OT: 2016 Blue Bombers Thread Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It's a tough call. Confidence was an issue, and it seemed when Nichols came in everyone felt more comfortable with him. But the reality is Willy is twice quarterback Nichols is. A 'normal' Willy and this team would be untouchable with the way the D has been playing. You can't take Nichols out now that he's won every game, but would have been nice for Willy to get his chance to get back in there and see if the old him was out there.

I hear ya, feel same way, he's a good qb. But I guess they couldn't afford to keep him at that pay. I think I read somewhere bombers asked him to restructure contract, maybe he said no and that was final straw? Pure speculation but anyone hear anything?

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I hear ya, feel same way, he's a good qb. But I guess they couldn't afford to keep him at that pay. I think I read somewhere bombers asked him to restructure contract, maybe he said no and that was final straw? Pure speculation but anyone hear anything?

Damn, I just looked $400k+ this year and next year. I don't mind the trade now that I've seen that. Plus I thought he was locked up for a couple more years. So at best we'd have him next year. We need to find a long term solution. Glenn could probably do well with this offense as well.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Rumours are Toronto is interested in Willy. Be sweet if Winnipeg could trade Willy to Toronto for a 2nd round pick, turn around and take Glenn off Montreal's hand for 6th as insurance the rest of the year. Then in the off-season look for a guy who can be a true #1 (maybe Franklin out of Edmonton) while keeping Nichols as insurance.

Did he call Glenn too? Slick.
I thought they may go after lulay.

Check out the quoted post above yours. :nod:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Why wouldn't Toronto just acquire Glenn for the time being? Is'nt Ray getting paid a ton too?

Ray's contract is quite heavily weighted towards games played. So he won't be making that much. And Toronto likely wants to look at Willy as a long-term option as they will probably be moving on from Ray and his injuries in the off-season.

I know Nichols is the talk of the town right now, but he is proving more and more each week he is not a great QB. Just average game manager. This dominant defense is saving his bacon. In the CFL you need better production out of the QB position to win the grey cup, IMO. He's a good backup, bad everyday starter.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Holden is our new Bomber insider...either that or he is Gary Lawless...:laugh: (sorry Holden...jk)

Love having Kevin Glenn back, good trade

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Unless Willy learns to read defenses and is more confident with his throws he will have the same problem in Toronto. I for one am glad they got what they got for him and will worry next year about our qb situation.

AngelicAssassin*

On the surface it looks like a great return from a couple of trades, I just hope it doesn't end up biting us in the ass.

We are 7-4 but we have nothing locked down yet. In consecutive weeks we squeaked out victories over the worst team in the league when we probably should have brutalized them.

Maybe Glenn is a better option than Willy right now but what if Willy goes to Toronto and starts at some point and turns the Argos season around. At worst we need to finish better than the 3rd place team in the East to get the crossover for the playoffs.

We have Toronto next week and then we get in deep chit with games against the Alberta teams and the Lions and the Ottawa twice.

We conceivably could be looking at 8-10 which might not be good enough. Do we know if we even have a our starting RB for next week?

The picks are nice since we've been in the habit of squandering them and I admit to not knowing much, well really nothing about T.J. Heath.

Maybe Nichols/Glenn can be alternate version of J.J. Barnagel.

Just hope we don't end up in a playoff game where Willy beats us. That would be demoralizing.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Maybe Glenn is a better option than Willy right now but what if Willy goes to Toronto and starts at some point and turns the Argos season around. At worst we need to finish better than the 3rd place team in the East to get the crossover for the playoffs.

Just hope we don't end up in a playoff game where Willy beats us. That would be demoralizing.

Yes that would suck. It's always a risk when you trade a player that he lights it up for another team.

But considering Willy has earned us a total of just 11 wins over three seasons (as a result of injuries and poor play), it's time to try something different. I think we got a nice haul from a desperate team.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I know Nichols is the talk of the town right now, but he is proving more and more each week he is not a great QB. Just average game manager. This dominant defense is saving his bacon. In the CFL you need better production out of the QB position to win the grey cup, IMO. He's a good backup, bad everyday starter.

Agree completely and said the same above. With the old Willy we would be absolutely destroying teams and more than likely in the Grey Cup. The last 3-4 games we should have won them by 20-30 points easily.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Unless Willy learns to read defenses and is more confident with his throws he will have the same problem in Toronto. I for one am glad they got what they got for him and will worry next year about our qb situation.

And learn to audible and recognize a blitz, gain the ability to scramble and run (will never happen) I cant see him being in the CFL much longer!

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I never suggested releasing Nichols. Nichols is proving to be a good backup QB, a below average starter. Much better than I expected in fact. He is winning, but it is merely him managing the game and not losing it while the defense wins us games. That's fine, but it does not make him a long-term option.

Rumours are Toronto is interested in Willy. Be sweet if Winnipeg could trade Willy to Toronto for a 2nd round pick, turn around and take Glenn off Montreal's hand for 6th as insurance the rest of the year. Then in the off-season look for a guy who can be a true #1 (maybe Franklin out of Edmonton) while keeping Nichols as insurance.

:cheers:

Good call!

m.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Trade makes sense from a financial standpoint. Willy apparently due a 100K roster bonus in January, they're not going to drop that kind of money on a QB that they're not sold on as the starter next season.

I do feel bad for Willy, mind you. There's no question in my mind that Nichols has been playing behind the best offensive line we've seen in years. I would have a massive chip on my shoulder if I were in his shoes.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Love bringing back Glenn.
I thought there was a couple of chances to do so over the last few years as we struggled at the QB position.
Is Heath an import?

Like many I worry that the top teams will expose our lack of offense.
Can't keep winning games when we only score 1 TD (etc...)

Medlock is good but he's not that good.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Love bringing back Glenn.
I thought there was a couple of chances to do so over the last few years as we struggled at the QB position.
Is Heath an import?

Like many I worry that the top teams will expose our lack of offense.
Can't keep winning games when we only score 1 TD (etc...)

Medlock is good but he's not that good.

Heath is an international. He has been playing interior DB (HB). Bauming was saying they felt thin there. Which is good news for us that hate Julian Posey, means Bombers also picked up on his terrible play. Likely puts Bruce Johnson's job in jeopardy. Kevin Fogg is the other starting HB and he has been lights out.

Has there been any details about Harris? I don't know if Lochard is starting RB material. They don't have any other RB's on the roster, and anybody they could pick up would be international. So they'd have to start another national somewhere else on the roster. Only way I could see them making a move would be bringing in Neufeld for Hardwick at RT or starting Feoli-Gudino or Addison Richards at receiver while benching Smith/McDuffie/Sheppard.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Could the Bombers pursue LeFevour for next season, or do the Argos have him signed for next season?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Trade makes sense from a financial standpoint. Willy apparently due a 100K roster bonus in January, they're not going to drop that kind of money on a QB that they're not sold on as the starter next season.

I do feel bad for Willy, mind you. There's no question in my mind that Nichols has been playing behind the best offensive line we've seen in years. I would have a massive chip on my shoulder if I were in his shoes.

Were previous O lines really that bad or was Willy that bad, a QB that can't seem to read a defense doesn't do any one any favours especially one that is completely immobile like Willy was.

I'll be surprised if Willy makes it on to the 2017 Argo's roster!

I think had O'Shea had Willy playing so much to cover up for Walters mistake in thinking he was a starting CFL QB especially at an inflated price!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad