2016-17 Official Toronto Maple Leafs Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Alright Folks!

The Annual London Rookie Tournament has been completed, [3-0 Record... Atta Be Baby Leafs!] And over the next 3 days the Maple Leafs players and rookies will be arriving in Toronto, before the team heads to Halifax on the 22nd, and the fun starts on Friday, September 23rd.

The Leafs have invited 3 players thus far to training camp;
Raman, Hrabarenka - D - 23 Years Old
Brandon Prust - RW - 32 Years Old
Jeff Glass - G - 30 years Old

CtH6HHhVIAANRFe.jpg:large

Toronto Maple Leafs 2016-17 Pre-Season Schedule

preseason.jpg

Last edited:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I always find training camp to be one of the most interesting events of the season.

Always fun seeing everyone on even ground, and then come the cuts! Gonna be a bit different this year, since a lot of the guys are at the World Cup. But I still expect a lot of cuts early, get down to the players who really have a chance.

Then pre-season should be awesome. I'm a bit surprised that we don't have a split-squad day this pre-season. We actually have the depth to put 2 teams with 10-12 forwards together, all with NHL hopes.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Will the Leafs be sending any players back following the rookie tournament? or will they all go to main camp?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Will the Leafs be sending any players back following the rookie tournament? or will they all go to main camp?

I expect some of the players from the rookie tournament be cut or sent back to junior.

There were some invitees as well and they might not move on to the main camp.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Only one home game during pre-season. Normally more than that.
Should be interesting how things play out this year. Big questions at camp this year will be, what happens to Marner, what happens with existing veteran players (Lupul in particular) and what happens with some of the youngsters who played very well when called up last year (Brown, Soshnikov, Hyman)
I'm expecting a very competitive camp with a lot of uncertainties coming in.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Only one home game during pre-season. Normally more than that.
Should be interesting how things play out this year. Big questions at camp this year will be, what happens to Marner, what happens with existing veteran players (Lupul in particular) and what happens with some of the youngsters who played very well when called up last year (Brown, Soshnikov, Hyman)
I'm expecting a very competitive camp with a lot of uncertainties coming in.

Thankfully the World Cup squashed the home games. :handclap:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thankfully?

Because they won't feel pressured to play home crowd favourites and can instead give more time to young guns and players fighting for a spot?
Only pro I can see...

Don't have to waste money on tickets.

Mad Brills*

I believe medicals are on thursday before they fly out on friday.

So horton will be there to fail his physical, and I'd imagine lupul will show up.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Lupul is one of the most intriguing stories going into camp.

Management seems to not even be planning with him in our lineup, and Lupul hasn't spoken in like, months

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Lupul is one of the most intriguing stories going into camp.

Management seems to not even be planning with him in our lineup, and Lupul hasn't spoken in like, months

I am now of the belief that Joffrey Lupul no longer exists.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Bob McKenzie's roster preview for us this year

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/training-camp-preview-maple-leafs-looking-to-turn-the-corner~954381

He listed 3 centers as locks, Kadri, Bozak, Matthews, and the final spot as either Laich or Holland. 3 wingers as locks, JVR, Komarov, and Martin, and 4 wingers as vitual locks, the only way they don't make it is if they play themselves off the team. Nylander, Soshnikov, Hyman, and Marner. In Marner's case just to start the season. Him being here long term is still not a lock.

So he said there's 2 winger spots up for grabs between a bunch of guys. Michalek, Greening, Laich/Holland, Leivo, Brown, Lupul(if he's even here competing for a spot), Leipsic, Rychel, and long shots Lindberg or Kapanen who would have to knock the coach's "babsocks" off.

Defense is much clearer, he lists 6 locks. Rielly, Gardiner, Hunwick, Zaitsev, Polak, and Marincin with Carrick and Corrado competing for the last spot.

Goalies obviously Andersen, and Enroth

My thoughts: That's a 22 man roster, so you can squeeze 1 more forward or defenseman, and I feel like that will depend on how Corrado plays as I have Carrick in. I was really surprised to see Bob list Sosh and Hyman as virtual locks. He's said before he expected management to have them on the team ahead of a lot of veterans, but I have Brown in front of those guys as well, or at worst on par with them so I'm not sure why Bob think they're so far ahead. Babcock has mentioned them before as ready but he said Brown was ready last pre-season as well.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Alumni game in Halifax as well, Clarke, Gilmour,..
I turned down a ticket offer for pre season game against Ottawa. $105.00. Too much!

armi5718

May 9, 2009
I think some of the guys were going through fitness testing. I think Brown scored massive numbers in a lot of the tests, like whatever showed VO2 max and resting heart beat and stuff.

I dunno, heard through my father in law (Brown's uncle) Kid is monstrously fit right now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
McKenzie did a pretty good job on his training camp preview breaking down the roster. I'd highly recommend watching the segment if you haven't seen it.

He pretty much said what we all thought. This roster is very deep in young players and very unpredictable upfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad