Speculation: 2016-17 Goaltending Discussion

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Pick one. I constantly flip flop between Gibson and Andersen, but management needs to pick one, and they're way smarter than me.

Management picked a long time ago. I think they may be second guessing themselves, but I still expect them to go with their original choice of Gibson.

I love Freddy especially his puck handling and I know Gibson looked sketchy vs Nashville but so did whole team..... But Freddie's collapse vs Chicago when we needed him most still haunts me

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I just see Freddie being the more consistent of the two. Gibson's glass groin and problems just scare the living hell out of me.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
The whole team collapsed. Go and watch again goals which he did allow in game 6 & 7.

You mean like toews scoring from behind the goal line to tie up game 5? After that his mindset was shattered. You could feel it in the stands as a spectator. Ya the team choked but that when you really need you goalie to stand on his head

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Time to go shopping for a new backup/ 1B...any candidates jumping off the page? I've always kind of liked Hutchinson, and he looks like the odd man out in Winnipeg with Hellebuyck the top guy and Pavelec being tough to move. Any other suggestions?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Time to go shopping for a new backup/ 1B...any candidates jumping off the page? I've always kind of liked Hutchinson, and he looks like the odd man out in Winnipeg with Hellebuyck the top guy and Pavelec being tough to move. Any other suggestions?

I'd like Hutchinson, although that's a damn young combo, and he's more of a less dependable guy, but with substantial upside on his own.

This year's UFA market doesn't look to great, at least for guys I like. Enroth fits the criteria. I'd like Ramo, too, if the interest in him is limited and it reduces his price to $2M. When I read the name Carter Hutton, I have this weird feeling I could see him being our fallback plan, or fallback to the fallback.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Eddie Lack might be worth a try. Had a bad season in Carolina, but I think he's a solid goalie. Would be cheap to acquire. His $2.5M salary (rises to $3M the year after) is high for what he has shown this year, though, so it would take some retention - or Carolina eating Stoner.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
From Murray:
On the type of backup goaltender the team is looking for

It has to be a veteran. We’ll have to do our homework. A veteran guy that can handle a bunch of games. We don’t want to overplay John, yet. He’ll have to be able to play 25 to 30 games. Character and hard-working type of guy. There are a few of them out there.

Pretty specific, while not shocking. Not sure I see many out there on the UFA market. Rules out a guy like Hutchinson.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I wonder if they may revisit a deal with Tor. Bernier played well for RC in the past. By waiting on that deal Tor can pay his signing bonus on July first so essentially retain 50% of his deal, but trade his entire cap hit. Tor might be interested in one of the lower end D like Stoner.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I wonder if they may revisit a deal with Tor. Bernier played well for RC in the past. By waiting on that deal Tor can pay his signing bonus on July first so essentially retain 50% of his deal, but trade his entire cap hit. Tor might be interested in one of the lower end D like Stoner.

Holy shyte that's one way to get around the cap. I don't know if they'd take Stoner, they'd do something like that to get rid of the cap hit, but I could see Murray being game for something like that.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Yeah I had that same thought. Stoner + pick for Bernier at $2M salary makes a lot of sense for both sides IMO.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
From Murray:

Pretty specific, while not shocking. Not sure I see many out there on the UFA market. Rules out a guy like Hutchinson.

Does it? Hutch is 26 like Freddie so not that young, and he's made over 30 appearances in back to back seasons. Not a long time veteran but not an untested young rookie either.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

I don't see that working simply because Bernier has only one year left on his deal. The Ducks have to have a goalie under contract for 17-18 or RFA status that they can expose in the expansion draft. Best to get somebody on a two year deal that you trust to have around the second year when he isn't drafted.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Does it? Hutch is 26 like Freddie so not that young, and he's made over 30 appearances in back to back seasons. Not a long time veteran but not an untested young rookie either.

I'd be ok with Hutch. He would likely be a lot cheaper. If the Bernier scenario I laid out doesn't happen I would imagine Al Montoya, Chad Johnson, and maybe Ramo.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don't see that working simply because Bernier has only one year left on his deal. The Ducks have to have a goalie under contract for 17-18 or RFA status that they can expose in the expansion draft. Best to get somebody on a two year deal that you trust to have around the second year when he isn't drafted.

I honestly have not seen that requirement anywhere except this forum.

Edit-And the general fanager tool, I guess, but that's it. It seems like a ridiculous requirement to me.

Double edit-Didn't see it because every recent article didn't put it in there, but seems legit. Still seems like a ridiculous rule, but it's easy to get around, I suppose. Extend Hackett or Tokarski for that year, or if we're allowed to expose first year pro's, we have that covered as well.

Last edited:

PCDiesel

Jun 17, 2011
Boston, MA
My money's on Enroth. He wants a bacup job where he can play a good chunk of games, they want an experience vet backup who can play a good chunk of games, seems like a match made in heaven.

I also like the idea of Enroth. I defiantly want more of a veteran backup that could be a mentor if needed. Ryan Miller would be perfect if his contract wasn't so expensive.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I honestly have not seen that requirement anywhere except this forum.

Edit-And the general fanager tool, I guess, but that's it. It seems like a ridiculous requirement to me.

Double edit-Didn't see it because every recent article didn't put it in there, but seems legit. Still seems like a ridiculous rule, but it's easy to get around, I suppose. Extend Hackett or Tokarski for that year, or if we're allowed to expose first year pro's, we have that covered as well.

It's also mentioned here too. But obviously nothing is official until Gary Bettman says it is.

http://thehockeywriters.com/expansion-draft-rules-gain-clarity/

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
The rule does seem slightly ridiculous. If true, then Vegas will have 30 NHL caliber goalies (for the most part) to choose from?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's easy enough to get around but I hope they keep that one out. Vegas isnt going to get any of their goaltenders from a team that has to sign a guy just to expose him. They'll get them from the teams that have no other choice but to expose someone who's a quality player.

That's true, but somebody will have two somewhat equal guys and the rule forces one of them to be exposed.

The rule does seem slightly ridiculous. If true, then Vegas will have 30 NHL caliber goalies (for the most part) to choose from?

I'm not sure I'd call them all NHL caliber but yeah, they will have their pick of quite a few guys who've played in the league.

Don't forget they are paying a half a billion dollars. You gotta give them something for their money. :laugh:

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Well, probably not, as not that many teams are compliant with that right now and will just sign an AHL guy or something. It's still pretty stupid, though, as teams can only protect one goaltender, and it's quite common to go into July with only one signed. At least with the other requirements there's some logic to it, this one doesn't help Vegas at all.

For us, if Murray brings in a backup to take care of that requirement, it might hurt our chances for the best backups, as I'm guessing many of them will want 1 year deals to prove they can start somewhere. Then again, maybe they'll want to be exposed to the expansion draft, who knows?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00