2016/17 lineup

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I dont think it matters nearly as much as some people think it does. I've always thought it was more of a mental thing for goalies. But hey, if my goalie thinks he can stop the puck better in black and he's more comfortable in black - by all means do what you gotta do.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Crow's best statistical season just came wearing black pads. I'm pretty sure it would have still been the case if he were wearing neon green pads

Thanks alot, now I have a visual of Crow in neon green pads and it's giving me a headache just thinking about it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Pad color has little to do with saving the puck. Clean (aka new) white pad may help hide the net a little better in relation to the 5 hole but it is tiny.

Why not have gear that matches the pattern of the net? :sarcasm:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Pad color has little to do with saving the puck. Clean (aka new) white pad may help hide the net a little better in relation to the 5 hole but it is tiny.

Why not have gear that matches the pattern of the net? :sarcasm:

:laugh:

That would be interesting. It would look like there's a legless goalie out there floating around in front of the net. Haha.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So Brian Campbell is playing 3rd line LW?

What the heck is going on?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Do you guys see any possibility panik could actually turn into a 50 point winger?

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Is this Toews subtly asking for Hossa back on his line?

Toews said. “You only get better and better when you start really understanding and really knowing everything [about your linemates]. It just becomes feel. … Sometimes you just have to go out there and let things happen, and use your instincts. That really kicks in with guys that you play with for a long time.”

“When you play well as a line, eventually you’ll earn that right to stay together and have that consistency,” Toews said. “Then you can build on it.”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/toews-trying-to-build-chemistry-with-ever-changing-linemates/

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Our GM refuses to send down a struggling young player who is not NHL talent (Hinostroza) and Hossa is injured

While I do wish that Stan operated unilaterally when it comes to rosters decisions, players sent down are usually decided on by both coach and GM. He's not going to waive a player Q likes, even if he should.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Is this Toews subtly asking for Hossa back on his line?

Toews said. “You only get better and better when you start really understanding and really knowing everything [about your linemates]. It just becomes feel. … Sometimes you just have to go out there and let things happen, and use your instincts. That really kicks in with guys that you play with for a long time.â€

“When you play well as a line, eventually you’ll earn that right to stay together and have that consistency,” Toews said. “Then you can build on it.”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/toews-trying-to-build-chemistry-with-ever-changing-linemates/

Toews is understandably frustrated. His linemates are working, but it's not like they are setting him up for easy goal or there. It's going to take them time. But I've seen Toews create his own scoring chances ... but more than last year. He just has to finish. And the fact he's going in front of the net much more now ... just tells you how much his role has changed offensively for the team and his linemates.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Toews is understandably frustrated. His linemates are working, but it's not like they are setting him up for easy goal or there. It's going to take them time. But I've seen Toews create his own scoring chances ... but more than last year. He just has to finish. And the fact he's going in front of the net much more now ... just tells you how much his role has changed offensively for the team and his linemates.

The interesting thing to me is that Toews is standing in front of the net more, while also shooting more (only three less SOG than Kane). I feel like he's 100% carrying that line, and Panik has been the biggest beneficiary.

Here's an interesting post from Blackhawks Breakdown (Jaeger :laugh:). He's advocating for Kane back with Toews. I've been so against that for a while, but he has me second guessing:

Hinostroza – Toews – Kane
Panarin – Anisimov – Schmaltz
Motte – Kruger – Hossa
Panik – Rasmussen – Hartman

https://blackhawksbreakdown.com/2016/10/24/my-take-on-the-lines/

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
What are the chances Schmaltz finds himself in a top six role this year? Seems like Q really like him as 3c or 4c.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Here's an interesting post from Blackhawks Breakdown (Jaeger :laugh:). He's advocating for Kane back with Toews. I've been so against that for a while, but he has me second guessing:

Hinostroza – Toews – Kane
Panarin – Anisimov – Schmaltz
Motte – Kruger – Hossa
Panik – Rasmussen – Hartman

https://blackhawksbreakdown.com/2016/10/24/my-take-on-the-lines/

This post makes me think that Blackhawksbreakdown doesn't know much about hockey or the Hawks this year. Hino has been terrible. Panik on the 4th line? This article is brutal.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
This post makes me think that Blackhawksbreakdown doesn't know much about hockey or the Hawks this year. Hino has been terrible. Panik on the 4th line? This article is brutal.

I don't like Hino in that spot, or Panik where he has him either.

If you're doing what he said, you go:

Schmaltz-Toews-Kane
Panarin-Anisimov-Panik
Motte-Kruger-Hossa
Hartman-Rasmussen-Tootoo/Desi

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
A lot of doom and gloom in this thread. Am I the only one who didn't expect a perfect start with so many rookies on the roster?

Our PK has been bad. I grant you all that.

Crawford has been bad. I grant you all that.

Crow will pick it up, as he always has, and we'll be in much better shape. Fix the PK, and boom, back to being a contender.

A lot of positives so far as far as I'm concerned. Panik is playing like a 1st liner (positionally too, not just points.) Motte doesn't look out of place. Kruger seems really fresh this year after looking pretty bad coming off his injury last year.

Forsling looks great defensively so far, and he's seeing a lot of ice-time for a rookie D-man coached by Q. Seabrook has had a strong start.

Yeah, there are little holes on our roster (looking at you Schmaltz, pick it up! :laugh:) but all things considered, I think we're on track.

Good chance to fix the PK tonight against the terrible Flames PP. Could go a long way to showing us just how much work we need on the PK if they hang a PP goal on us.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
A lot of doom and gloom in this thread. Am I the only one who didn't expect a perfect start with so many rookies on the roster?

Our PK has been bad. I grant you all that.

Crawford has been bad. I grant you all that.

Crow will pick it up, as he always has, and we'll be in much better shape. Fix the PK, and boom, back to being a contender.

A lot of positives so far as far as I'm concerned. Panik is playing like a 1st liner (positionally too, not just points.) Motte doesn't look out of place. Kruger seems really fresh this year after looking pretty bad coming off his injury last year.

Forsling looks great defensively so far, and he's seeing a lot of ice-time for a rookie D-man coached by Q. Seabrook has had a strong start.

Yeah, there are little holes on our roster (looking at you Schmaltz, pick it up! :laugh:) but all things considered, I think we're on track.

Good chance to fix the PK tonight against the terrible Flames PP. Could go a long way to showing us just how much work we need on the PK if they hang a PP goal on us.

Doom and gloom with some, others are more rational. Schmaltz needs to improve, but he's also not playing a role that favors his skill and current talent level. If there's any place to shelter a young/playmaking/inexperienced center, I feel like between Panarin and Kane is the place to do it.

I get they need a defensively responsible center in general, but if you're going to start in the offensive zone 70% of the time, why can't you afford to carry a rookie?

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
Doom and gloom with some, others are more rational. Schmaltz needs to improve, but he's also not playing a role that favors his skill and current talent level. If there's any place to shelter a young/playmaking/inexperienced center, I feel like between Panarin and Kane is the place to do it.

I get they need a defensively responsible center in general, but if you're going to start in the offensive zone 70% of the time, why can't you afford to carry a rookie?

I don't think 2C is a spot that's open. SB really went out of his way to lock down AA, and he seems really high on him. Right now, that line is clicking, and AA has been a huge part of it. If his production tails off dramatically, I could see Q trying Schmaltz there, but he has to show management something before they are willing to put him in that spot.

I'm inferring from your post that you think starting AA in the O-zone 70% of the time is a waste, and I tend to agree with you. Having AA and Kruger as your 3-4 C is a pretty nice defensive luxury, but AA does a lot for that second line, and I'm not convinced that Schmaltz is going to be up to the task. I also think that changes the make-up of the line. Schmaltz isn't afraid to go to the front of the net, but he does like being behind the goal-line a little too much for my liking.

Bottom line is, I don't think AA is being moved, and especially for a kid who (understandably) seems to be struggling mentally with the pace of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad