Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Defense you need to go with...

Rielly-Zaitsev = Zaitsev is getting screwed being with Hunwick
Gardiner-Carrick
Marincin-Corrado

Rielly just played amazing hockey at the WC and WCOH on his left side. Don't change it.

Waive 1 of Polak or Hunwick.

That makes sense to me, and nobody would claim Pollack at 2 million, so, he'd be available if needed, and there's not re-entry waivers anymore.

Though, I wouldn't think any team could be interested in Hunwick, but, on the other hand, it looks like that guy that played 1st pairing with Phaneuf has surfaced in Ottawa and found a job in the show - ummm, the long hair, oh, Mike Kostka!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That makes sense to me, and nobody would claim Pollack at 2 million, so, he'd be available if needed, and there's not re-entry waivers anymore.

Though, I wouldn't think any team could be interested in Hunwick, but, on the other hand, it looks like that guy that played 1st pairing with Phaneuf has surfaced in Ottawa and found a job in the show - ummm, the long hair, oh, Mike Kostka!

Yeah, Kostka was with their organisation last year mostly in a AHL role.

In terms of Polak and Hunwick, no point in having veteran defenseman if they are just liabilities.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't know - but, it seems like waivers would start fresh at the beginning of each season and wouldn't go by calendar years - I could be wrong!

You are not wrong. The waiver period is refreshed with the start of every hockey season and is frozen during the off season.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Defense you need to go with...

Rielly-Zaitsev = Zaitsev is getting screwed being with Hunwick
Gardiner-Carrick
Marincin-Corrado

Rielly just played amazing hockey at the WC and WCOH on his left side. Don't change it.

Waive 1 of Polak or Hunwick.

100% agreed. This is the D corps I would have as well. Hunwick has had an absolutely terrible camp and Polak is as slow as molasses.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Theres no such thing as sneaking someome thru waivers. Theres 29 teams that have staff to monitor that ****. If Leivo, corrado and carrick go on waivers - all gone. That would be horrible asset mgmt and we should lose our collective minds over it. I don't see them cutting a vet like Polak who they brought in to exemplify work ethic. Why cut the guy that works the hardest? Backward messaging. Babs has said he wants Hunwick as a teacher on D so he likely stays on the roster so the most likely trade bait is Corrado/Leivo/Holland. If they waive any of them it'll be a tragedy.

They have to trade someone. We have at least 1 too many players and 2 depending on if you want 13/8 or 14/7.

Cuts:
Sosh (Injured)
Soup
Prust
Brown (TDL/Injury callup)
Leipsic (TDL/Injury callup)
Froese (least likely to be claimed)

Greening Kadri Komarov
JVR Bozak Marner
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Martin Laich Holland
Michalek/Leivo

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Carrick
Hunwick Corrado
Polak Marincin

Andersen
Enroth

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
I don't think management would sign Polak just to waive him. I think the team will carry 8 defensemen until Soshnikov is ready to be called up, and then one of Hunwick or Corrado is getting waived.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I hate generalization but you also missed this gem.

"Radulov is arguably the 2nd best Russian player in the world." :laugh:

Yeah that too.

Every October it happens.

Then by December they all retreat to their own board wondering what happened

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Theres no such thing as sneaking someome thru waivers. Theres 29 teams that have staff to monitor that ****. If Leivo, corrado and carrick go on waivers - all gone. That would be horrible asset mgmt and we should lose our collective minds over it. I don't see them cutting a vet like Polak who they brought in to exemplify work ethic. Why cut the guy that works the hardest? Backward messaging. Babs has said he wants Hunwick as a teacher on D so he likely stays on the roster so the most likely trade bait is Corrado/Leivo/Holland. If they waive any of them it'll be a tragedy.

They have to trade someone. We have at least 1 too many players and 2 depending on if you want 13/8 or 14/7.

Cuts:
Sosh (Injured)
Soup
Prust
Brown (TDL/Injury callup)
Leipsic (TDL/Injury callup)
Froese (least likely to be claimed)

Greening Kadri Komarov
JVR Bozak Marner
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Martin Laich Holland
Michalek/Leivo

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Carrick
Hunwick Corrado
Polak Marincin

Andersen
Enroth

Hunwick is a teacher on D? LOL. Maybe he should learn how to play D himself before becoming a teacher?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So, 8 dmen, 2 in the press box every game, that seems a bit much, no?

It's what Babcock usually does.

Last year it was;

Phaneuf
Rielly
Gardiner
Hunwick
Polak
Corrado
Marincin
Harrington

out of camp. Harrington went down which changed it up

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Yeah, Kostka was with their organisation last year mostly in a AHL role.

In terms of Polak and Hunwick, no point in having veteran defenseman if they are just liabilities.

I said it somewhere a while back. Eventually, someone - Dubas, or Shanny, or an assistant is going to get through to Babcock and make him see his bias towards Hunwick, that he's just not that good.

Or, maybe as some have alluded to, he's actually used Hunwick (because he's bad) as a teaching tool for players like Rielly (a challenge to overcome). But, if he was using him for that purpose it was seem almost cruel and I can't see Babcock being that way - but, hmmm!

Though, I have heard on a radio show, or read it somewhere (i don't have a source though) that when Babcock makes up his mind on a player, he can be stubborn to see it another way.

Last edited:

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
You're quoting a poster who has Greening on the top line. Just sayin'.

He won't be there when we win the cup but he had a hell of a run with Willy last spring. Who else goes there from the left side? Leivo? Sure I'm down for that. JVR? His line with bozak and marner was unreal and he's always lacked when played with Kadri. Greening has pump and trade written all over him.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
It's what Babcock usually does.

Last year it was;

Phaneuf
Rielly
Gardiner
Hunwick
Polak
Corrado
Marincin
Harrington

out of camp. Harrington went down which changed it up

Okay, my bad then. I'm not against having 8 and sitting 2 at a time if it means exposing 1 less player to being waived.

I was paying attention last year, but, never realized 2 dmen in the press box at the start of the year. ACtually, I probably did know it then, but, I'm old and my memories shot - nah, just making up an excuse.

Last edited:

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
i don't think he meant on the ice.

This. He specifically said Hunny knows the systems best so he's going to teach the kids. An extra bench boss if you want. Maybe he's the one who gets sent down to the Marlies to work with the younger D? Carrick has made the team and Corrado will be lost if they waive him.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
i don't think he meant on the ice.

That response was in reply to the reporter asking who Zaitsev was going to be paired with. Babs responded that Hunwick is the best teacher he has, so Zaitsev will be paired with him.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I don't think management would sign Polak just to waive him. I think the team will carry 8 defensemen until Soshnikov is ready to be called up, and then one of Hunwick or Corrado is getting waived.

I understand your thinking about signing Polak, only to have him waived. But, why would you sign him for 2 million. NO TEAM (jmho) would give him 2 m per season that I can think of. I think it was a gesture for being a soldier and being a leader and a stand up guy (Babcock loves character) AND, hey, he'll make the same salary in the minors and get to play another year and if there's a need, he can be called up.

But, on the other hand, if they keep 8 dmen for a lot of the season, then, he won't need to be waived. My concern is that we are now a good enough (or at least significantly better on D) that he really isn't good enough even as a 7 or 8 man or a call-up hardly.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
That response was in reply to the reporter asking who Zaitsev was going to be paired with. Babs responded that Hunwick is the best teacher he has, so Zaitsev will be paired with him.

oh.
poor Zaitsev.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
My concern is not over who is waived or claimed, it's players we will keep over players that should be kept but Babcock seems to have a need to retain people that he views as a veteran presence and he thinks he can rely on but definitely they have been pretty bad in the preseason and last year to some extent.

Teams need veterans especially on D but good veterans, not marginal ones.

This year is shaping up to be another high draft choice year and so I would put on waivers some older players that could be sent down to the Minors and be on hand for recall if someone got injured and if they were claimed, then the contract would go with him.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
I can already smell people in here wanting to waive Komarov next season because he'll be "old".

We. Are. Not. The. Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad