Speculation: 2016-17 Goaltending Discussion

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
There's honestly not much to discuss about the goalie situation for me

Season hinges on Gibson staying healthy and performing well

We aren't winning a cup with Jhonas Enroth or Al Montoya between the pipes. If we couldn't do it with Andersen, we certainly won't do it with one of those guys

That's not a shot at Murray. We couldn't afford Andersen. It's just time for Gibson to make a statement as a true #1.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Does it? Hutch is 26 like Freddie so not that young, and he's made over 30 appearances in back to back seasons. Not a long time veteran but not an untested young rookie either.

As I said, I personally wouldn't mind him, but I don't see a chance a guy with 71 NHL games (compared to Gibson's 72) would get a "veteran" Label from Murray in this context.

mytduxfan*

Montoya
Ramo
Chad Johnson

Could see these 3 being our targets.

Chad Johnson pls.

We aren't winning a cup with Jhonas Enroth or Al Montoya between the pipes. If we couldn't do it with Andersen, we certainly won't do it with one of those guys

That's not a shot at Murray. We couldn't afford Andersen. It's just time for Gibson to make a statement as a true #1.

Agreed. Kind of scary. We could have a Price situation if Gibson goes down.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
As I said, I personally wouldn't mind him, but I don't see a chance a guy with 71 NHL games (compared to Gibson's 72) would get a "veteran" Label from Murray in this context.

I hope Murray was using the label loosely. In a general sense I'd love to get someone with a bit of experience but also some upside.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Enroth would be my first choice, but he just had a fantastic season. He'll be going to the highest bidder, or most playing time available, neither will be us.

I agree he could probably go the highest bidder, but I disagree about the playing time. I mean that, because Murray want's someone who could play up 30 games, that's a good chunk of playing time for a backup, maybe that's just enough for Enroth. He might like that amount of playing time and would take a smaller contract if he's going to play that much.

mytduxfan*

Out of curiosity, what makes you want Johnson over someone like Enroth?

Chad had a great year. I mean, if Chad is asking for stupid money then I pass, but, as of right now, I want the best guy and Chad play 40 games last season with a 2.36 GAA and a SV% of 0.920% playing for BUF. Meanwhile, Enroth had a worse SV% playing for LA, one of the leagues more defensive (boring) teams.

Having said all this, there are a number of options. I'd give Reimer a shot if he comes in at a reasonable price (I wouldn't spend more then 2M). Another guy would be Hutton

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Yes I agree if Gibson goes down we ain't winning anything.

We need a lot of Ducks fans to make sacrifices to the hockey gods for Gibson to remain healthy.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
My choices for backup would probably go

1) Reimer
2) Enroth
3) Johnson

I really like Reimer. I think he did fine in Toronto but that game 7 collapse gets pinned on him when his entire team got overmatched. He had a better SV% than Bernier since Bernier joined the team and was excellent in his 8 games with the Sharks. I could see him being cheaper than Enroth as well.

mytduxfan*

My choices for backup would probably go

1) Reimer
2) Enroth
3) Johnson

I really like Reimer. I think he did fine in Toronto but that game 7 collapse gets pinned on him when his entire team got overmatched. He had a better SV% than Bernier since Bernier joined the team and was excellent in his 8 games with the Sharks. I could see him being cheaper than Enroth as well.

I could get on board with that list. Tbh, I'm not really that bothered. As AngelDuck said, it's all on Gibson's performance anyway.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Chad had a great year. I mean, if Chad is asking for stupid money then I pass, but, as of right now, I want the best guy and Chad play 40 games last season with a 2.36 GAA and a SV% of 0.920% playing for BUF. Meanwhile, Enroth had a worse SV% playing for LA, one of the leagues more defensive (boring) teams.

Having said all this, there are a number of options. I'd give Reimer a shot if he comes in at a reasonable price (I wouldn't spend more then 2M). Another guy would be Hutton

Ah, good points. I didn't actually look up their stats, probably should have. Luckily, there's quite a few options for a backup goalie out there.

Like Bryz :sarcasm:

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Guessing the two didn't get along?

Let's just say by the end of it, no one got along with Randy. Wasn't his fault, wasn't really the players. Just soured relationships.

Randy also blatantly preferred Bernier over Reims. That said, Reimer's known for being one of the nicest guys in the league and he'd be coming in as a back up to Gibson anyway so if there's anyone to put things in the past, it's James. He'd probably only sign a 1-Year deal with Vegas looming.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Let's just say by the end of it, no one got along with Randy. Wasn't his fault, wasn't really the players. Just soured relationships.

Randy also blatantly preferred Bernier over Reims. That said, Reimer's known for being one of the nicest guys in the league and he'd be coming in as a back up to Gibson anyway so if there's anyone to put things in the past, it's James. He'd probably only sign a 1-Year deal with Vegas looming.

To be fair, he was fired from us because of the soured relations with key core players. Now he's back and those same players wanted him back :/

Doesn't mean anything really because I'm guessing Reimer wants to be a starter, so it's either he goes to Calgary or Vegas.

Oct 18, 2011
reimer will probably end up in calgary or on one of the teams that moves a goalie, but yes backup goalie has to be a big priority, we need someone who can step in and not just be "OK" has to be someone who can steal some games here and there

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
reimer will probably end up in calgary or on one of the teams that moves a goalie, but yes backup goalie has to be a big priority, we need someone who can step in and not just be "OK" has to be someone who can steal some games here and there

Like when Gibson eventually gets hurt

Ducksgo*

Back up goalie may be a big priority for you guys and gals. But not for me. I think Murray will just sign someone and we will be fine. Biggest priority for us is getting that left wing position solidified.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Back up goalie may be a big priority for you guys and gals. But not for me. I think Murray will just sign someone and we will be fine. Biggest priority for us is getting that left wing position solidified.

We need a good backup because Gibson has missed a lot of games with injury in his young career and hasn't had a big workload before in the NHL so we need a backup that can do well if Gibson goes down with injury and can play a good amount of games to keep Gibson from being overworked if he is able to remain healthy.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Murray has already said they're looking for a backup who can be trusted with a significant number of starts, perhaps upward of thirty.

Oct 18, 2011

we don't need a situation where this team is scrambling for goalies again if someone gets hurt. i would hope they not only get a high end backup, but can find a guy to be the no.1 for San Diego, who could come up and help if needed.

in all likely-hood Gibson will get hurt or only have a 50-55 game limit i am also thinking there is a high probability the ducks draft a goalie this year too

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Hey Ana fans,

What are your thoughts on Kevin Boyle this year? Where will he play? Looks promising, but is 24 already..

Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4