Line Combos: 2016-17 Roster prediction

HarvP19

Nov 19, 2014
This is my realistic roster prediction.
There is is some room for player swaps for players in the farm(and depending how training camp goes). I think virtanen and mccann will be up and down in the ahl so they can develop. Edler will be traded to detroit. I dont like sbisa or vey, but Benning will keep them because they are bennings boys. Canucks big fish grab will be Loui Eriksson. Rodin will sign a 1 year contract. I think Larsen wont make the cut.

This is how i think the roster will look oct 1st

Full details: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/81363

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (14)
Rightwing: L. Eriksson ($6,000,000) - J. Hansen ($2,500,000) - A. Rodin ($1,000,000) - D. Dorsett ($2,650,000) - A. Grenier ($750,000)
Centre: H. Sedin ($7,000,000) - B. Horvat ($894,167) - B. Sutter ($4,375,000) - L. Vey ($1,050,000) - M. Granlund ($850,000)
Leftwing: D. Sedin ($7,000,000) - S. Baertschi ($1,000,000) - A. Burrows ($4,500,000) - E. Etem ($950,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: C. Tanev ($4,450,000) - N. Tryamkin ($925,000) - A. Biega ($750,000)
Left: B. Hutton ($896,250) - D. Hamhuis ($3,750,000) - L. Sbisa ($3,600,000) - A. Pedan ($800,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
R. Miller ($6,000,000) - J. Markstrom ($1,550,000)

BUYOUTS
C. Higgins ($833,333) - K. Ballard ($0)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $71,400,000
Cap Hit: $64,873,750
Cap Space: $6,526,250

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
I believe Benning will move Burrows and Higgins for anything he can get. He's brought in too many forwards (Granlund, Sutter, Dorsett, with Rodin waiting in the wings) and by keeping Virtanen and McCann for the entire 2015-2016 season, there's no way he can justify sending them to Utica to start next season.

Twins Hansen
Bae Horvat Virtanen
Rodin Granlund Sutter
Etem McCann Dorsett
Vey or Grenier

Edler Tanev
Sbisa Hutton
Pedan Larsen
Biega

Miller
Markstrom

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Daniel Sutter Hansen
Henrik Vey Etem
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Guance Granlund Dorsett

This is my personal model. I think it puts the Sedins in a position to succeed. Defense and goaltending look promising and need less scrutiny.

HarvP19

Nov 19, 2014
well he is one of "Bennings boys" so i wont be surprised, Eriksson seems more practical IMO.

GreetingsFromCanada

Mar 19, 2016
BC
Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Baer-Sutter-Puljujärvi
Rodin-Horvat-Virtanen
Etem-Granlund-Dorsett

Tanev-Edler
Hutton-Tryamkin
Larsen-Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Lucic - Horvat - Sutter
Baertschi - Matthews - Virtanen
Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett

There's no way McCann will be on the team next year. He is headed to Utica for a year or two until Henrik is gone and he can takeover the #3 centre spot. He might be called up if injuries occur.

As far as Burrows goes, I know people are counting him out, and saying a buyout will happen, but it will only happen if we need the cap space. If we don't need the cap space (which we won't, because we're going to win Auston Matthews :)) then Burrows stays as a 4th liner and we have a very experienced tough 4th line to play against.

As for defense, it's pretty fixed. No way Hamhuis is back, he is gone. Edler isn't going anywhere. He is the last Swede on this team, is signed long term and is best friends with Henrik and Daniel. He's here until they are gone. Plus he has been playing good. Why trade away a top d-man. I see the 7 guys as:

Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Sbisa, Tryamkin, Biega, Pedan. The 8th guy in line is Subban, and we may very well see him next year.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Baer-Sutter-Puljujärvi
Rodin-Horvat-Virtanen
Etem-Granlund-Dorsett

Tanev-Edler
Hutton-Tryamkin
Larsen-Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

Not realistic because "BIG BOY" Jim Benning has told us he plans to be very active in the free agency market (be scared). Your line-up has zero free agent signings. So pick at least one person to remove and slot in a free agent. HINT: Milan Lucic. Remove $7 million in cap space for 7 years accordingly.

GreetingsFromCanada

Mar 19, 2016
BC
Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Lucic - Horvat - Sutter
Baertschi - Matthews - Virtanen
Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett

There's no way McCann will be on the team next year. He is headed to Utica for a year or two until Henrik is gone and he can takeover the #3 centre spot. He might be called up if injuries occur.

As far as Burrows goes, I know people are counting him out, and saying a buyout will happen, but it will only happen if we need the cap space. If we don't need the cap space (which we won't, because we're going to win Auston Matthews :)) then Burrows stays as a 4th liner and we have a very experienced tough 4th line to play against.

As for defense, it's pretty fixed. No way Hamhuis is back, he is gone. Edler isn't going anywhere. He is the last Swede on this team, is signed long term and is best friends with Henrik and Daniel. He's here until they are gone. Plus he has been playing good. Why trade away a top d-man. I see the 7 guys as:

Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Sbisa, Tryamkin, Biega, Pedan. The 8th guy in line is Subban, and we may very well see him next year.

If we get Matthews I'm inclined to believe he would instantly be ahead of Horvat

GreetingsFromCanada

Mar 19, 2016
BC
If Jim Benning even thinks about signing Lucic or Eriksson, he needs to fired, tared, feathered and sent his way out of town on a horse. We have Horvat, Hutton, Baertschi and real defencemen to sign. This team can't afford signing declining players to long deals. That's just stupid.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
This is what's going to happen.

Canucks will have the 6th overall pick. Somehow Dubois or Chychurn falls and everyone is giddy only for the canucks to take Jake Bean creating instant rage on this board.

Canucks will trade the 36th overall pick for a young dman that is too good for the AHL but not good enough to be an NHLer and will require waivers next season (Ryan Murphy). Meanwhile Sami Vatanen will go for a rather cheap price to Edmonton or Toronto.

Canucks will then deal Hansen for a 3rd round pick in an effort to recoup picks they foolishly gave away during the season. Benning will come up with some stupid excuse why they only got a 3rd and how the player they drafted with the pick is going to be "real good".

Then the real fun begins...

Canucks sign Lucic and Eriksson to matching 6 yr deals for 6 million.
Canucks then sign Darren Helm because that's what Willie wants.

I'd carry on but this is getting too depressing.

GreetingsFromCanada

Mar 19, 2016
BC
This is what's going to happen.

Canucks will have the 6th overall pick. Somehow Dubois or Chychurn falls and everyone is giddy only for the canucks to take Jake Bean creating instant rage on this board.

Canucks will trade the 36th overall pick for a young dman that is too good for the AHL but not good enough to be an NHLer and will require waivers next season (Ryan Murphy). Meanwhile Sami Vatanen will go for a rather cheap price to Edmonton or Toronto.

Canucks will then deal Hansen for a 3rd round pick in an effort to recoup picks they foolishly gave away during the season. Benning will come up with some stupid excuse why they only got a 3rd and how the player they drafted with the pick is going to be "real good".

Then the real fun begins...

Canucks sign Lucic and Eriksson to matching 6 yr deals for 6 million.
Canucks then sign Darren Helm because that's what Willie wants.

I'd carry on but this is getting too depressing.

I use the profile pick I use because that's the face I made when we drafted Horvat over Domi, Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander and when we signed Sbisa. I fully expect to make that face multiple times this offseason

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I expect the NHLPA to vote on just a partial cap escalator... It's getting to the point where it's in the best interests of all the presently contracted players to sacrifice a handful of PA jobs to curtail the amount of escrow they are eating...

I don't think Eriksson comes to our team considering the rebuild status....

The improvement of the team will come next season on an improvement of health and development... VERY excited to see Virtanen after another summer and camp under his belt.

The glut of depth forwards logically pushes McCann down to the A - but that depends on how another summer of development effects his camp.. I expect him to take a significant jump in strength and confidence... but numbers could push him down for opening day.... if players are brought in like i expect.

There will be trades this summer... I expect one of Burrows or Hansen to be moved. There could be a surprise trade or minor ones of lateral movement of pieces like Vey, Etem...
I expect Higgins to be bought out barring interest over the summer of a team spiking and willing to take on the 1 yr left - unlikely if the cap remains flat.

Obviously I don't expect Hamhuis or Vrbata, Prust back.. or Bartkowski, Weber or even Kenins...... sooo..... something like...

Sedin - Sedin - Rodin
Baertschi - Horvat- Virtanen
Gaunce - Sutter - X
Dorsett - Granlund - Etem
X

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Tryamkin
Sbisa - Larsen
Pedan
(Biega on a 1 way increases his likelihood of clearing out of camp)

Miller - Markstrom

I think a turnover of 3 forwards would be a pretty significant accomplishment...

Its a further shedding of veteran depth necessary that will cost us points if injuries pile up... But a necessary evil to get the youth the experience they can soak up while the lineup is healthy and winning.

Can't wait to see what happens on April 30th (lottery).. and June 24th...

Those 2 dates will ultimately shape the roster next season...
We have cap flexibility... can Benning be the guy to take advantage of the cap strapped teams or the ones looking to move this yr's version of Saad and Hamilton?
That's what this last year's transactions have set himself up to be....

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
D.Sedin-H.Sedin-**Loui Eriksson**
**Milan Lucic**-Bo Horvat-Jannik Hansen
Sven Baertschi-Markus Granlund-Brandon Sutter
Anton Rodin/Derek Dorsett-Jared McCann-Jake Virtanen

Alex Edler-Chris Tanev
Ben Hutton-Nikita Tryamkin
Luca Sbisa-Alex Biega
Andrey Pedan-Philip Larsen

Jacob Markstrom
Ryan Miller

I think Alex Burrows & Chris Higgins get bought out, Linden Vey & Emerson Etem's rights get renounced, and none of the UFA's get re-signed. Also think the Canucks go after Lucic & Eriksson, and likely draft a winger in the 1st round that'll be on a line w/ McCann & Virtanen.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is it just me or has Sbisa's play improved lately?

Sorry, but I think it might be you....guy was back to being a turnover machine, before mercifully going down with a season-ending injury...Hutton still hasn't recovered after playing a few games with him.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
If I had my way?

Let's assume we get the 3rd overall pick.

Sedin-Sedin-Puljujarvi
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Rodin-McCann-Boeser
Burrows-Sutter-Grenier

Hutton-Tanev
Hamhuis-Tryamkin
Pedan-Larsen

Miller/Markstrom

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Lucic Matthews Virtanen
Sedin Sedin Boeser
Baertchi Horvat Hansen
Dorset Gaunce Grenier

Edler Tanev
Hutton Tryamkin
Sbisa Pedan

Marky
Millsy

Mccann needs a year back in Utica and i think thell give Boeser a real good shot in the bigs PLUS sign Looooch and then with 1st overall select Matthews and not Lainer

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
If I had my way?

Let's assume we get the 3rd overall pick.

Sedin-Sedin-Puljujarvi
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Rodin-McCann-Boeser
Burrows-Sutter-Grenier

Hutton-Tanev
Hamhuis-Tryamkin
Pedan-Larsen

Miller/Markstrom

Boeser isn't leaving after his freshman year. And I wouldn't put it past the Canucks to give McCann a year in the AHL (IMO they should've sent him back down).

Etem and Granlund will be on the team unless they get traded.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Sedin - Sedin - Laine/Puljujarvi
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Rodin - Sutter - Brouwer
Dorsett - Granlund - Etem
Vey

(McCann in AHL)

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Demers
Sbisa - Tryamkin
Pedan, Larsen/Biega*

*One of Larsen/Biega get put on waivers

Markstrom
Miller

If we get Laine/Puljujarvi I can see Benning go for a smaller UFA forward target. Brouwer seems like a guy he would like. If the Canucks get someone else in the draft I could see Brouwer change to Lucic/Eriksson.

I also definitely think were gonna pick up a UFA defenceman. Whether its Demers or someone else. And sadly Hamhuis is probably gonna walk...

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Gonna assume reports about burrows being bought out and benning's interest in eriksson are accurate. Also that we draft chychrun at 4, that we don't resign hamhuis, and that mccann starts in the A or is traded for god knows what.

sedin sedin eriksson
baertschi horvat virtanen
rodin sutter hansen
etem granlund dorsett
garbage

edler tanev
hutton tryamkin
sbisa/pedan larsen/biega

miller/markstrom

Trying to think like Jim and friends on this one, hope I win best prediction.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Hansen, Sbisa and their second round pick traded for Hamonic at the draft.
Eriksson signs, Hammer resigns
Higgins, Burrows, Biega waived, clear and give good depth for recalls
BB Gun signs but starts year in AHL along with Rocket Racoon
Vey not resigned

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Bearcheese Ox Puljujärvi
Rodin Sutter DarkLord
Gaunce Granlund Dorsett
Etem

Tanev Edler
Hamonic Hutton
Groot Hamhuis
Larsen Pedan

Markstrom
Miller

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
No point in predicting a roster for next year. This management will do the unthinkable (or predictable) and make several more bone-headed trades and signings. I shudder to think what the roster will be like in 2016-17.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Is it just me or has Sbisa's play improved lately?

He's a coin toss machine. Heads he's good, tails he's bad. Some times you get a bunch of heads and he's the "new and improved" Sbisa and then the lucky streak ends and he's just back to being uggghh Sbisa, other times its tails tails tails Pizza machine sbisa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad