2016/17 lineup

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
Post a lineup you'd like to see. This isn't a "prediction" thread, what moves would you make and why?

Shaw, McNeil and a late pick for Yak 50% retained and Lander

Gives the Hawks a cheap RW with speed, could possibly benefit with a change of scenery.
Lander softens the blow of losing Kruger.

Sign Campbell 1 year.

Send Kruger and a prospect for Klein with some retained (not sure what it would take)

Actually play and give some time to Scmaltz like we did Panarin. (Follow Fabbri type role here in Chicago)

Break up the Panarin-AA-Kane line. Time to give Toews some help. Panarin on his LW and if Yakupov can produce some scoring, the line should suffice.

My hawks 2016!

Panarin-Toews-Yakupov
Schmaltz-AA-Kane
Panik-Lander-Hossa
Dejardins-Rassmussen-Hartman

Keith-Seabs
Hammer-Campbell
TVR-Klein

Crawford
Darling

Hossa and Yakupov can alternate. (Dejardins/Hartman Are my fillers)

ManChild20

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
I like the idea of Panarin with Toews. I also want Kempny, Motte, and Schmaltz on the team if they can fit them all. Also wouldn't mind Fleischmann back on a 1 year cheapy deal but that's a lot of LW assuming Motte and Schmaltz play the wing. Trade one of Shaw or Kruger but not both. Shaw probably has more value.

Without actually creating a lineup those are moves I like.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Vesey/Schmaltz-Toews-Panik/Hossa/Yakupov
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Schmaltz/Motte-Kruger-Hossa/Panik
Desi-Lundberg-Hartman
Ras

Keith-Seabrook
Hammer-Campbell
Kempny-TVR
Gus (not Sveddy)

Trade Pokka for Kapanen. Season him in Rockford.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
So at this point, you have six forwards you can trust; Toews, Kane, Panarin, Anisimov, Kruger, and Hossa. In order to roll four lines, you need to spread those six out, and fill in the gaps with players who can support them.

My strategy here is to go with three scoring lines (two dangerous lines, and one supplementary scoring line that can also take some d-zone draws), and one shutdown line. I'm using players currently under team control.

L1 Hinostroza-Toews-Kane
L2 Panarin-Anisimov-Panik
L3 Hartman-Schmaltz (Kero)-Hossa
L4 Desjardins-Kruger-Ras/Kero/Motte

Line 1: The Toews and Kane combo is probably the best offensive forward pairing in the NHL, they now have about a decade's worth of chemistry, and Panarin's presence allows Kane and Toews to be reunited. That left wing spot is even more of a "lottery spot" than it was with the Toews and Hossa pair. Basically it just needs to be someone who can pass, and won't make a ****-ton of mistakes. Hinostroza was Rockford's best setup forward, so he gets a crack at it first.

Line 2: This line is all about Panarin. He sticks with his fellow Russian who will dig pucks out for him, and will go stand in front of the next. Panik on this line gives Panarin a shooter to occasionally make plays for. Panik's main role is just to use his speed and size to help open the ice so Panarin can put the puck on net. Anisimov adds some defensive responsibility just like last season.

Line 3: This is your supplementary scoring line, this is also where Hossa's defensive ability is used to cover for two young players. Schmaltz is a speed and playmaking center who is said to have solid two-way ability. Schmaltz may not be ready for the NHL yet, so Tanner Kero may start the season in that spot. Hartman is pretty much an unknown, maybe he's a Shaw-type, maybe he's not. Either way, you have to think Hartman should be ready for the NHL now. This line makes me the most nervous out of all four, and probably sees the least amount of ice-time unless Schmaltz/Kero or Hartman really shine. Hossa still gets his ice-time through the PP and PK.

Line 4: This is your typical Marcus Kruger shutdown line. Kruger does the hard work, and you stick some wingers with him that have some defensive ability. They live for d-zone starts, and hardly score.

Defense:

Keith-Seabrook
Kempny(but hopefully Campbell)-Hammer
Gus (Kempny)-TVR

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
So at this point, you have six forwards you can trust; Toews, Kane, Panarin, Anisimov, Kruger, and Hossa. In order to roll four lines, you need to spread those six out, and fill in the gaps with players who can support them.

My strategy here is to go with three scoring lines (two dangerous lines, and one supplementary scoring line that can also take some d-zone draws), and one shutdown line. I'm using players currently under team control.

L1 Hinostroza-Toews-Kane
L2 Panarin-Anisimov-Panik
L3 Hartman-Schmaltz (Kero)-Hossa
L4 Desjardins-Kruger-Ras/Kero/Motte

Line 1: The Toews and Kane combo is probably the best offensive forward pairing in the NHL, they now have about a decade's worth of chemistry, and Panarin's presence allows Kane and Toews to be reunited. That left wing spot is even more of a "lottery spot" than it was with the Toews and Hossa pair. Basically it just needs to be someone who can pass, and won't make a ****-ton of mistakes. Hinostroza was Rockford's best setup forward, so he gets a crack at it first.

Line 2: This line is all about Panarin. He sticks with his fellow Russian who will dig pucks out for him, and will go stand in front of the next. Panik on this line gives Panarin a shooter to occasionally make plays for. Panik's main role is just to use his speed and size to help open the ice so Panarin can put the puck on net. Anisimov adds some defensive responsibility just like last season.

Line 3: This is your supplementary scoring line, this is also where Hossa's defensive ability is used to cover for two young players. Schmaltz is a speed and playmaking center who is said to have solid two-way ability. Schmaltz may not be ready for the NHL yet, so Tanner Kero may start the season in that spot. Hartman is pretty much an unknown, maybe he's a Shaw-type, maybe he's not. Either way, you have to think Hartman should be ready for the NHL now. This line makes me the most nervous out of all four, and probably sees the least amount of ice-time unless Schmaltz/Kero or Hartman really shine. Hossa still gets his ice-time through the PP and PK.

Line 4: This is your typical Marcus Kruger shutdown line. Kruger does the hard work, and you stick some wingers with him that have some defensive ability. They live for d-zone starts, and hardly score.

Defense:

Keith-Seabrook
Kempny(but hopefully Campbell)-Hammer
Gus (Kempny)-TVR

I disagree with that, we have 9 F's I think we can "trust".
hossa, kane, panik, JT, AA, krugs, Ras, AP, Desi. That isn't bad.

I like your lines as well. 19-88 a pair. Aa-AP a pair and 22-81 as a pair. I think if we can do that and fit in the last guy that doesn't kill the other 2 then that's great, I hear ya. I also like the below. 81 is going to bounce back. He gets 500 and he will feel better and they will start to go in.

Yes we will have 3 kids we have no clue about with consistency.

I think we might start as below

schmaltz-19-81
Party
hartman - kruger - Panik
motte - moose - desi

I think we are fine down the middle. People need to understand Kruger is our THIRD line C in terms of umm, everything. Minutes played should show you he is 3C since 10-11 year. moose is fine with the 4th line.

We need 3 wingers that can play in the NHL. Our D is high end IFFFF we get Soupy back. I don't know a thing about Lundberg. I need to study that.

FORWARDS (13)
Rightwing: M. Hossa ($5,275,000) - P. Kane ($10,500,000) - R. Panik ($875,000) - T. Motte ($925,000)
Centre: J. Toews ($10,500,000) - A. Anisimov ($4,550,000) - M. Kruger ($3,083,333) - D. Rasmussen ($575,000) - M. Lundberg ($692,500)
Leftwing: N. Schmaltz ($925,000) - A. Panarin ($812,500) - R. Hartman ($863,333) - A. Desjardins ($800,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: B. Seabrook ($6,875,000) - N. Hjalmarsson ($4,100,000) - T. Van Riemsdyk ($825,000)
Left: D. Keith ($5,538,462) - B. Campbell ($2,800,000) - M. Kempny ($700,000) - E. Gustafsson ($667,500)

GOALTENDER (2)
C. Crawford ($6,000,000) - S. Darling ($587,500)

AHL BURIED
D. Rundblad ($100,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
NHL Salary Cap: $73,000,000
Bonus Overages: $3,070,000
Cap Hit: $72,765,128
Cap Space: $234,872

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I disagree with that, we have 9 F's I think we can "trust".
hossa, kane, panik, JT, AA, krugs, Ras, AP, Desi. That isn't bad.

I like your lines as well. 19-88 a pair. Aa-AP a pair and 22-81 as a pair. I think if we can do that and fit in the last guy that doesn't kill the other 2 then that's great, I hear ya. I also like the below. 81 is going to bounce back. He gets 500 and he will feel better and they will start to go in.

Yes we will have 3 kids we have no clue about with consistency.

I think we might start as below

schmaltz-19-81
Party
hartman - kruger - Panik
motte - moose - desi

I think we are fine down the middle. People need to understand Kruger is our THIRD line C in terms of umm, everything. Minutes played should show you he is 3C since 10-11 year. moose is fine with the 4th line.

We need 3 wingers that can play in the NHL. Our D is high end IFFFF we get Soupy back. I don't know a thing about Lundberg. I need to study that.

FORWARDS (13)
Rightwing: M. Hossa ($5,275,000) - P. Kane ($10,500,000) - R. Panik ($875,000) - T. Motte ($925,000)
Centre: J. Toews ($10,500,000) - A. Anisimov ($4,550,000) - M. Kruger ($3,083,333) - D. Rasmussen ($575,000) - M. Lundberg ($692,500)
Leftwing: N. Schmaltz ($925,000) - A. Panarin ($812,500) - R. Hartman ($863,333) - A. Desjardins ($800,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: B. Seabrook ($6,875,000) - N. Hjalmarsson ($4,100,000) - T. Van Riemsdyk ($825,000)
Left: D. Keith ($5,538,462) - B. Campbell ($2,800,000) - M. Kempny ($700,000) - E. Gustafsson ($667,500)

GOALTENDER (2)
C. Crawford ($6,000,000) - S. Darling ($587,500)

AHL BURIED
D. Rundblad ($100,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
NHL Salary Cap: $73,000,000
Bonus Overages: $3,070,000
Cap Hit: $72,765,128
Cap Space: $234,872

I totally agree with that, and in my scenario he'd still get the third most ice-time of the centers. Even though I have him listed as "line 4", it's pretty much the same thing as he's been doing over the last few years.

I also understand what you mean by "trust", but I meant guys you can build a line around. Those other three guys you mentioned are definitely capable hockey players, but not people I'd trust carrying two rookies around.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
That vet ufa wing better cost 1.2 or less or we don't get soupy back. But I hope it happens.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Lundberg is going to center the 4th line. Ras 13th forward. Mashinter, adios.

I hope u r right. Ras at 13 means 3 kids passed him up and are more consistent and more solid. I don't believe it for 1 second but that is what u r saying. If it IS true wow we will be really really good.

Ras debuted and was never sent back down right? I know scratched but he stayed up post call up right. We will be doing great if we get one or 2 pure rookies that make team and then stick all year.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I hope u r right. Ras at 13 means 3 kids passed him up and are more consistent and more solid. I don't believe it for 1 second but that is what u r saying. If it IS true wow we will be really really good.

Ras debuted and was never sent back down right? I know scratched but he stayed up post call up right. We will be doing great if we get one or 2 pure rookies that make team and then stick all year.

Lundberg is 26. Rookie in name only. Hartman joins him at 4RW. Schmaltz will slot in optimally as 3LW, but could be 1LW. Vesey as 1LW. Boom!

That's a legit forward corps. Sign Soupy and our D is lots better than last season.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Lundberg is 26. Rookie in name only. Hartman joins him at 4RW. Schmaltz will slot in optimally as 3LW, but could be 1LW. Vesey as 1LW. Boom!

That's a legit forward corps. Sign Soupy and our D is lots better than last season.

Forget Vesey, he is going to Buff I would think. Yeah I hope Lundberg can do something. I still haven't read on thing on him yet.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Forget Vesey, he is going to Buff I would think. Yeah I hope Lundberg can do something. I still haven't read on thing on him yet.

I'll forget Vesey once he signs with someone else. There are many compelling reasons for Vesey to do his ELC servitude with the Hawks. Not the least of which is what transpired with Saad.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Also tge cap is no longer a problem. If Vesey earns his bonus money tjis season with us..We will.not nerd to carry overage into.next season. UNLESS Stan cannot rest Q telling him to go sign a Ufa vet to so. Up that cap room.Better..if we do.not land Vesey to add a vet infusion rental again at trade deadline to boost Cup chance
...As Stan says wants to give those in the system a chance..

Knowing Stan..if we will lose Pokka to expansion noon he could play Pokka now over bring in Campbell and if Pokka does well then trade him. At the deadline for picks and then also add a vet rental D-man then for tge Cup run...Better to do that then spend to the cap with a bet D-man and a vet LW sopping up the cap cushion from the getgo and not being able to add at the trade deadline ...Perhaps that is why Stan deferred 2 picks today to add 2 picks forward into the 2017 draft...More options if he needs them. In some trade deadline deal (objective is to get higher picks for Pokka and dump.lesser picks for rentals )..

B4rre

Jan 17, 2014
Knowing Stan..if we will lose Pokka to expansion noon he could play Pokka now over bring in Campbell and if Pokka does well then trade him. At the deadline for picks and then also add a vet rental D-man then for tge Cup run...Better to do that then spend to the cap with a bet D-man and a vet LW sopping up the cap cushion from the getgo and not being able to add at the trade deadline ...Perhaps that is why Stan deferred 2 picks today to add 2 picks forward into the 2017 draft...More options if he needs them. In some trade deadline deal (objective is to get higher picks for Pokka and dump.lesser picks for rentals )..

I don't think Las Vegas would draft Pokka from us if he doesn't have a true break out season. There's going to be a multitude of young promising Dmen for them to draft and we have for example TvR which is the likeliest candidate to be drafted by Vegas.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Motte - Toews - Kane
Panarin - Anisimov - Hossa
Desjardins - Kruger - Hartman
Panik - Rasmussen - Hinostroza/McNeill/Baun/whoever

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - Campbell
Kempny - TvR
Gustafsson

Schmaltz can come up at some point in the season and replace Rasmussen.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Motte - Toews - Kane
Panarin - Anisimov - Hossa
Desjardins - Kruger - Hartman
Panik - Rasmussen - Hinostroza/McNeill/Baun/whoever

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - Campbell
Kempny - TvR
Gustafsson

Schmaltz can come up at some point in the season and replace Rasmussen.

u don't think Schmaltz as a RW with Panarin wouldn't be better to ease him into the NHL and not give him the responsibility of center.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
u don't think Schmaltz as a RW with Panarin wouldn't be better to ease him into the NHL and not give him the responsibility of center.

I've been thinking about that too, but if he's the "third line" center, then he will probably get tons of offensive zone starts. That means his centering responsibilities will be far less intense compared to Toews and Kruger.

So maybe that kind of eases him into the center role. But I'm really torn on him at wing or center.

Also, like others have said, there are plenty of examples of guys stepping into an NHL lineup from NCAA. I won't put money on him making the opening night lineup, but I think he'll have a pretty solid NHL role by New Years.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Motte/Schmaltz - Toews - Hartman/McNeill
Panarin - Anisimov - Kane
Panik - Kruger - Hossa
Desjardins - Rasmussen - Hinostroza/McNeill/Lundberg

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - Campbell
Kempny - TvR
Gustafsson

Crawford
Darling

You give away another statistical year of Toews for the longterm improvement and development of your futures

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Panik Toews Kane
Panarin Anisimov Schmaltz
Hinostroza Richards Hossa
Desjardins Kruger Motte/Hartman
Rasmussen

Keith Seabrook
Hammer Soupy
Kempny TVR
Sved

Sign Campbell and Brad Richards for no more than $1.5m a piece, trade Pokka and Gustafsson for assets (neither would have much of a regular spot in the lineup, so might as well trade 'em and let Svedberg sit the bench).

If Hino can't play LW, then Kero or Motte replaces him at 3LW.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I would sign Campbell for a cheap 1-1.5mil deal

I also like the idea of somehow getting Yakupov, why not take a chance with that type of talent at a low price.

Then trade Crawford for a pick/prospect/cheap backup goalie, give Darling the starting job(with this roster depth the goalie won't have to be anything special).

Finally resign Ladd for 4.5-5mil if he's willing

Ladd-Toews-Yakupov
Panik-Schmaltz-Kane
Panarin-Anisimov-Hossa
Desjardins-Kruger-Hartman/Motte/Lundberg/Rasmussen

Keith-Seabrook
Kempny-Hjalmarsson
Campbell-TVR
Gus/Svedberg

Darling
XXX

Ad