroman, but there are some scenarios where it may make sense.

The rotation is the strength of this team right now. No need to look further than last year, where the offence struggled mightily, and the rotation was probably the reason they made the playoffs. Only arms they need are bullpen arms. Sanchez/Happ/Stroman/Estrada/Liriano looks damn good. Arms should be at the bottom of the shopping list right now as it pertains to the rotation and the bullpen can be filled easily with cheap veterans or failed starters.

I don't disagree, but last season Stroman was thought of to be future Ace at the start of the season. We forget he's still very young, he started off great, then really struggled for a stretch which soured some people on him. His last 4-5 starts, he was generally very effective and excellent. Honestly next season I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Sanchez be the one who has some struggles and see Stroman shine. I wouldn't trade either of them.

The Jays will also likely end up with Fowler, or they could probably get McCutchen for a reasonable price. Either of those guys would really help and there's still the possibility of bringing back Jose. Getting Blackmon would be amazing, but if the ask is Stroman, I'd rather just bring back Revere.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I heard the Jays weren't offering enough for Fowler

With McCutchen, he's salary is reasonable and his value is lower than normal but he should bounce back especially at Rogers. If the Jays take his salary, they can probably get him for a reasonable price.

They could also look at Bruce, they have quite a few options as there is a good amount of offence available. I doubt Edwin is coming back, but they are still talking. And there is a small market for Jose around the league, so the Jays could end up being a good option for him at a bargain.

I'd love Fowler, but the Jays sound like they've talked to everyone out there so I feel good they'll get something done.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hope something happens because as of this moment, I do not see the Jays as a playoff team

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Yeah, losing EE, Saunders and Bautista and replacing them with Morales and Pearce when the hitting struggled as much as it did is not a good thing

I definitely agree. I will say there is still plenty of time to make moves, but as of now, the offence is worse than it was last year, or at least I don't think it's unreasonable to say it should be.

At the end of the day, subtracting Encarnacion, Bautista and Saunders takes away 88 HR, 252 RBI, and 237 R. We've replaced that with 43 HR, 128 RBI and 100 R. Granted both Morales and Pearce are an upgrade on all 3 in terms of BA, and Pearce is an upgrade on all 3 in terms of OBP.

The looks of a lineup something like:

C-Martin
1B-Pearce/Smoak
2B-Travis
SS-Tulowitzki
3B-Donaldson
LF-Upton
CF-Pillar
RF-Carrera

Isn't exactly inspiring much confidence in me. We need bats still.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Martin will put up less offence as well. However I'm expecting better years from: Travis, Tulo, Donaldson and Pillar.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I heard the Jays weren't offering enough for Fowler

I also seem to remember reading that he left either term or money (or both) on the table last year in order to get a CF gig, if he still has his heart set on playing in centre, there's little chance he gets that ahead of Pillar, thus may not even be interested in coming to TO, though I hope they can snag him.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Damn, Yanks got Chapman.

It's an insane contract for a closer that could blow up in their faces, but for the immediate future he's worth it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Damn, Yanks got Chapman.

It's an insane contract for a closer that could blow up in their faces, but for the immediate future he's worth it.

They just traded chapman at the deadline, so they know what they're getting and it's never t like he helped them last year lol

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I definitely agree. I will say there is still plenty of time to make moves, but as of now, the offence is worse than it was last year, or at least I don't think it's unreasonable to say it should be.

At the end of the day, subtracting Encarnacion, Bautista and Saunders takes away 88 HR, 252 RBI, and 237 R. We've replaced that with 43 HR, 128 RBI and 100 R. Granted both Morales and Pearce are an upgrade on all 3 in terms of BA, and Pearce is an upgrade on all 3 in terms of OBP.

The looks of a lineup something like:

C-Martin
1B-Pearce/Smoak
2B-Travis
SS-Tulowitzki
3B-Donaldson
LF-Upton
CF-Pillar
RF-Carrera

Isn't exactly inspiring much confidence in me. We need bats still.

Forgot Morales.

If Travis stays healthy for once, and maybe see an uptick in offense from Tulo and Martin, things won't look that bad. That being said, any team that's trying to win with Melvin Upton and Carrera as starters isn't serious about winning. I'd rather they give Pompey a corner spot and see what if there's anything there with the bat. He's a plus plus outfielder so the defense isn't an issue. They have to upgrade at least one of those though.. I think ideally we need a leadoff guy unless Travis can hold it down.

Travis
Pearce
Donaldson
Morales
Tulo
Martin
Pillar
Carrera
Pompey

Backup C
Smoak
Barney
Upton

Those are some weak bats at the bottom of the lineup. We need at a left handed bat in the OF, preferably of the leadoff type, to slide Travis to the 2 hole, Pearce to 6-7 and move Carrera/Upton or Pompey out of the starting OF.

Or they can just resign Edwin or get a cheap Jose to play 1B and Pearce to the OF.

Travis
Donaldson
Encarnacion
Morales
Tulo
Pearce
Martin
Pillar
Carrera/Upton

Deeper lineup, but still too RH heavy though. Will get exposed again.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Oh ya you don't trade Stroman. Especially for a 30 yr old coming off a career year playing in Coors Field. 2/3 pitchers are hard to find. OFers are not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad