2016-17 Official Toronto Maple Leafs Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Lol at Hunwick being waived. That won't happen. Babcock loves this guy.

Trimming six seems pretty simple to me.

Release Prust from his PTO. Send down Froese, Soshnikov, Campbell, Corrado and Leivo. If you're worried about waivers for the last two, you try to swing a deal first.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
It depends where you are in the order in regards to claiming a player. If the team is behind a lot of other teams who could potentially claim the player, then they are more likely to trade if they believe the player is worthwhile.

Yes, that is also a good point.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Holland has been placed on waivers already this year. I believe he can be sent down without having to be put waivers again.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I would say Froese, Greening, Campbell will be waived. Leafs are just waiting for a busy waiver day to up the odds of sneaking them through.

Soshnikov is injured and can do some time on the Marlies as a conditioning stint.

Prust will be let go from his PTO.

Not sure the extent of Kadri's injury but if it is likely into the season. Brown can be dropped and brought back up on Wednesday while Kadri is put on IR. This gives the team a chance to check out Leivo a little longer. Also let other teams fill their roster's from the initial waiver wires. Someone can be waived later with a greater chance of making it through.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Lol at Hunwick being waived. That won't happen. Babcock loves this guy.

Trimming six seems pretty simple to me.

Release Prust from his PTO. Send down Froese, Soshnikov, Campbell, Corrado and Leivo. If you're worried about waivers for the last two, you try to swing a deal first.

LOL at the Hunwick remark. But, maybe Babcock will change his mind though on Hunwick, or like he always says, somebody better can always come along and take your job away.

Actually, I wonder if the reason they gave Pollack 2 million for the year was for the express purpose that they would be able to send him down without fear of him being claimed and if they need to recall him he's available. Although, that would also be another excuse to keep Hunwick up.

With Corrado, it seems like how they left him in the press box for a half season last year for fear of losing him now, it just seems like they see something in him they aren't going to give up on too easily. So, I sense they'd definitely fear him being claimed.

But, you raise a good point about making a deal with possible suitors before they waive him or at least maybe getting feelers from teams.

Toad

May 18, 2013
No, colborne would've have to gone through waivers and they weren't going to keep him over orr/fml for some reason.

That was the most ridiculous thing about that whole situation and really put an exclamation point on the horrendous disaster that was the Leafs' 2013 offseason by Nonis and company.

I could keep going on about how they threw in that 4th rounder along with retaining salary on Gunnarsson to acquire Polak, or how they coughed up a third 2nd rounder(+) in five months to get Holland because they had zero depth at the centre position (after they just traded away Colborne like six weeks prior) ...ahh I'll stop before I get in any deeper...gives me the shivers...

Amazing how different things are just three years later...

Anyway, back on topic...I think Brown makes the team to start the season and probably stays up until Soshnikov is ready...

I actually can't believe that Prust has stuck around for as long as he has...

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Since when does Kadri have an injury?

They haven't said anything about an injury but as closed mouth as Lou and Babcock have been about such things, it's not a surprise that nothing has been announced, he will be with the team.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I'm thinking along your lines as well.

You don't mention Greening. You think he stays?
I agree with you on Holland - they finally cut the cord I think.

But, with Laich, the game is still about business, and for all the talk, I still think they would have difficulty putting a 4.5 million cap hit on the Marlies, in other words, 4.5 - .9 = 3.6 against the cap so a younger player (even though more deserving (perhaps) can play.

I didn't mention Greening because I don't think they'll waive him. He has that good, physical grinding presence for a 4th line. Yeah I'm aware waiving Laich means a lot more dead cap but won't make a difference to overall cap and would provide great vet leadership, along with Campbell on the Marlies.

Plus I don't see another NHL team claiming that cap hit either, so I think passing him through waivers is safer then Holland, IMO.

But you certainly being up a valid point and Holland had been safely waived before as well.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Yes remember Holland was already waived once and not claimed. I know it was before a contract but still it's not like he makes 5 million. Also Greening is a good choice for the Marlies. I doubt anyone claims him. That's why he was playing in the minors for Ottawa. Nobody looked twice. Greening would be good for the Marlies and we'd have an NHL body in case of injuries for call up.

I think Laich stays. He's been a steady part of the team throughout.

Laich very well could stay. He also has more of Babs' respect than Dutch.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I didn't mention Greening because I don't think they'll waive him. He has that good, physical grinding presence for a 4th line. Yeah I'm aware waiving Laich means a lot more dead cap but won't make a difference to overall cap and would provide great vet leadership, along with Campbell on the Marlies.

Plus I don't see another NHL team claiming that cap hit, either so I think passing him through waivers is safer then Holland, IMO.

But you certainly being up a valid point and Holland had been safely waived before as well.

I agree with you about Greening's physicality - I do wish he had a little meanness in him as well. I think he's closer to the 'heavy' that Babcock often refers to than Holland for sure. But, I think I"m in the minority on this one (Greening's value that is) and I'm not sure about Babcock's thinking.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If Carrick is demoted, that leaves the Leafs with essentially the same post-Phaneuf defense other than Zaitsev. That's not enough changeover from a demonstrably poor NHL defense. Someone like Corrado, Marincin and/or Hunwick have to be gone as well.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Holland has been placed on waivers already this year. I believe he can be sent down without having to be put waivers again.

Interesting thought. Maybe that's true. Surely this expires over time. Regardless, Holland has played well in the preseason according to the coach so any risk of him being demoted has disappeared for the moment.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan

I don't know - but, it seems like waivers would start fresh at the beginning of each season and wouldn't go by calendar years - I could be wrong!

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I imagine whoever played last night is likely staying. More chance the scratches are getting cut. They're just waiting for all the teams to make cuts so the waiver wire is busy and they can sneak people through.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
My thinking is, if they don't trade before the roster deadline it'll be:

Campbell and Pollack waived - leaving 7 dmen including Carrick/Hunwick and the usual suspects

Sosh (since he's injured anyways), Leivo, Prust, and Holland.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
True he has been placed on waivers in the summer, but waivers has a time expiry period and its 30 days or less.

So Holland would require waivers again, but if the Leafs were willing to lose him earlier there would be no real concern over loss this time even if claimed.

Mad Brills*

Carrick isn't getting waived.

The team would be stupid to do so.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Cutting 6 from this group will be painful but has to be done to get to 23 players.

Painful? Couldn't be easier.
  1. Bozak
  2. JVR
  3. Marner
  4. Kadri
  5. Komorov
  6. Michalek
  7. Matthews
  8. Nylander
  9. Hyman
  10. Martin
  11. Laich
  12. Brown

1. Rielly
  2. Zaitsev
  3. Gardiner
  4. Carrick
  5. Marincin
  6. Hunwick
  7. Polak
  8. Corrado

1. Anderson
  2. Enroth

Trade and/or demote the rest. Sosh becomes the first call up.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
If Carrick is demoted, that leaves the Leafs with essentially the same post-Phaneuf defense other than Zaitsev. That's not enough changeover from a demonstrably poor NHL defense. Someone like Corrado, Marincin and/or Hunwick have to be gone as well.

I've really liked Carrick in the pre-season and he showed good improvement through the last season. I think and hope they keep him up.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Defense you need to go with...

Rielly-Zaitsev = Zaitsev is getting screwed being with Hunwick
Gardiner-Carrick
Marincin-Corrado

Rielly just played amazing hockey at the WC and WCOH on his left side. Don't change it.

Waive 1 of Polak or Hunwick.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Im not sure if its been addressed here but for 6'4 isn't 230 is too much for a goalie? Is Freddy huge and jacked or just a fat-ass?
Either way, seems too heavy to be agile and not wear down late in a game.

He was actually much heavier when he entered the league and has worked very hard to lose weight. Let's see how that trends.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I see the Main NHL board is the typically Montreal fans pumping their own tires.

"Habs are contenders!"
"Gally is the best player from his draft!"

They may be more delusional than us Leaf fans. And we are cheering for a team on a 50 year championship drought

I hate generalization but you also missed this gem.

"Radulov is arguably the 2nd best Russian player in the world." :laugh:

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Painful? Couldn't be easier.
  1. Bozak
  2. JVR
  3. Marner
  4. Kadri
  5. Komorov
  6. Michalek
  7. Matthews
  8. Nylander
  9. Hyman
  10. Martin
  11. Laich
  12. Brown

1. Rielly
  2. Zaitsev
  3. Gardiner
  4. Carrick
  5. Marincin
  6. Hunwick
  7. Polak
  8. Corrado

1. Anderson
  2. Enroth

Trade and/or demote the rest. Sosh becomes the first call up.

So, 8 dmen, 2 in the press box every game, that seems a bit much, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad