Speculation: 2016-17 Goaltending Discussion

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Hmm. Previously haven't we not had a full-time goaltending guy at the AHL level (although this may be more during the Burke years)? And they just used the NHL guy (who didn't always seem to be full-time either) when the AHL players needed it?

And now that the teams are so much closer together, they're hiring one guy for each?

Now player budget and staff budget may not be shared, but this would seem to be a place where they were perfectly happy to save before.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I just want the dirt on why Roloson "quit". I never thought he accomplished squat with Freddie or Gibby. They seemed to continue having the same problems even as time moved on. Freddie loses concentration and Gibson moves side to side like Ray Emery.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
I just want the dirt on why Roloson "quit".

I read that he cited family issues as the reason for him deciding to leave. Also, that he wanted to devote less time to the job, and the Ducks wanted the opposite.

I never thought he accomplished squat with Freddie or Gibby. They seemed to continue having the same problems even as time moved on. Freddie loses concentration and Gibson moves side to side like Ray Emery.

Well, they won the Jennings Trophy last season for fewest goals allowed. That's a pretty useful accomplishment. So those problems couldn't have been all that bad, could they?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I read that he cited family issues as the reason for him deciding to leave. Also, that he wanted to devote less time to the job, and the Ducks wanted the opposite.

Well, they won the Jennings Trophy last season for fewest goals allowed. That's a pretty useful accomplishment. So those problems couldn't have been all that bad, could they?

1) It's a team accomplishment.
2) Both goalies are good.
3) But it doesn't mean they don't have weaknesses that need improving. Those weaknesses didn't seem to improve much IMO.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
1) It's a team accomplishment.
2) Both goalies are good.
3) But it doesn't mean they don't have weaknesses that need improving. Those weaknesses didn't seem to improve much IMO.

They both improved significantly over last season in both their GAA and Sv%. I'm not sure what you're looking for, but those improvements are most important in my book.

And the Jennings being a team accomplishment doesn't negate the fact that the accomplishment centers on pucks being kept out of the net, which is their job.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here. I thought maybe you forgot about the Jennings or something, so that's why I brought it up.

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
They both improved significantly over last season in both their GAA and Sv%. I'm not sure what you're looking for, but those improvements are most important in my book, in my estimation.

And the Jennings being a team accomplishment doesn't negate the fact that the accomplishment centers on pucks being kept out of the net, which is their job.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here. I thought maybe you forgot about the Jennings or something, so that's why I brought it up.

The team did a better job limiting the situations that the goalies were weak on, that's not the same as the goalies being improved. I think Andersen made some (but not enough) improvement on losing focus and letting in weak goals, but Gibson looked every bit as bad at breakaways and crossing the crease as he did the previous year after injuring his groin.

Improved statistics because of a tighter team game =/= goaltender improvement. The reason that matters is that RC will not be playing the same defensive system as last year, so the only constant will be goaltender play, and if the new system isn't as good at limiting opportunities that take advantage of Gibson's weak points, his numbers will suffer unless his actual play improves.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
As DVM said "The team did a better job limiting the situations that the goalies were weak on, that's not the same as the goalies being improved."

That was kind of my point. Regardless of team success and both goalies being good goalies, they both have weaknesses that did not look very improved to me, regardless of the Jennings.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
The team did a better job limiting the situations that the goalies were weak on, that's not the same as the goalies being improved. I think Andersen made some (but not enough) improvement on losing focus and letting in weak goals, but Gibson looked every bit as bad at breakaways and crossing the crease as he did the previous year after injuring his groin.

Improved statistics because of a tighter team game =/= goaltender improvement. The reason that matters is that RC will not be playing the same defensive system as last year, so the only constant will be goaltender play, and if the new system isn't as good at limiting opportunities that take advantage of Gibson's weak points, his numbers will suffer unless his actual play improves.

A "tighter team game" doesn't preclude goaltender improvement, either. Attributing moist of the significant improvement in Sv% and GAA to the skaters in front of them is unreasonable in my view. Sure, team defense helped them out a lot this past season, but it didn't do their job for them.

Also, the fact that the Jennings Trophy is a team accomplishment does not diminish the fact that the goalies are a big part of that accomplishment. After all, the goalies are awarded the trophy, not the team.

Our goalies aren't perfect, but by the measurable evidence that I'm looking at, there is no question that they improved last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad