2016-17 roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What do you guys think about having Perrault as the 3C next year? It would give the Jets really good centre depth and he could be a good vet to carry a couple of young wingers (Dano, Armia, Petan etc.).

That's assuming the second line is Connor - Little - Stafford

I'm assuming the 2nd line is Perreault - Little - Stafford as a starting point. If Petan stays and/or we draft an NHL ready forward maybe Stafford is gone. Perreault is still on the 2nd line.

Somewhere in the season, maybe early Connor is ready to move up. At that time, if Stafford is gone then Ehlers moves to RW and Perreault is still a top 6 LW. Even if Stafford is still here Ehlers may move back to RW and Staff drop down to 3rd line.

We have several candidates for 3C without MP. Burmi, Petan, Lowry are all potentially good there. There are ifs attached to each. If none is successful there MP becomes the option. I prefer keeping him in the top 6 at LW if possible and only move him to 3C if all else fails.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
"Playing in the NHL right now doesn't guarantee you're playing in the NHL at the start of next year." -Maurice

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We shall see if he follows through on the players who shouldn't be playing lol.

They have done it before. Slater started until he no longer played. Of course his contract expired at that time so it may have been different. Maurice sent his friend Harrison to the A, or maybe Chevy did. They burried Budaj in the A. I think that play, or at least perception of play will determine who makes the roster out of TC.

One thing that seems to be consistent with Maurice is that the players he has are wonderful players until he gets better ones.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
"Playing in the NHL right now doesn't guarantee you're playing in the NHL at the start of next year." -Maurice

I think this applies more to the Armias/Danos/Burmistrovs of the team rather than the Thorburns and Stuarts but hopefully I'm wrong.

The numbers don't lie though. If you have Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Perreault, Stafford, Little, Armia, Dano, Burmistrov, Petan and probably Connor and one of Matthews, Pulju, Laine or Dubois fighting for top 9 spots, there just isn't room for all of them.

Even bumping Lowry and Burmistrov down to the 4th line with Copp/Tanev/Thorburn doesn't leave room for everyone.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think this applies more to the Armias/Danos/Burmistrovs of the team rather than the Thorburns and Stuarts but hopefully I'm wrong.

The numbers don't lie though. If you have Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Perreault, Stafford, Little, Armia, Dano, Burmistrov, Petan and probably Connor and one of Matthews, Pulju, Laine or Dubois fighting for top 9 spots, there just isn't room for all of them.

Even bumping Lowry and Burmistrov down to the 4th line with Copp/Tanev/Thorburn doesn't leave room for everyone.

I just don't see any place for Thor or Peluso except the PB. Would they keep both of them there? The 4th line could be:
Tanev - Lowry - Armia
Without Tanev:
Lowry - Copp - Armia

Thor and Peluso might have to climb over 2 or 3 players to get into the lineup.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
They have done it before. Slater started until he no longer played. Of course his contract expired at that time so it may have been different. Maurice sent his friend Harrison to the A, or maybe Chevy did. They burried Budaj in the A. I think that play, or at least perception of play will determine who makes the roster out of TC.

One thing that seems to be consistent with Maurice is that the players he has are wonderful players until he gets better ones.

I thought it was a very interesting quote. That's why I posted it in this thread. I have no doubt the next training camp will be the most competitive we've ever seen. And I'm looking forward to it :popcorn:

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What do you guys think about having Perrault as the 3C next year? It would give the Jets really good centre depth and he could be a good vet to carry a couple of young wingers (Dano, Armia, Petan etc.).

That's assuming the second line is Connor - Little - Stafford

Connor Little Armia

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
I just don't see any place for Thor or Peluso except the PB. Would they keep both of them there? The 4th line could be:
Tanev - Lowry - Armia
Without Tanev:
Lowry - Copp - Armia

Thor and Peluso might have to climb over 2 or 3 players to get into the lineup.

in my ideal world:

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Stafford
Dano - Perreault - Armia
Lowry - Copp - Burmistrov
Tanev/Petan

Waivers: Thorburn, Peluso

I could live with Thorburn in the press box and Petan down playing big minutes for the Moose if need be...

Will that happen? I highly doubt it, especially given the hard on for Thorburn the org has. Our locker room glue guys are probably gonna cost us for another season.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Thorburn is signed for another year right? What is the probability that he's not on the starting lineup, realistically speaking?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
in my ideal world:

Connor - Little - Stafford
Dano - Perreault - Armia
Lowry - Copp - Burmistrov
Tanev/Petan

Waivers: Thorburn, Peluso

I could live with Thorburn in the press box and Petan down playing big minutes for the Moose if need be...

Will that happen? I highly doubt it, especially given the hard on for Thorburn the org has. Our locker room glue guys are probably gonna cost us for another season.

I like the general direction of that but I will quibble with a few specifics.

I don't want Tanev & Petan sitting in the press box. Especially Petan.

I don't like your 3rd line.

Perreault - Little - Stafford
Connor - Burmi - Dano
Lowry - Copp - Armia
Peluso
Thorburn traded for a xxx

That is assuming that neither Petan nor our first pick can push Chevy into trading Stafford. It is also only until Connor is ready to move up. I won't try to predict when that will be.

Perreault - Scheifele - Wheeler
Petan - Little - Ehlers
Connor - Burmi - Dano
Lowry - Copp - Armia
Peluso

Callups: Lipon, Tanev, Lemieux, Kosmachuk, DeLeo

Defense regardless of movement among forwards:

Trouba - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Morrissey - Postma
Chiarot

Callups: Kostalek, Melchiori, :help:

Helle/Hutch

Pav with the Moose providing experienced callup if necessary. :laugh:

With Lowry/Copp/Armia as our 4th line I think we are in pretty good shape. They can play 10 min/gm plus some PK.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I like the general direction of that but I will quibble with a few specifics.

I don't want Tanev & Petan sitting in the press box. Especially Petan.

I don't like your 3rd line.

Perreault - Little - Stafford
Connor - Burmi - Dano
Lowry - Copp - Armia
Peluso
Thorburn traded for a xxx

That is assuming that neither Petan nor our first pick can push Chevy into trading Stafford. It is also only until Connor is ready to move up. I won't try to predict when that will be.

Perreault - Scheifele - Wheeler
Petan - Little - Ehlers
Connor - Burmi - Dano
Lowry - Copp - Armia
Peluso

Callups: Lipon, Tanev, Lemieux, Kosmachuk, DeLeo

Defense regardless of movement among forwards:

Trouba - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Morrissey - Postma
Chiarot

Callups: Kostalek, Melchiori, :help:

Helle/Hutch

Pav with the Moose providing experienced callup if necessary. :laugh:

With Lowry/Copp/Armia as our 4th line I think we are in pretty good shape. They can play 10 min/gm plus some PK.

Those are 2 duo's I really like. In every potential lineup I have for the bottom 6 I try to keep those intact

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
How does Burmi compare to other 3Cs around the league? My gut tells me that he's not good enough (offensively) for that role on a playoff team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How does Burmi compare to other 3Cs around the league? My gut tells me that he's not good enough (offensively) for that role on a playoff team.

My gut tells me that we don't know yet. He was seriously bad for the first 40-50 games this year but really seems to have turned it around. He is shooting and passing and it has made a night and day difference to his game. I think it has also lead to better D and possession too. He is being creative. He is creating chances for himself and his linemates. Assuming he keeps it up the scoring will come. A little patience is required now. If his production starts to catch up with both his Corsi stats and the eye-ball tests then he will not only be an adequate 3C but a very good one. If he reverts to those first 45 games he will be out of the league in a year or so. I'm betting on him continuing on his current path.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Ken Weibe's article today talks about the Jets forwards going into next season. He lays it out like this:

THE FORWARDS

Who will return: Blake Wheeler, Mark Scheifele, Nikolaj Ehlers, Bryan Little, Drew Stafford, Mathieu Perreault, Adam Lowry

Who is in a battle: Chris Thorburn, Alex Burmistrov, Marko Dano, Joel Armia, Andrew Copp, Brandon Tanev, Nic Petan, Anthony Peluso, JC Lipon

Who are the prospects: Kyle Connor, Brendan Lemieux, Scott Kosmachuk, Chase De Leo, Jack Roslovic, Pavel Kraskovsky, Michael Spacek, Jansen Harkins, Erik Foley, C.J. Franklin

That really puts it into perspective for me. There's only 5 spots available. Even less if you assume that Copp and most likely Thorburn will take up 2 of those. It will be interesting to see what happens. Will they keep most of the players who don't make it on the Moose, or will they make some trades this off season? Clearly there are too many players fighting for a spot (not that that is a bad thing).

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If I could choose right now for September

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Perreault Little Stafford
Connor Burmistrov Dano
Lowry Copp Armia
Thorburn

Trouba Byfuglien
Enstrom Myers
Postma
Chiarot
Stuart

Hellebuyck
Hutchinson

Some lottery luck goes our way, we are looking very good. If it doesn't and we pick 5-8, things look just okay.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ken Weibe's article today talks about the Jets forwards going into next season. He lays it out like this:

THE FORWARDS

Who will return: Blake Wheeler, Mark Scheifele, Nikolaj Ehlers, Bryan Little, Drew Stafford, Mathieu Perreault, Adam Lowry

Who is in a battle: Chris Thorburn, Alex Burmistrov, Marko Dano, Joel Armia, Andrew Copp, Brandon Tanev, Nic Petan, Anthony Peluso, JC Lipon

Who are the prospects: Kyle Connor, Brendan Lemieux, Scott Kosmachuk, Chase De Leo, Jack Roslovic, Pavel Kraskovsky, Michael Spacek, Jansen Harkins, Erik Foley, C.J. Franklin

That really puts it into perspective for me. There's only 5 spots available. Even less if you assume that Copp and most likely Thorburn will take up 2 of those. It will be interesting to see what happens. Will they keep most of the players who don't make it on the Moose, or will they make some trades this off season? Clearly there are too many players fighting for a spot (not that that is a bad thing).

Laying it out that way helps to clarify things a bit.

I would list Lowry as in the battle rather than a lock to return. If Connor signs he almost certainly will start the season with the Jets but as crowded as the battle group is it is possible that he will spend a short time with the Moose. IMO, if he goes back to school he is getting some very bad advice from somewhere. There is no way that can work out to be a good decision.

If I could choose right now for September

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Perreault Little Stafford
Connor Burmistrov Dano
Lowry Copp Armia
Thorburn

Trouba Byfuglien
Enstrom Myers
Postma
Chiarot
Stuart

Hellebuyck
Hutchinson

Some lottery luck goes our way, we are looking very good. If it doesn't and we pick 5-8, things look just okay.

Very close to what I would expect at forward. I would like to see Stafford traded before the season but I really don't expect to.

No Morrissey on D?

I think we do well anywhere up to #9. Top 5 is better of course.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Thorburn is signed for another year right? What is the probability that he's not on the starting lineup, realistically speaking?

10%. Unless Maurice has a massive change of heart in the off-season, there's no way they don't find a spot for him.

IMO, its all on Maurice. What's even worse, is that %ages are similar for Stu and Pavs (90% change they are starters). To win with a lineup that has that many useless pieces is an uphill struggle indeed.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

THE FORWARDS

So barring trades, that's 7 forward are shoe-ins + 3 very likely -- Thorbs (unfortunate but true), Burmi & Copp. Leaves Dano, Armia, Petan, Peluso (hopefully not), Connor & Lemieux as possibles for the other two spots plus the bench- warmer.

If Connor signs, that's 1 more spot taken. Battle between Dano, Armia, Petan & Peluso for the other two IMO.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
So barring trades, that's 7 forward are shoe-ins + 3 very likely -- Thorbs (unfortunate but true), Burmi & Copp. Leaves Dano, Armia, Petan, Peluso (hopefully not), Connor & Lemieux as possibles for the other two spots plus the bench- warmer.

If Connor signs, that's 1 more spot taken. Battle between Dano, Armia, Petan & Peluso for the other two IMO.

Of those I would think it would be a battle between Dano and Armia. There's also Tanev to take into consideration as well. Obviously it's only been one game, but I think he's going to do well.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
10%. Unless Maurice has a massive change of heart in the off-season, there's no way they don't find a spot for him.

IMO, its all on Maurice. What's even worse, is that %ages are similar for Stu and Pavs (90% change they are starters). To win with a lineup that has that many useless pieces is an uphill struggle indeed.

I disagree. 90% Thor is in the PB & Pav is on the bench. Stu should be 95% PB but I'm not so sure on him. I think he must have pictures of Chevy in Vegas wearing nothing but a 10 gallon hat and boots with spurs. :laugh: Maybe Maurice is in the same pictures. No spurs.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I disagree. 90% Thor is in the PB & Pav is on the bench. Stu should be 95% PB but I'm not so sure on him. I think he must have pictures of Chevy in Vegas wearing nothing but a 10 gallon hat and boots with spurs. :laugh: Maybe Maurice is in the same pictures. No spurs.

Mighty optimistic on all I'd say. Thor goes from playing in every single game in 2015-16 to 90% sitting on the bench - not a chance. Pavs will still be the opening night designated starter & play at least 35 games (unless he sucks the joint out and even with that he plays 30). Stu's another guy who they've never had the balls to sit in the PB, so can't see that completely reversing overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad