Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v1) Next: @ NYY | Wed, Apr 8 | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Dickey vs Pineda

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 4m4 minutes ago
Roberto Osuna makes his major league debut by striking out Alex Rodriguez, who made his major league debut before Roberto Osuna existed.

lmao

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The fact that we have to have such a long, intricate discussion about saves and blown saves and save situations is a good example of why it's such a dumb stat.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
No its a save situation because its assumed you will complete the game.

The hold occurs when you come in for a save situation but don't complete the game (and don't blow the save obviously).

No, you are incorrect. You can't say that he had a save situation because the game was not over.

From the HardBall Times "Now, to put any of that in the proper context, it should be examined what a blown save is. A blown save is charged to a pitcher who enters a game in a situation which permits him to earn a save, but who instead allows the tying run to score. "

http://www.hardballtimes.com/the-blown-save/

It is a blown save because he COULD have earned a save, not because he was in a save situation.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Getting a real closer would have slotted guys in roles their comfortable doing

Cecil is no closer doesn't have overpowering stuff to K guys. Also forces Loup to the 8th inning guy.

For me it would have been

Paplebon/ soriano / Frankie K. 9th
Cecil and Castro 8th
loup Osuna 7th

You got balance and righty lefty based on matchup

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
The fact that we have to have such a long, intricate discussion about saves and blown saves and save situations is a good example of why it's such a dumb stat.

It really is a stupid stat. They were all Loup's runners, but Cecil gets the blown save. But I guess Loup gets the loss. So, it balances out.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
No, you are incorrect. You can't say that he had a save situation because the game was not over.

From the HardBall Times "Now, to put any of that in the proper context, it should be examined what a blown save is. A blown save is charged to a pitcher who enters a game in a situation which permits him to earn a save, but who instead allows the tying run to score. "

http://www.hardballtimes.com/the-blown-save/

It is a blown save because he COULD have earned a save, not because he was in a save situation.

I am intrigued as to how you are going to convince me that 'who enters a game in a situation which permits him to earn a save' is not a save situation.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Cecil is no closer doesn't have overpowering stuff to K guys. Also forces Loup to the 8th inning guy.

Cecil and Castro 8th
loup Osuna 7th

Cecil doesn't have overpowering stuff but Paplebon and Soriano do. Okay then.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Cecil and Castro 8th
loup Osuna 7th

Trevor Hoffman and John Franco, 2nd and 4th on the all-time saves list both averaged less than 90 on their fastballs. Franco was also never a big strikeout guy and Hoffman wasn't for his last 5-7 seasons

apparently they're not closers.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Trevor Hoffman and John Franco, 2nd and 4th on the all-time saves list both averaged less than 90 on their fastballs.

apparently they're not closers.

If we had a real GM we'd have a real closer.

(probably some actual truth to that statement)

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm looking at the Jays pitching box score right now on the MLB At Bat ap.

Dickey gets a no decision.

Castro credited with a hold.

Loup gets the loss.

Cecil gets a blown save (kind of funny, his ERA is 0.00, but he has a blown save).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad