Line Combos: 2016-17 Roster prediction

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Oh, believe me, I'm aware of how good Lindholm is. Judging by the underlying numbers, he was probably THE best defensive defenceman in the league this season (Tanev not far behind). I still wouldn't trade Horvat + the 5th overall + whatever else for him though. He would also need to be an elite offensive defenceman for me to consider it.

Oh, believe me, I'm aware of how good Lindholm is. Judging by the underlying numbers, he was probably THE best defensive defenceman in the league this season (Tanev not far behind). I still wouldn't trade Horvat + the 5th overall + whatever else for him though.

Fair enough. I just can't get over what our defense would look like with the following set-up:

Edler-Tanev
Lindholm-Gudbranson
Hutton-Sbisa

Hell, if you play Lindholm and Tanev together, that would arguably be one of the best defensive pairings in the entire league.

I compare such a deal to trading 4 green houses for 1 red hotel, but I could be wrong.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Brouwer or Eriksson
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Higgins - Granlund - Dorsett
Etem

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Sbisa - Tryamkin
Pedan - Larsen
Biega
(Canucks will need to make a decision on one of their depth D-men in training camp. I'm guessing it's Biega who gets sent down).

Miller
Markstrom

I never even thought about playing Brower with the Sedins, that would be a great fit IMO. His game is actually pretty tailored for them, used his size in front of the net and has pretty good finish.

With the D I think they have to move Sbisa at all costs, he's a waste of a spot and cap.

Personally I think our D is quite underrated and people will be surprised as long as they stay healthy and get rid of Sbisa.

Last thought, I would like to see Virtanen in the A to start the year. The spots where you have him , Higgins and Burrows in your lineup will be completely up for grabs IMO , whoever looks best at training camp will get those spots because Burrows and Higgins could be gone.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Lindholm-Tanev would be something else. An impenetrable D pair.

I still need more than just Lindholm for two massive pieces of our future (Horvat + 5th overall). It's not me commenting on the value, it's that the Canucks can't afford it right now.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Lindholm-Tanev would be something else. An impenetrable D pair.

I still need more than just Lindholm for two massive pieces of our future (Horvat + 5th overall). It's not me commenting on the value, it's that the Canucks can't afford it right now.

Yeah, fair enough. I think most people would agree with that sentiment, and even I would be inclined to side with it. It's two differing philosophies basically (for a rebuilding-re-tooling team). One train of thought is focusing on prospect accumulation/quantity. Throw enough poop against the wall and some of it sticks.

The other train of thought is the 'red hotel' approach. Accumulate prospects, and then trade said prospects for an 'alpha' prospect that can potentially shape a franchise for year's to come. The risk in doing this of course, is that one of the 'green houses' you give up could very well turn into a red hotel itself.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sedin Sedin Erikson
Lucic Sutter Hansen
Baertchi Horvat Rodine
Etem Gaunce Virtanen
Granglund Dorset as extras

Edler Tan Man
Hutton Gubranson (not my choice but is what Benning is saying)
Sbisa Tram Man
Biega

Mills
Marky

ArtursSilovsShirt

King Arturs 👑
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Sedin - Sedin - Brouwer
Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Etem - Granlund - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Sbisa - Tryamkin
Pedan - Larsen

Markstrom
Miller

This is what I'd like to see.

- Virtanen should go to the AHL and dominate for a bit, be our #1 call up option (at least for a scoring role).
- Brouwer is the only slightly big move, as I see this year as the last stop gap year before major changes next year, like Boeser/Virtanen/5th OA/Demko becoming full time NHLers.
- Would like to see them deal Hansen/Burrows/Miller and others for futures at this coming deadline.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Realistically, given JB and Desjardins...:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Baertschi Sutter Hansen
Dorsett Horvat Rodin
Burrows Granlund Virtanen
Etem

Edler Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson
Sbisa Tryamkin
Larsen

Gaunce traded. Burrows not bought out. No Hamhuis. Horvat stuck with Dorsett and not playing with Baertschi. Virtanen not in the AHL. Pedan lost to waiver wire. Sutter getting prime 2nd line time

Last edited:

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
(next 2 lines in no particular order)
Baertschi Sutter Rodin
Virtanen Horvat Hansen
Some combo of Gaunce, Granlund, Etem, and Dorsett

Edler Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson
Tryamkin Larsen
Pedan, Sbisa

Markstrom/Miller split

Would like to see Hamhuis signed and playing with Larsen or Tryamkin on the third pairing, but that's how I see it right now.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I've really warmed up to having Juolevi

Lidström didn't have much "upside" either. Not sure why so many are almost obsessed with players having one stand-out feature to their game.

Happy we drafted a D and not a winger. Also happy to see that most seem to think that his biggest strength is his hockey IQ.

I'll be honest.

Given how much I studied PLD and Son of Keith over these past few months, I started to develop an emotional connection to them........and so you can only imagine my disappointment/mixed reaction when we drafted Olli Juolevi.

However - I will admit that I've really come around to the pick, and am now glad that we have Juolevi in the fold. The kid looks like a stud, and although he likely wasn't projecting as a true #1 many months ago (when I started doing my due diligence on PLD and MT), Juolevi's performances at the World's and Memorial Cup were extremely impressive. Juolevi was THE guy in both instances, and logged big minutes. I actually think he can be a true #1 now, and that at worst, he'll be an Edler/Ohlund (i.e. still a top pairing guy even if he's not quite franchise level).

Brent Sutter even went on record stating that it was impossible to forecheck this guy.

With Juolevi, Demko, Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen, Hutton, Baertschi, Tanev and Gudbranson in the mix, I think the Canucks only real need now for their "next core", is in having a Franchise Center.

Canucks' Future Core:

-Top goalie = Demko
-#1 defenseman = Juolevi
-Top-Tier defensive pairing = Juolevi-Tanev
-1st line Scoring Winger = Boeser
-Good 2nd line center = Horvat
-Shut down center = Sutter or Cole Cassels
-Complementary pieces = Virtanen, Baertschi, Hutton, Gudbranson.
-One of the following pans out: Tryamkin, Stretcher, Rodin, Etem, Granlund (lol), YPL (#14 - that young Burrows or whatever).

All the Canucks need now is a young franchise center in my opinion. Once we have that, I think our team will project very well for the future.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I'll be honest.

Given how much I studied PLD and Son of Keith over these past few months, I started to develop an emotional connection to them........and so you can only imagine my disappointment/mixed reaction when we drafted Olli Juolevi.

However - I will admit that I've really come around to the pick, and am now glad that we have Juolevi in the fold. The kid looks like a stud, and although he likely wasn't projecting as a true #1 many months ago (when I started doing my due diligence on PLD and MT), Juolevi's performances at the World's and Memorial Cup were extremely impressive. Juolevi was THE guy in both instances, and logged big minutes. I actually think he can be a true #1 now, and that at worst, he'll be an Edler/Ohlund (i.e. still a top pairing guy even if he's not quite franchise level).

Brent Sutter even went on record stating that it was impossible to forecheck this guy.

With Juolevi, Demko, Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen, Hutton, Baertschi, Tanev and Gudbranson in the mix, I think the Canucks only real need now for their "next core", is in having a Franchise Center.

Canucks' Future Core:

-Top goalie = Demko
-#1 defenseman = Juolevi
-Top-Tier defensive pairing = Juolevi-Tanev
-1st line Scoring Winger = Boeser
-Good 2nd line center = Horvat
-Shut down center = Sutter or Cole Cassels
-Complementary pieces = Virtanen, Baertschi, Hutton, Gudbranson.
-One of the following pans out: Tryamkin, Stretcher, Rodin, Etem, Granlund (lol), YPL (#14 - that young Burrows or whatever).

All the Canucks need now is a young franchise center in my opinion. Once we have that, I think our team will project very well for the future.

enter ryan jojo

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
We already have our top centers imho

Bo Horvat = Patrice Bergeron
Dmitri Zhukenov = David Krejci

I could see Horvat getting to the level of a Mike Richards pre 2013/Ryan Kesler, but Bergeron might be a stretch. Still - I think Horvat *will* be a very good 2nd line center.

As for Zhukenov, I think that's a hell of a stretch to label him as the next Krejci. Anything can happen obviously, but do you really think he'll become THAT good?! I'm not so sure.

As far as Top centers go, I want a true 'alpha.' A true Henrik Sedin replacement. A guy on the level of a Henrik Sedin, Ryan Getzlaf, Anze Kopitar, Joe Thornton, etc.

That's where I think an RFA offer sheet to Nathan MacKinnon would come in. 5 years @ 7 million per. Not sure if Colorado would be willing to match that, and all we'd give up is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. MacKinnon should be worth that much in the final 3 years of such a contract.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
On a contender, 60pts centre is your 2C.

So if Horvat is hitting 60pts and is our #1 centre, Vancouver probably aren't contending for a Cup. Playoffs maybe.

But he would be a fantastic 2C! If he could replicate prime Kesler (a 2C) then that would be amazing! :handclap:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Nikita Kucherov as an RFA troll job

As a few posters have stated on here, Colorado would likely match any RFA offer thrown towards Nathan MacKinnon......possibly even a 5 year/35 million dollar offer.

However - as undesirable as Colorado's cap situation is, it's not nearly as bad as Tampa's.

Something will have to give down there.

Could a guy like Kucherov be successfully pryed away? Yzerman wants to hold onto Stamkos, while guys like Hedman, etc., etc. will all need reknewed contracts within the next year or so.

Kucherov with the twins could be deadly. Or even Kucherov with a lower key center like Granlund, and a solid winger like Burrows could be something.

Sedin-Sedin-Kucherov
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Dorsett-Granlund-Etem

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
why does zhukenov get so underrated on these boards

Lol.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if that poster was being serious or not with the Zhukenov/Krejici comparison. I've heard Zhukenov be compared to Brad Marchand before, but I don't know the guy too well. Hopefully, he pans out.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Future Canucks core and their 2009-2012 Canuck equivalents?

Kesler = Horvat
Raymond = Baertschi
Hansen/Torres = Virtanen
Bieksa = Gudbranson
Erhoff = Hutton
Samuelson on steroids = Boeser
Schneider = Demko
Edler/Ohlund = Juolevi
Tanev = Tanev :D
Malhottra = Sutter (I know this comparison will piss off posters on here, but there are areas of the game that Sutter is superior to Malhottra at).

So all we really need is a guy that can shoot from the point, and a franchise center. Easy enough. :-p

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
On a contender, 60pts centre is your 2C.

So if Horvat is hitting 60pts and is our #1 centre, Vancouver probably aren't contending for a Cup. Playoffs maybe.

But he would be a fantastic 2C! If he could replicate prime Kesler (a 2C) then that would be amazing! :handclap:

How does Chicago contend without a 1C since Toews only scored 60pts?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Baertschi-Stamkos-Sutter
Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Burrows-Horvat-Virtanen
Dorsett-Granlund-Etem

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa-Tryamkin

Miller