Tuulola - Vainio
Niku - Keskitalo
Juolevi - Saarijärvi

Kähkönen
Vehviläinen

C M Rantanen
A J Tuulola
A K Kapanen

If Laine deserves a spot on the first line over Kapanen next year, we won't have a goal scoring problem. I think up front we are far stronger than this year, that first line is huge and there isn't a midget line that would get destroyed.

On defense we need some underagers to step up to compete. Vainio and Juolevi look good, and who knows how Vaakanainen might develop? Defense is probably a lot stronger too.

Only position that downgrades is goalies. Kähkönen and Vehviläinen are good goalies, but I'm not sure if they can single-handedly steal a game. Although, a lot can happen with goalies during a year. But we should not lose because of our goalies next year either.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Team Finland

Offense is pretty much set:

Sebastian Aho - Antti Kalapudas - Jesse Puljujärvi
Kasperi Kapanen - Roope Hintz - Mikko Rantanen
Juho Lammikko - Julius Nättinen - Patrik Laine
Joel Kiviranta - Aleksi Saarela - Teemu Lämsä
Waltteri Hopponen

whoa, looks real good imo. the finns will be a force to be reckoned with.
can't wait for the WJC to start.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Here's my WJC 2016 Team Finland Prediction.

1st line Aho Saarela Puljujärvi
Tuulola Juolevi

2nd line Rantanen Hintz Kapanen
Saarijärvi Vainio

3rd line Palmu Nättinen Laine
Niku Välimäki

4th line Hopponen Lammikko Tammela
Moberg Niemeläinen.

Goalies

Vehviläinen
Kähkönen
Heljanko.

Potential challengers
Jarkko Parikka
Tarmo Reunanen
Patrik Virta
Eetu Tuulola
Miro Karjalainen
Sami Väliharju
Sami Tavernier
Juho Rautanen
Eetu Sopanen
Joona Voutilainen
Robin Salo
Miska Siikonen
Urho Vaakanainen

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Team Finland

Offense:

Sebastian Aho - Mikko Rantanen - Jesse Puljujärvi
Patrik Laine - Roope Hintz - Kasperi Kapanen
Juho Lammikko - Julius Nättinen - Aleksi Saarela
Joel Kiviranta - Antti Kalapudas - Teemu Lämsä

Last year we struggled mainly because of lack of elite center with high level of hockey sense. Don't want to see this problem again and the only viable option here is to use Rantanen in the middle. He has played C in the past and is unbelievable playmaker with size advantage. Of course this largely depends on wether he makes it out of the Avs camp. If that happens, it's going to create a big hole. Also I'd like the idea of splitting Laine and Puljujärvi for goal scoring stability between the top lines. Kapanen should be able to handle 2nd line duties (hopefully). Also, Hintz and Nättinen could be interchangeable as 2nd and 3rd line centers, depending how their seasons develope.

Defense will propably look something like this (very young):

Joni Tuulola - Vili Saarijärvi
Miro Keskitalo - Olli Juolevi
Sami Niku/Juuso Välimäki - Urho Vaakanainen

Goalies:

Veini Vehviläinen
Kaapo Kähkönen

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Team Finland

Offense:

Sebastian Aho - Mikko Rantanen - Jesse Puljujärvi
Patrik Laine - Roope Hintz - Kasperi Kapanen
Juho Lammikko - Julius Nättinen - Aleksi Saarela
Joel Kiviranta - Antti Kalapudas - Teemu Lämsä

Last year we struggled mainly because of lack of elite center with high level of hockey sense. Don't want to see this problem again and the only viable option here is to use Rantanen in the middle. He has played C in the past and is unbelievable playmaker with size advantage. Of course this largely depends on wether he makes it out of the Avs camp. If that happens, it's going to create a big hole. Also I'd like the idea of splitting Laine and Puljujärvi for goal scoring stability between the top lines. Kapanen should be able to handle 2nd line duties (hopefully). Also, Hintz and Nättinen could be interchangeable as 2nd and 3rd line centers, depending how their seasons develope.

Defense will propably look something like this (very young):

Joni Tuulola - Vili Saarijärvi
Miro Keskitalo - Olli Juolevi
Sami Niku/Juuso Välimäki - Urho Vaakanainen

Goalies:

Veini Vehviläinen
Kaapo Kähkönen

We have three good enough centers with Nättinen, Hintz and Saarela. I doubt the centers will be the issue. The offense is loaded with skill. I'd say without injuries and with everyone being able to participate the offense won't be our problem. The defense will be interesting but I'd say it will be pretty balanced.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
We have three good enough centers with Nättinen, Hintz and Saarela. I doubt the centers will be the issue. The offense is loaded with skill. I'd say without injuries and with everyone being able to participate the offense won't be our problem. The defense will be interesting but I'd say it will be pretty balanced.

Unless atleast one of them steps up a level it's not going to be enough. 2014 is the prime example of how important 1st line center can be. Two out of the three played on the team last time and Finland didn't even get paste the quarters. Nättinen, who got left out didn't really make a huge splash in the u18s either so I wouldn't expect him to make miracles. No, unless atleast one of them makes a considerable jump next season I wouldn't take a chance on it. They should try Rantanen on the middle if he's available and see how it goes. The team is loaded with skilled wingers so replacing one shouldn't be a problem.

Also I don't think we are going with that defense setup I posted earlier, however interesting it may be with all the talent. They are more likely to cut a few underagers and replace them with more experienced guys. Having another year with Honka could really stabilise the back end, but he may just as well be playing in the big league.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Unless atleast one of them steps up a level it's not going to be enough. 2014 is the prime example of how important 1st line center can be. Two out of the three played on the team last time and Finland didn't even get paste the quarters. Nättinen, who got left out didn't really make a huge splash in the u18s either so I wouldn't expect him to make miracles. No, unless atleast one of them makes a considerable jump next season I wouldn't take a chance on it. They should try Rantanen on the middle if he's available and see how it goes. The team is loaded with skilled wingers so replacing one shouldn't be a problem.

Also I don't think we are going with that defense setup I posted earlier, however interesting it may be with all the talent. They are more likely to cut a few underagers and replace them with more experienced guys. Having another year with Honka could really stabilise the back end, but he may just as well be playing in the big league.

Saarela was excellent in u18 and along with him Hintz and Nättinen are one year older next time. Honka(95) is not able to participate this year.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Saarela was excellent in u18 and along with him Hintz and Nättinen are one year older next time. Honka(95) is not able to participate this year.

Forgot about Honka. That's a big loss. What comes to Saarela's performance, he was playing with Puljujärvi and Laine (propably the best two wingers in the tournament) so underwhelming there might have lead Saarela dropping even further down instead of atleast being drafted in the 3rd round. Still a bit disappointing for someone once considered a first round pick. One shouldn't mix U18 WJC with U20 as they are a different ball park anyway. Hintz has the motor but questionable playmaking abilities. Nättinen is a bit of a wild card, but I'm not expecting him to light it up just yet. The team needs a center like TT if it's expected to battle for gold medal again. Of course even Rantanen wouldn't be able to be as good, but he has the potential to be amongst the best players in that tournament being one year older. Wether he can adjust playing that position again is another thing of course. There were talks about using him as the middle man right after the last WJC so maybe this time being a little wiser, they might give it a try.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Sebastian Aho - Roope Hintz - Mikko Rantanen
Patrik Laine - Julius Nättinen - Jesse Puljujärvi
Juho Lammikko - Frank Gymer - Kasperi Kapanen
Sebastian Repo - Aleksi Saarela - Waltteri Hopponen
Jonne Tammela

Olli Juolevi - Vili Saarijärvi
Joni Tuulola - Eetu Sopanen
Sami Niku - Niko Mikkola
Markus Niemeläinen

Kaapo Kähkönen
Veini Vehviläinen

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Sebastian Aho - Roope Hintz - Mikko Rantanen
Patrik Laine - Julius Nättinen - Jesse Puljujärvi
Juho Lammikko - Frank Gymer - Kasperi Kapanen
Sebastian Repo - Aleksi Saarela - Waltteri Hopponen
Jonne Tammela

Olli Juolevi - Vili Saarijärvi
Joni Tuulola - Eetu Sopanen
Sami Niku - Niko Mikkola
Markus Niemeläinen

Kaapo Kähkönen
Veini Vehviläinen

I would switch spots between Aho and Laine. Aho will be on the same team as Puljujärvi in Liiga and they've already proven to have good chemistry with eachother, and we don't need two snipers on the same line especially when Finland needs to increase the amount of goals scored and Laine takes away some of Puljujärvis space turning him into a bit of a playmaker.

btw who is Frank Gymer?

Last edited:

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
I would switch spots between Aho and Laine. Aho will be on the same team as Puljujärvi in Liiga and they've already proven to have good chemistry with eachother, and we don't need two snipers on the same line especially when Finland needs to increase the amount of goals scored and Laine takes away some of Puljujärvis space turning him into a bit of a playmaker.

btw who is Frank Gymer?

Aho and Rantanen played well and were good duo in Lake Placid. Kinda similiar as was Rantanen with Juuso Ikonen last year and ofcourse they had Hintz centering them so thats basicly like the line from last year. Laine Puljujärvi duo is not ideal but theyve been dangerous everywhere theyve played together. It hinders theyre draft stock propably Puljujärvis more but like I said no need to separate them they pile up 3-4 good scoring chances per game. Frank Gymer outplayed Saarela for that 2 lines center spot in Lake Placid and was one of the better performers there. Puljujärvi/Laine have played with Saarela/Gymer so Nättinen should be upgrade on them.

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
It's almost safe to say you can count Rantanen out of Team Finland's lineup as he seems to be making the Avalanche team with flying colors. This saddens me a little, but then again Finland managed to win the WJC without Barkov, Maatta and Kapanen in 2014, so anything can happen. I'm super stoked for Rantanen, but I still would have hoped he'd be able to dress for Team Finland on home ice.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
It's almost safe to say you can count Rantanen out of Team Finland's lineup as he seems to be making the Avalanche team with flying colors. This saddens me a little, but then again Finland managed to win the WJC without Barkov, Maatta and Kapanen in 2014, so anything can happen. I'm super stoked for Rantanen, but I still would have hoped he'd be able to dress for Team Finland on home ice.
Rantanen was now sent to AHL, so it's likely that he is available for WJC.

Finland will have good team if all players are available:
Rantanen, Aho, Puljujärvi, Laine, Kapanen, Nättinen, Hintz, Mustonen, Repo, Saarela, Lammikko, Kiviranta...

Defense won't be bad either.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Rantanen was now sent to AHL, so it's likely that he is available for WJC.
That depends on how close to being a callup he is. But it sure suddenly seems heckuva more plausible than it did a week ago.

Rantanen, Aho, Puljujärvi, Laine, Kapanen, Nättinen, Hintz, Mustonen, Repo, Saarela, Lammikko, Kiviranta...
If you're referring to Aleksi Mustonen, I recommend you check his birthdate.

Czech Yourself Pal

Dec 25, 2014
Prague
We look stronger this year offensively and defensively no question, goaltending is 50/50 coming into this year now that Saros/Husso are gone. Can't wait to see what Puljujarvi and Laine can do especially, I love that Jalonen is the coach this year, and if this team isn't offensively snake-bit like they were last year and the goaltending is good enough, no question this team can win the Gold.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
One of the strongest team Finlands in a long period of time.

Yeah, looks awfully good. So, as a true Finn I obviously will desperately try to find some negatives here... Like for example it's a home tournament broadcast by the YLE with one of the strongest teams ever - so, surely that's not good with Finland: we love to outperform meagre expectations but if we are one of the biggest favourites, we'll surely freeze at some critical stage of the tournament etc. etc.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland

With these players it would lineup something like this:

Rantanen - Saarela - Laine
Aho - Hintz - Puljujärvi
Kiviranta - Lammikko - Kapanen
xxxxxxx - xxxxxxx - Repo

And that's one hell of a team, considering the goal scoring ability we have. Really, with those players you can get at least three offensive lines. That has never been an obvious thing for Finnish hockey. In 2013 UFA champs we had a very solid team too, but this team too is loaded with offensive potential.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Let's tweak that lineup a little and patch the holes...

Rantanen - Hintz - Kapanen
Laine - Nättinen - Repo
Aho - Saarela/Kalapudas - Puljujärvi
Lammikko - Siikonen - Kiviranta
Tammela

And then there are about ten other guys one could easily insert into this lineup and they wouldn't look out of place. Crazy depth indeed.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Let's tweak that lineup a little and patch the holes...

Laine - Nättinen - Repo
Aho - Saarela/Kalapudas - Puljujärvi
Lammikko - Siikonen - Kiviranta
Tammela

And then there are about ten other guys one could easily insert into this lineup and they wouldn't look out of place. Crazy depth indeed.

So there will be three killer-lines. Can't wait for the WJCs :yo:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
So there will be three killer-lines. Can't wait for the WJCs
Heh, you could even stack four legit scoring threats if you'd so desire.

Lammikko - Nättinen - Laine
Aho - Saarela - Puljujärvi
Tammela - Siikonen - Repo

But Jalonen likes his role players so I think the 4th line will have some more traditional hustle and energy. But it's really an apt demonstration of the depth we have, for once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->