OT: 2016 Blue Bombers Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
This is unfortunate situation. Clearly these people could not handle their alcohol/are just general *******s. Fortunately it does not reflect the majority of fans. Good on Bomber organization for stepping up for the fans affected. Bomber organization has always been classy about stuff like this. They did help out a buddy of mine who had a similar issue in the past as well.

You should venture into the Rider fan forum. You'll see a familiar name from the past questioning whether this incident really happened. No loss to this forum. :shakehead

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You should venture into the Rider fan forum. You'll see a familiar name from the past questioning whether this incident really happened. No loss to this forum. :shakehead

I think it's totally fair to question whether this really happened. The only witness appears to be the mother who reported the incident. I can't imagine the 99% (90%? 75%?) of Bomber fans who aren't drunk AND idiots would allow beer to be poured on a kid's head without stepping in. So yeah, doesn't really pass the smell test as reported. I'm not saying it's all just Munchausen syndrome by proxy, but questioning whether this actually happened seems reasonable.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think it's totally fair to question whether this really happened. The only witness appears to be the mother who reported the incident. I can't imagine the 99% (90%? 75%?) of Bomber fans who aren't drunk AND idiots would allow beer to be poured on a kid's head without stepping in. So yeah, doesn't really pass the smell test as reported. I'm not saying it's all just Munchausen syndrome by proxy, but questioning whether this actually happened seems reasonable.

Yep, doesn't pass the sniff test to me either. Sure something happened, but I think this incident had to be highly exaggerated. Sure I can see a couple drunken fans harassing a fan that looks to be from the other side, but the swearing, beer pouring, multiple other fans joining in, etc. etc. all seems wayyyyy overblown.

I mean we are talking a 9-year old kid here. Not some mouthy teen or a vocal fan of the opposition. It would take a real jerk or a real drunk to tie into a kid like that unprovoked. But to accuse others of joining in afterwards, and nobody except a rider fan/mom coming to the kids rescue -- nope can't see it.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Yep, doesn't pass the sniff test to me either. Sure something happened, but I think this incident had to be highly exaggerated. Sure I can see a couple drunken fans harassing a fan that looks to be from the other side, but the swearing, beer pouring, multiple other fans joining in, etc. etc. all seems wayyyyy overblown.

I mean we are talking a 9-year old kid here. Not some mouthy teen or a vocal fan of the opposition. It would take a real jerk or a real drunk to tie into a kid like that unprovoked. But to accuse others of joining in afterwards, and nobody except a rider fan/mom coming to the kids rescue -- nope can't see it.

I can see it happening. I have attended a handful of banjo bowls over the years and it gets a little ridiculous in the concourse and there is a ton of vulgar jabs going back and forth between drunk rivals. Also the added ego boost of winning back to back games against the riders. I always have a great time observing the fans chirping each other.

lets not forget what happened to the 11yr old at the jets game that wore an islanders jersey, some fans are just fanatic and don't know where to draw the line.

AngelicAssassin*

Have you seen some of the millenials out there. They'd knock their own mother down for a nickel.

There is absolutely no respect in today's society by the younger generations and if you throw alcohol in the mix then I can see almost anything happening. And I can also see people just not wanting to get involved. If it's not happening to them they just don't care.

On the flip side we live in a time where everybody wants to get their 15 minutes of fame or will find any way possible to capitalize on any situation presented to them. We have people faking terminal cancer to scam people out of money, so who knows.

it sounds totally like something could happen though so until proven otherwise I'll believe it happened. Would hate to be the mother if it ever comes out this was all bs though.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg

Good on the Bomber's for trying to right the wrong!:handclap:

Meh. (If the event happened as it was reported) They're playing both sides. They don't play hardball with stupid drunks because they're paying customers and then just give some merch and tickets to the offended/assaulted fans to make up for the incident and for pr purposes. I'd be more impressed if the bombers had done something at the time and didn't need rider fans to help out.

AngelicAssassin*

There's a Rider fan forum? Where be this place of legend. Same place Bigfoot can be found.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If you go on twitter and see the mothers account and all her posts
... I think questioning if this actually happened or if she's just doing it to get more free stuff is totally reasonable.

You know why the bombers didn't do anything about this at first? Cuz she didn't tell them... she told the media first.... what are the bombers supposed to do at the time if she doesn't tell them. Find it hard to believe that not 1 other person actually saw this happening.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Excellent post by someone on another site

just watched that interview.... everyone of the separate incidents had the fans saying you stink, go back to where you came from, you shouldnt be here? then a... Im not sure if they are considered staff that work the roads for traffic but they are organized in someway... but they tell her to suck a ****?? thats pretty, hard to fully believe. I think who ever runs that traffic program would be pretty aggressive right now in finding out who and where that took place to repremand that volunteer or staff member..etc and I'm sure they would know who was working during the game

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Our section was 103, and there was alot of commotion in the section next to us, up a few rows. Everyone was looking, and there seemed to be a kid involved.

Not sure if this was the incident or not.

Was reading on a Riders forum all the comments about Winnipeg being trashy because of this incident. That made me laugh hard.

I know people that have gone to Regina for the LDC, and had to exit the stadium before halftime as the rudeness of tier fans was way over the top.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i, shamefully, remember being really drunk at a banjo bowl. Westwood won the game with a kick (50 yards or something nuts like that) with no time left. think i lobbed an empty beer can at a Riders' fan.

i've had TiCats' fans throw lit cigarettes at me at their home games. this is years ago. lots and lots of eye daggers. and this is when i was more mature and definitely sober, so we weren't that bad.

poop happens. now, i always suspect people who do those stories, and, of course, there's the token child-has-sad-face photo that goes along with the story (The Winnipeg Sun Special). like, we've all seen this before. in the end, whether it happened or not, the Bombers rectified it. so it's over with.

you hear stories of when the Habs were playing against the Flyers in the playoffs a few years ago, and a montreal reporter goes back to his car after the game and, because of his Quebec plates, his tire slashed and plate stolen. http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/gazette-writers-car-vandalized-after-flyers-canadiens-game so crap happens everywhere,

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
i, shamefully, remember being really drunk at a banjo bowl. Westwood won the game with a kick (50 yards or something nuts like that) with no time left. think i lobbed an empty beer can at a Riders' fan.

Well, at least it was empty. I would be shocked and appalled at the thought of you wasting beer. :laugh:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
If you go on twitter and see the mothers account and all her posts
... I think questioning if this actually happened or if she's just doing it to get more free stuff is totally reasonable.

You know why the bombers didn't do anything about this at first? Cuz she didn't tell them... she told the media first.... what are the bombers supposed to do at the time if she doesn't tell them. Find it hard to believe that not 1 other person actually saw this happening.

How are the Bombers supposed to control people that aren't employees? That's what my thoughts would have been...and if someone did that to one of my kids they'd be at the business end of my foot up their ass.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I'm gunna sound like a jerk, but:

Why take a kid to the Banjo Bowl?

No way my parents would have taken me to that atmosphere when I was a kid.

The a-holes who did that should be banned for life, but still.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

I completely see where you're coming from cause you know those types of fans will be there, especially at a game like this. IMO, if they want to make Bomber games completely family friendly, they need to stop serving alcohol or kick anyone out the moment they look like they've had too much. It's the only way to prevent that sort of stuff.

Yeah there's still the sober idiots too but far less of them, IMO.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Going to the football game was a great part of my childhood...why shouldn't you take them? It's not like the kid was two or something? People should know how to behave themselves.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Going to the football game was a great part of my childhood...why shouldn't you take them? It's not like the kid was two or something? People should know how to behave themselves.

I'm taking my kid Saturday, he's 6. I sit in family zone not my usual rum hut tix :naughty:
Been taking him to jets bombers the last year, it's been great. You just gotta watch as parent, but sometimes things happen unfortunately as was the case here.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
This type of stuff is common at CFL games. I've see at least one incident that is over line at every game I've gone to here in Edmonton. I was fortunate enough to be at the Milt Stegall miracle catch game, but I was a bit nervous leaving the game alone given the verbal abuse I was getting outside the stadium from groups of d-bags.

Nice weather + cheap tickets = drunken low life's attending games.

I won't even take my 5 year old to CFL a game here.

NHL games are usually more civilized (unless the Flames, Canucks, or Red Wings are in town).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
This type of stuff is common at CFL games. I've see at least one incident that is over line at every game I've gone to here in Edmonton. I was fortunate enough to be at the Milt Stegall miracle catch game, but I was a bit nervous leaving the game alone given the verbal abuse I was getting outside the stadium from groups of d-bags.

Nice weather + cheap tickets = drunken low life's attending games.

I won't even take my 5 year old to CFL a game here.

NHL games are usually more civilized (unless the Flames, Canucks, or Red Wings are in town).

In Edmonton the NHL games are worse. I've had zero problems wearing Blue Bomber gear, but wearing Jets gear I've had people try to fight me every time. Including one time where a guy tried to jump my nearly 60 year old dad.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

I had this thought too... I must admit.. just the multiple waves of abuse hurled at this woman and her 9 year old, reading the story again it does seem off.

Some incident maybe did happen, an insult hurled and then everything else was fabricated...I don't know...there are plenty of jerks out there but this all seems pretty extreme.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

I think there were a bunch of **** bags there, because, frankly, there are **** bags everywhere terrible beer costs enough to entice people to show up with a headstart.

But I've been going to the Banjo Bowl for years now and have seen thousands of interactions between Bomber fans and Rider fans and I've never seen **** bags picking on a kid, let alone for 30 straight minutes (as alleged).

Oh, well. If the Bombers win the Grey Cup I'll pour a beer over my own head in solidarity with this kid.

That's a pretty funny forum you've pointed me to.

Apropos nothing at all, if you use certain functions of this site you won't see selected users' posts and may not know they're no longer contributing until someone points it out to you in an off topic thread. FYI.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Like that changes anything. People should still know how to behave themselves...and I wouldn't want to ve my life in fear that someone will rude to my kid. And if they were...they'd have me to deal with.

I've never met you, but I have a feeling you're a much more imposing figure than the woman in this incident. I expect this is a situation you will never have to deal with. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad