Line Combos: 2016-17 Roster prediction

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I'm torn on what I think is best for Virtanen. Honestly he should play in the AHL until he starts producing like a top 6 forward. On the other hand this team is so small and devoid of any sort of jam, we need what he can bring.

What we should do is trade Sbisa we have a log jam on defense and he's ontop of the crap pile.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
^ I'm in the minority here but I didn't mind him being in the NHL instead of junior last year and I wouldn't mind him being in the NHL over the AHL this year.

He was already physically ready last year and I think the over-coached, extremely structured NHL system is good for him. I know it was just one short tournament but we saw what he looked like in a less structured, more open junior level at the WJC.

In the NHL you have less time to think and that might be best for him.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
^ I'm in the minority here...

In the NHL you have less time to think and that might be best for him.

At the end, it comes down to how he faces adversity.
When the going gets tough and he loses confidence. Can he rebound?, or does it permanently kill his confidence

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
I wonder how many of those forwards are going to be healthy scratches and become part of a rotating lineup

All of Etem, Granlund, Dorsett, Burrows, Rodin, Virtanen

And you rotate in Gaunce and Zalewski

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Baertschi Horvat Rodin
Burrows Sutter Hansen
Etem Granlund Dorsett
Gaunce
Virtanen (AHL)

Edler Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson
Sbisa Larsen
Tryamkin

Miller
Markstrom

Mostly unsure about bottom defensive pairing. My gut says that they will ease Tryamkin in and let him get his feet under him and learn the ropes, and he'll sub in for Larsen. I think eventually one of those bottom three will be moved out and Biega will fill in 7th spot.

This team will be hurtin' for wins again this season. Hoping we get some entertaining hockey from the Swedes and the young guys all take big steps to make it bearable.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen
Etem-Sutter-Virtanen
Burrows-Gaunce-Dorsett
Granlund, Rodin

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Tryamkin-Larrsson
Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
My hope is:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Baertschi Sutter Virtanen
Rodin Horvat Hansen
Etem Granlund Rendulic
Dorsett

Burrows & Grenier on waivers to AHL

Edler Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson
Tryamkin Larsen
Pedan Subban

Sbisa on waivers to AHL

Miller
Markstrom

PP:
Sedin Sedin Eriksson Larsen Edler
Sutter Sedin Sedin Larsen Edler
Sutter Sedin Sedin Larsen Eriksson
Sedin Sedin Eriksson Larsen Hutton
Virtanen Horvat Eriksson Larsen/Gudbranson Hutton/Edler
Virtanen Horvat Etem Gudbranson Baertschi
Virtanen Horvat Baertschi Subban Hutton
Virtanen Horvat Baertschi Hutton Tryamkin

Utica:
Burrows Chaput D'Aoust(TO)
Moynihan(TO) Megna Maksimovich (TO)
Gaunce Cassels Valk
Laplante Abols Zalewski
Labate

Billen Stecher
Sbisa Nilsson
Cederholm Biega
McEneny
Stewart

ECHL:

Last edited:

The Designer

Dec 22, 2013
Sydney
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Burrows Sutter Hansen
Baertschi Horvat Rodin
Etem Granlund Dorsett

Edler Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson
Tryamkin Larsen

Miller
Markstrom

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Just wait until injuries happen and we can add Smegma and Shotput for depth for the run to the playoffs.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Virtanen Horvat Hansen
Baertschi Sutter Rodin
Burrows Granlund Dorsett
Etem

Hutton Tanev
Edler Gudbranson
Tryamkin Larsen
Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

Last edited:

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Virtanen is a lock on RW in the top 9
Etem Rodin and Burrows will compete for LW ice time on the 3rd and 4th lines, likely Etem sits most of the time as the 13th forward
Gaunce will be first call up because he doesn't need to clear waivers. He'll be with the big club for 99% of the season because someone is always injured.
Gaunce and Granlund will compete for the 4th centre role, but watch out for Zalewski he is the dark horse for that job and may just win it outright.
Pedan and Beiga will compete for the 8th dman spot. Likely Pedan sticks unless he hasn't improved over the summer.

Line-up is set but I wouldn't be surprised if one of Pedan or Sbisa plus one of Etem or Granlund are moved out in a two for one trade that brings that gritty, skilled winger that Benning was hinting at during his interview yesterday. Maybe Pedan and Etem (two cheap contracts with NHL capable players that have some potential but are more b level prospects) for one winger with a four million cap hit from a team that needs cap space. Someone in the 24 to 27 year old age range would be perfect.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Sutter-Virtanen
Etem-Granlund-Dorsett
Rodin

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa-Tryamkin
Larsen

Markstrom
Miller

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Virtanen is a lock on RW in the top 9
Etem Rodin and Burrows will compete for LW ice time on the 3rd and 4th lines, likely Etem sits most of the time as the 13th forward
Gaunce will be first call up because he doesn't need to clear waivers. He'll be with the big club for 99% of the season because someone is always injured.
Gaunce and Granlund will compete for the 4th centre role, but watch out for Zalewski he is the dark horse for that job and may just win it outright.
Pedan and Beiga will compete for the 8th dman spot. Likely Pedan sticks unless he hasn't improved over the summer.

Line-up is set but I wouldn't be surprised if one of Pedan or Sbisa plus one of Etem or Granlund are moved out in a two for one trade that brings that gritty, skilled winger that Benning was hinting at during his interview yesterday. Maybe Pedan and Etem (two cheap contracts with NHL capable players that have some potential but are more b level prospects) for one winger with a four million cap hit from a team that needs cap space. Someone in the 24 to 27 year old age range would be perfect.

I want to think Virtanen is a lock but if he doesn't start out well, it doesn't hurt to send him to the AHL as he's waiver exempt and we have so many waiver eligible players (Rodin, Etem, Pedan, Larsen, Zalewski, Grenier) that we may want to keep during the season.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Not a projection, more like what I would do:
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Bae Bo Virtanen
Hansen Sutter Etem
Dorsett Gaunce Rodin
Burrows Granlund

Hutton Tanev
Edler Gudbranson
Tryamkin Sbisa
Larsen

Markstrom
Miller

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I want to think Virtanen is a lock but if he doesn't start out well, it doesn't hurt to send him to the AHL as he's waiver exempt and we have so many waiver eligible players (Rodin, Etem, Pedan, Larsen, Zalewski, Grenier) that we may want to keep during the season.

I would like management to set up the roster to determine what they have in the younger players. Don't care what the swedes do, cause they aren't really the keys to long term success. Just here for insulation to me.

They have to make a decision on who to protect in expansion between gaunce, Rodin, granlund, Etem. Need to see what they can do.

Swedes, Bo, Sven, and Sutter will be protected.

Pencil in Hansen until he gets traded.

On defence, if Larsen plays well, he could be taken. Either way, most likely to lose a young player.

Either it is gaunce our 2012 first rounder. Rodin the 2009 2nd rounder. Granlund who cost us shink the 2013 first rounder.

But we are protecting 3 swedes aged 36 and 32.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I would like management to set up the roster to determine what they have in the younger players. Don't care what the swedes do, cause they aren't really the keys to long term success. Just here for insulation to me.

They have to make a decision on who to protect in expansion between gaunce, Rodin, granlund, Etem. Need to see what they can do.

On defence, if Larsen plays well, he could be taken. Either way, most likely to lose a young player.

Either it is gaunce our 2012 first rounder. Rodin the 2009 2nd rounder. Granlund who cost us shink the 2013 first rounder.

None of Gaunce Rodin(yet) Granlund or Etem are important to our future so i dont care about losing any of them.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC

No doubt. You hit it right on the spot.

All I want to hear from the Canucks next is that we locked up Bo!!! 5 to 8 years max. Just f**king do it if we're splashing on Sbisa and Dorsett.

We could leave Eriksson since he has no NMC/NTC. I doubt Las Vegas picks Eriksson, right? Come on?... or even Sutter? Just putting it out there.

I'll keep Hansen over Sutter.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

There's no particular reason to think that any of Baertschi, Sutter, Hansen, Rodin, Granlund, Etem, Larsen, Gaunce will be so important that we absolutely must protect them.

The fact that we can actually protect 4 of those players is actually quite the luxury. Baertschi needs to improve over last year before I care too much about losing him. Hansen would hurt for emotional reasons but he's soon to be UFA anyway. Sutter, meh. The others I probably wouldn't even bother to protect if the waiver draft were held today except maybe Gaunce.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Baertschi Horvat Hansen
Etem Sutter Virtanen
Burrows Granlund Rodin
Dorsett

Edler Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson