2016-17 Official Toronto Maple Leafs Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I see the Main NHL board is the typically Montreal fans pumping their own tires.

"Habs are contenders!"
"Gally is the best player from his draft!"

They may be more delusional than us Leaf fans. And we are cheering for a team on a 50 year championship drought

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
6 players from this group have to be cut...

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/282490336/binary-file/file.pdf

SportChek Training Camp: Leafs Trim Camp Roster

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/news/maple-leafs-trim-training-camp-roster/c-282490314

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced today that the hockey club has trimmed its training camp roster to 29 players. The Leafs current training camp roster includes a total of 18 forwards, nine defencemen and two goaltenders. An updated roster can be found below.

The Maple Leafs released Raman Hrabarenka from his professional tryout and assigned the following 18 players to the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League: Antoine Bibeau, Nikolas Brouillard, Rich Clune, Travis Dermott, Frederik Gauthier, Justin Holl, Andreas Johnsson, Kasperi Kapanen, Brendan Leipsic, Tobias Lindberg, Viktor Loov, Trevor Moore, Andrew Nielsen, Kerby Rychel, Colin Smith, Garret Sparks, Dmytro Timashov, and Rinat Valiev.

The Maple Leafs close out their preseason schedule on Saturday night when they travel to Detroit to face the Red Wings at 7 p.m. The team then opens the regular season on Wednesday, October 12 when they visit the Ottawa Senators at 7 p.m.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Cutting 6 from this group will be painful but has to be done to get to 23 players.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
From Press conference last night...

Q: With he (Hyman) and Connor Brown, the guys who have come through here a second time now, was there more onus on them to step up given the Marner and Matthews equation?

Babcock: The only thing I’d say is that some of the guys you’re talking to me about, I think, are already on the team. I don’t even know why we’re talking about them. I guess the way I look at it is – we’ll make these decisions, and we’ll make the announcement on Monday like I said.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
29 to 23 won't be painful in the least:

Campbell, Soshnikov, Prust to start. That leaves 3 to make.

1. Drop one more defenseman. That's Corrado or Hunwick. Corrado is my choice.
2. Drop 2 more forwards. Froese and Brown is the most painless. I think it's going to be Brown and Leivo.

Want to expose the fewest to waivers? Keep 8 defensemen. Send back Marner, demote Brown, waive Greening (nobody's picking him up on waivers at his price).

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Im not sure if its been addressed here but for 6'4 isn't 230 is too much for a goalie? Is Freddy huge and jacked or just a fat-ass?
Either way, seems too heavy to be agile and not wear down late in a game.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I should know this - but, sorry, is Froese exempt or can he be claimed if he's put on waivers?

He can be claimed. Although not many (if any?) teams are looking to add a 4th line C who can also kill penalties.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
From Press conference last night...

Q: With he (Hyman) and Connor Brown, the guys who have come through here a second time now, was there more onus on them to step up given the Marner and Matthews equation?

Babcock: The only thing I’d say is that some of the guys you’re talking to me about, I think, are already on the team. I don’t even know why we’re talking about them. I guess the way I look at it is – we’ll make these decisions, and we’ll make the announcement on Monday like I said.

Sounds like he's getting a bit frustrated

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Prust, Greening, Brown, Sosh, Corrado, Campbell to be cut yet until Lou can trade some guys or injuries happen.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

2. Drop 2 more forwards. Froese and Brown is the most painless. I think it's going to be Brown and Leivo.

Want to expose the fewest to waivers? Keep 8 defensemen. Send back Marner, demote Brown, waive Greening (nobody's picking him up on waivers at his price).

Personally I drop hunwick over Corrado. Hunwicks just been down right awful

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Soshnikov being injured will start on the Marlies but evidently, once he is over those injuries he will rejoin the Leafs.

Froese, Leivo, Brown, Prust, defence should be Hunwick and Campbell but Babcock wants Hunwick and so it'll probably be Corrado or Carrick and frankly, both Corrado and Carrick have been very good, so my guess

Froese, Leivo, Brown, Prust, Campbell, Corrado.

Mad Brills*

No. Leafs traded colborne for a 4th 3 years ago before the season.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Wouldn't other teams catch on the Leafs are just trying to protect an asset from being claimed, and therefore, wouldn't the other team wait until after the final rosters are submitted.

It depends. If the team really like for example Leivo but are way down the list on the claim order and think that someone ahead of them will put a claim in they might be inclined to throw a pick out to get that player.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
No. Leafs traded colborne for a 4th 3 years ago before the season.

Good point, I remember that trade, cause I really thought it was bad.

But, your point stands. Is it normal or is it easy though to trade this close to the roster deadline. I mean, other teams can see which players could potentially become available and if those players were valued by another team, wouldn't they just force the team to waive them first.

Also, Colbourne would have been exempt I imagine - wasn't he? Or was he, couldn't have played that many games in the NHL and was pretty young? I don't remember sorry!

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I think there are gonna be a surprise or two about the opening night roster on the basis of some of these replies.

I think Brown made roster for instance, displacing Laich or Holland on the 4th.

Hunwick can't even earn minutes from Babs at camp, I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep waiving him and rolling 7 D.

Leivo, Froese, Sosh, Campbell, one of Holland or Laich and Hunwick would be my six cuts to make a 23 man roster.

Mad Brills*

No, colborne would've have to gone through waivers and they weren't going to keep him over orr/fml for some reason.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I think there are gonna be a surprise or two about the opening night roster on the basis of some of these replies.

Hunwick can't even earn minutes from Babs at camp, I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep waiving him and rolling 7 D.

Leivo, Froese, Sosh, Campbell, one of Holland or Laich and Hunwick would be my six cuts to make a 23 man roster.

I'm thinking along your lines as well.

You don't mention Greening. You think he stays?
I agree with you on Holland - they finally cut the cord I think.

But, with Laich, the game is still about business, and for all the talk, I still think they would have difficulty putting a 4.5 million cap hit on the Marlies, in other words, 4.5 - .9 = 3.6 against the cap so a younger player (even though more deserving (perhaps) can play.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Yes remember Holland was already waived once and not claimed. I know it was before a contract but still it's not like he makes 5 million. Also Greening is a good choice for the Marlies. I doubt anyone claims him. That's why he was playing in the minors for Ottawa. Nobody looked twice. Greening would be good for the Marlies and we'd have an NHL body in case of injuries for call up.

I think Laich stays. He's been a steady part of the team throughout.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Wouldn't other teams catch on the Leafs are just trying to protect an asset from being claimed, and therefore, wouldn't the other team wait until after the final rosters are submitted.

It depends where you are in the order in regards to claiming a player. If the team is behind a lot of other teams who could potentially claim the player, then they are more likely to trade if they believe the player is worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad