League News: 2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Part the Second (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Roenick and Milbury are neck-and-neck for being the worst analysts in all of sports. Each time I think I loathe one of them more, the other one appears on TV and reminds me why he is terrible as well. I'd rather listen to a 60 minute Pierre monologue about minor junior hockey is Nova Scotia than a single segment from either of them.

I think while I disagree with Milbury at times he more often than not at least substantiates his position with more than just cliches.

Roenick has a bad case of verbal diarrhea and its one stupid cliché after another.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Hockey talking heads trending:

JR - I loved him as a player in his younger years but man is he a gibberish spouting knuckle head! half the stuff he says contradicts the other half of the stuff he says and he rarely makes in depth salient analysis. I cringe when he is on.

Brian Lawton - This guy was awkward at first but has settled in. He's excellent and articulate and I like his demeanor. Maybe he wasn't the best GM and he definitely was one of the worst busts as a #1 overall pick but he's a knowledgable analyst!

Milbury and Jones are ok. I actually like them.

Scott Gomez is cringeworthy.

Dave Reid is in the Roenick class of cliché spouting JR Knuckle head.

They miss Stevens in the studio tho he was a bit unpolished.

This, pretty much 100%.

Milbury hates the Caps and so always avoids giving them the credit they deserve, sometimes to the point of sounding ridiculous, but he does have some good hockey insights. He did it again last night focusing on Rask rather than praising the Caps. But he also wasn't wrong about Rask: he wasn't good; at least, he wasn't much of a difference-maker. But while to me, the fact that he did play the night before and got in to DC in the wee hours mitigates or at least explains Rask's performance, Milbury was pretty unsympathetic.

That said, if the few tweets I saw are true and Rask was injured on that last Ovie chance, then that's a huge blow to Boston and their failure to find a decent backup did more than hurt them in the game last night; it has probably cost them a playoff berth.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think while I disagree with Milbury at times he more often than not at least substantiates his position with more than just cliches.

Roenick has a bad case of verbal diarrhea and its one stupid cliché after another.

But Milbury's reasoning is typically also dog crap. The guy is a neanderthal who somehow tricked a franchise into giving him the keys and then absolutely ruined the franchise with some of the most horrific hockey decisions of all time. He's a "good" TV personality in the same way that cable news talking heads are, he makes outrageous statements and then uses shoestring logic to back them up. He's there to create controversy and buzz. He has reasoning, but his reasoning isn't actually supported by reality.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Looking over Mad Mike's moves, I feel the league would be more fun if he were a GM again. What a maniac he was.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
But Milbury's reasoning is typically also dog crap. The guy is a neanderthal who somehow tricked a franchise into giving him the keys and then absolutely ruined the franchise with some of the most horrific hockey decisions of all time. He's a "good" TV personality in the same way that cable news talking heads are, he makes outrageous statements and then uses shoestring logic to back them up. He's there to create controversy and buzz. He has reasoning, but his reasoning isn't actually supported by reality.

Funny thing about Milbury....he was a helluva coach in Boston, before he lost his way with the Isles.

Just 2 seasons, but 2 100pt campaigns (before the loser point, so 100 was a lot), and an SCF loss (to Messier), and an ECF loss. Presidents trophy in 1st year, lost to the Oiler dynasty after scorching the east in 16 total games. 4th best record the next year (#1 seed in East), and lost to the emerging mini-dynasty and Cup champs, the Pens. Pretty Big success. He'd be seen as a god if he'd stopped there.

But then NYI happened. And well......yeah.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Milbury and Roenick were on last night before the Sabres/Rangers game. I felt bad for Mike. They started talking about Flyers scratching Ghost (insane in itself) and Milbury was talking about how ridiculous it was. Roenick went on to spout inane wisdom and once again ended up contradicting himself while trying to justify the scratching of ghost. Milbury started looking down when Roenick was twisting through his pretzel logic.

RE: Mad Mike days in NY

A couple weeks ago Milbury said something interesting and off hand while discussing some subject about ownership (some other team) and how they got involved with personnel moves.

Milbury said his good buddy Charles demanded several trades that he took the fall for (that actually makes sense...Wong was the definition of a meddling owner) and made Milbury look bad. That probably explains why Milbury was there so long...the owner could not fire him if the owner himself was behind many of those insane moves.

In then end I like Milbury. He's definitely biased against the Caps but to me he does a pretty good job explaining things.

I get dumber (hard to believe its possible...) by listening to JR. At one point I had to mute my TV as it was making me dizzy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Marchenko on waivers too, stupid move by the Wings. He'll get claimed quickly, but if he fell to us we should claim him without a second thought.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Interested to see the CBJ v Pens game tonight. Scared at the same time to think that ROOT or Jeff Reimer are my only options other than the mute button

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Have you guys noticed that Tampa Bay is dead last in their division? The very team that played in the ECF last year? Wth happened there?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Have you guys noticed that Tampa Bay is dead last in their division? The very team that played in the ECF last year? Wth happened there?

Injuries hit them pretty hard. Once things started to get unglued, they haven't been able to get it back on track.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Terrible goaltending.

Ben Bishop is really struggling and Vasilevski looks to be just another good backup. Put more workload for him and his numbers drop significantly.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Terrible goaltending.

Ben Bishop is really struggling and Vasilevski looks to be just another good backup. Put more workload for him and his numbers drop significantly.

Vasya is just 22. For reference, Grubauer is 25, Vanecek is 21, and Samsonov is 19 (will turn 20 in a couple weeks) . Still plenty of time for Vasya to develop into a #1 starter. He just had some hiccups during the stretch he was being leaned on this season.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Vasya is just 22. For reference, Grubauer is 25, Vanecek is 21, and Samsonov is 19 (will turn 20 in a couple weeks) . Still plenty of time for Vasya to develop into a #1 starter. He just had some hiccups during the stretch he was being leaned on this season.

You are correct, the potential is definitely there. Just saying that development doesn't happen overnight like most people thought after Vasilevski had a pretty good Playoff run.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Vasilevsky has been ok, their defense is caps during Kwiatkowski era garbage though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad