WJC: 2016 — Finland Roster Talk

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
I see everyone has Rantanen in their lineup - is he is expected to be released by Colorado?

I guess he is not close to getting back to NHL, then? Other guys ahead of him in the organisation for the call-up? (I'm just stats-watching, but it seems he has done nicely in the AHL).

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
I see everyone has Rantanen in their lineup - is he is expected to be released by Colorado?

I guess he is not close to getting back to NHL, then? Other guys ahead of him in the organisation for the call-up? (I'm just stats-watching, but it seems he has done nicely in the AHL).

He has done very nicely in the AHL, and seems there are some injuries in Colorado too.. I would love to see Rantanen, but it's 50-50, any lineup with him in should also include the +1 guy as Rantanen could just as easily be in the NHL at that point

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Yet still Canada and the US have absolutely loaded offences, much more so than Finland...they are both way deeper all the way through.
What else is new, Captain Obvious?

And no matter what others have or don't have, it still will be extraordinarily loaded by Finnish standards. Everything is relative.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The offense really is outstanding. So stacked it's not easy to wait for the tournament..

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
The offense really is outstanding. So stacked it's not easy to wait for the tournament..

Just keep the fingers crossed that there will be no freak accidents. With the possible forward depth, Finland, for once can compete with the rest of the best even on the charts. Still the way Rantanen f.ex. is playing at the moment there is no guarantee he isn't called up from the AHL.
If everyone was on board the gold medal would not only be the ultimate goal, but a disappointment if not achieved.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Since Aho is unfortunately out I see the lineups going like this if no injuries arrive and we get both Kappy and Rantz.

Kapanen - Hintz - Rantanen
Puljujärvi - Kalapudas - Laine
Lammikko - Nättinen - Saarela
Tammela - Siikonen/Grymer - Repo

Olli Juolevi - Vili Saarijärvi
Sami Niku - Välimäki :yo:
Joni Tuulola - Niemeläinen
Markus Niemeläinen

Vehviläinen
Kähkönen
Viksten

I was surprised that I didnt see Välimäki on other one's rosters. He's been outstanding in WHL. We need some skill on our D besides Juolevi&Saarijärvi. Is there some reason that I'm not unaware of Välimäki's situation ?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Since Aho is unfortunately out I see the lineups going like this if no injuries arrive and we get both Kappy and Rantz.
It was reported early this week that Aho got off with a scare, and that his participation won't be in jeopardy. Mentioned on these boards too... if somebody just bothered to search the player's name.

I was surprised that I didnt see Välimäki on other one's rosters. He's been outstanding in WHL. We need some skill on our D besides Juolevi&Saarijärvi. Is there some reason that I'm not unaware of Välimäki's situation ?
Mainly because we have better guys for those slots. No way Välimäki and Niemeläinen take over Mikkola and Sopanen, who are, for starters, older and more experienced. Your defense is putting too much brunt on cageheads.

That being said, we'll have a pretty nice defense a year or two down the road. But these games will come too early for most of those '98 borns.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
top 6 F :

Aho-Saarela-Puljujärvi
Laine-Nättinen-Rantanen

Juho Lammikko F
Kasperi Kapanen F
Roope Hintz F
Sebastian Repo F

Vili Saarijärvi D
Olli Juolevi D
Markus Niemeläinen D
Niko Mikkola D
Eetu Sopanen D

Veini Vehviläinen G

not sure of the rest.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Vili Saarijärvi D
Olli Juolevi D
Markus Niemeläinen D
Niko Mikkola D
What's with people's infatuation with Niemeläinen? He sure as heck ain't on the list of locks. At least for this year. If he's lucky, he may squeak in into one of the last slots, but guys like Tuulola, Sopanen and Niku are making it far ahead of him.

Last edited:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
What's with people's infatuation with Niemeläinen? He sure as heck ain't on the list of locks. At least for this year. If he's lucky, he may squeak in into one of the last slots, but guys like Tuulola, Sopanen and Niku are making it far ahead of him.

Tuulola - Saarijärvi
Juolevi - Sopanen
Niku - Mikkola

That's the way I currently see the D-pairs. Such a shame that Veeti Vainio got hurt, he would've been the perfect, right-handed #6-7 D-man for that team. I also don't see Niemeläinen making it, he's just too young and inexperienced IMO.

The question right now is who will be the #7 guy they bring along to the tournament. Ville Väinölä, Sebastian Moberg, Miro Keskitalo, Matias Haaranen (size?) and Arttu Pelli (righty!) are probably the most likely candidates here. Right now my pick is Moberg, but that can change quickly.

EDIT: Full roster prediction

Laine - Hintz - Rantanen
Aho - Saarela - Puljujärvi
Kapanen - Nättinen - Repo
Lammikko - Honkanen - Hopponen
(Tammela)

Tuulola - Saarijärvi
Juolevi - Sopanen
Niku - Mikkola
(Moberg)

Vehviläinen
Kähkönen
(Larmi)

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Right now my pick is Moberg, but that can change quickly.
*sigh* Moberg's situation has been covered a number of times too. He ain't likely at all. Hasn't featured in a single U20 event over the entire year, not even in any of the challenger groups. Hard to say for sure why, but Jalonen has pretty much ignored him. So it's pretty safe to call that he won't make the squad either.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
I believe Finland has the strongest forward crop this year, going to be a fun team to watch.

They have a very strong group of forwards but in terms of overall depth I don't see how you can say they have a better group then Canada or the US. Each of those teams is loaded with first round picks all the way down their forward lines while Finland has I would say only 4 highly elite forwards in Laine, Rantanen (if he is released), Kapanen (if he is released), and Puljujärvi. Nevertheless I would say Finland, Canada, Sweden (if they get Nylander and Kempe) and the US are the 4 top teams going into the tournament this year with Russia right behind.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Each of those teams is loaded with first round picks all the way down their forward lines while Finland has I would say only 4 highly elite forwards in Laine, Rantanen (if he is released), Kapanen (if he is released), and Puljujärvi.
You obviously haven't seen Aho and Repo play. FYI, both are Liiga team 1st liners with regular PP time.

Typical HFBoards. If a guy hasn't heard of them, he assumes they aren't worth the salt.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
They have a very strong group of forwards but in terms of overall depth I don't see how you can say they have a better group then Canada or the US. Each of those teams is loaded with first round picks all the way down their forward lines while Finland has I would say only 4 highly elite forwards in Laine, Rantanen (if he is released), Kapanen (if he is released), and Puljujärvi. Nevertheless I would say Finland, Canada, Sweden (if they get Nylander and Kempe) and the US are the 4 top teams going into the tournament this year with Russia right behind.

I get your point put you have to put it into perspective... how many first round forwards did we have in lineup when we won gold in Malmö 2014? just 1 in Teuvo Teräväinen and next best guys were Lehkonen and Mäenalanen and back then Canada was just as loaded then as they are now. Now is difference we have 7,8,9 of those good caliber guys so if we can win gold with just couple great forwards then what will we do with roster full of them.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

First round picks doesn't define the quality of the player. Look at players like Axel Holmstrom, Finnish Aho, Kaprizov, Buchnevich. Neither was first round pick but are playing significant roles in a strong professional team. Regardless if Canada or US has many first round picks, many of them are still playing junior.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
You obviously haven't seen Aho and Repo play. FYI, both are Liiga team 1st liners with regular PP time.

Typical HFBoards. If a guy hasn't heard of them, he assumes they aren't worth the salt.

I've seen them play and don't get me wrong they are very good. But overall, I still think the other teams I mentioned still have slightly more depth all the way through the lineup. Also, Finland is weaker on defence and in net.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Also, Finland is weaker on defence and in net.
Defense might be a bit suspect (but not by any means more than what we usually have), but in net? Would you kindly look things up before spewing stuff out of your backside? Since you'll have to look pretty hard to find a better tandem in these games than Kähkönen & Vehviläinen.

Both are already starters in their Liiga teams with combined stats at roughly ~93%SVS and ~2.00GAA. It's perfectly on par with the Saros-Husso combo we had last year and in 2014.

In other words, this year's Team Finland boasts top-notch goaltending, defense about on par with what Finland has on a regular year and very deep offense, at least for Finnish standards. It's a team that, for change, rivals the rest of the top dogs in this tournament, and anybody stating anything else obviously hasn't done his or her homework.

Last edited:

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
Defense might be a bit suspect (but not by any means more than what we usually have), but in net? Would you kindly look things up before spewing stuff out of your backside? Since you'll have to look pretty hard to find a better tandem in these games than Kähkönen & Vehviläinen.

Both are already starters in their Liiga teams with combined stats at roughly ~93%SVS and ~2.00GAA. It's perfectly on par with the Saros-Husso combo we had last year and in 2014.

In other words, this year's Team Finland boasts top-notch goaltending, defense about on par with what Finland has on a regular year and very deep offense, at least for Finnish standards. It's a team that, for change, rivals the rest of the top dogs in this tournament, and anybody stating anything else obviously hasn't done his or her homework.

Take a look at both of their stats for international play....brutal!!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Take a look at both of their stats for international play....brutal!!
Cherry-picking the stats that support your narrative, I see. :laugh:

But yeah, that's what playing in front of experimental defense gets ya. But if they were really as bad as their NT numbers indicate, it would also show when playing for their club teams, against grown men and generally tougher competition, would it? "Nah... I don't have to care about common sense, I'll just ignore those numbers because they don't fit in my fantasy."

In any case, if a goalie plays bad in front of one team and exceptionally well in front of another, are you really telling me the goalie magically gets worse while switching teams... or could a bit of blame be placed on the team in front of them? A case in point: Look at Saros' and Husso's stats on various junior levels outside major tournament play. Pretty brutal too. It's all because they were playing in front of teams that were still in the process of separating the wheat from the chaff.

Rest assured, however, the final iteration of Team Finland will be done separating, and will NOT be playing as bad.

Last edited:

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
Cherry-picking the stats that support your narrative, I see. :laugh:

But yeah, that's what playing in front of experimental defense gets ya. But if they were really as bad as their NT numbers indicate, it would also show when playing for their club teams, against grown men and generally tougher competition, would it? "Nah... I don't have to care about common sense, I'll just ignore those numbers because they don't fit in my fantasy."

In any case, if a goalie plays bad in front of one team and exceptionally well in front of another, are you really telling me the goalie magically gets worse while switching teams... or could a bit of blame be placed on the team in front of them? A case in point: Look at Saros' and Husso's stats on various junior levels outside major tournament play. Pretty brutal too. It's all because they were playing in front of teams that were still in the process of separating the wheat from the chaff.

Rest assured, however, the final iteration of Team Finland will be done separating, and will NOT be playing as bad.

"Cherry-picking" or not the fact that both of these guys can't stop a beach ball in international games should still be cause for concern. Typically Finland still puts out solid teams in international play and saying it's the teams fault isn't an excuse. These guys will need to be lights out for Finland to win gold and I don't see it happening.

gverty

Dec 3, 2015
"Cherry-picking" or not the fact that both of these guys can't stop a beach ball in international games should still be cause for concern. Typically Finland still puts out solid teams in international play and saying it's the teams fault isn't an excuse. These guys will need to be lights out for Finland to win gold and I don't see it happening.
I just leave this here:
Under 18 world championship allstar team:
Goaltender: Finland Veini Vehvilainen
Defencemen: Finland Vili Saarijärvi, Switzerland Jonas Siegenthaler
Forwards: Finland Patrik Laine, Switzerland Denis Malgin, United States Auston Matthews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad