Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v1) Next: @ NYY | Wed, Apr 8 | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Dickey vs Pineda

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It begins!

Blue Jays Central pre-game starts a half hour earlier at 12:30pm ET/9:30am PT.

West coasters, set your alarms!

Also remember that since this is opening day, there's a 1-day gap on Tuesday to accommodate potential rain-outs of game 1. So our series looks like this:

Gm 1: Monday @ 1pm ET/10am PT: Hutchison vs Tanaka
Gm 2: Wednesday @ 7pm ET/4pm PT: Dickey vs Pineda
Gm 3: Thursday @ 7pm ET/4pm PT: Norris vs Sabathia

Banana Squid

Sep 26, 2011
Ho Chi Minh City
It begins!

Blue Jays Central pre-game starts a half hour earlier at 12:30pm ET/9:30am PT.

West coasters, set your alarms!

Also remember that since this is opening day, there's a 1-day gap on Tuesday to accommodate potential rain-outs of game 1. So our series looks like this:

Gm 1: Monday @ 1pm ET/10am PT: Hutchison vs Tanaka
Gm 2: Wednesday @ 7pm ET/4pm PT: Dickey vs Pineda
Gm 3: Thursday @ 7pm ET/4pm PT: Norris vs Sabathia

Living overseas in Asia and the game starts at midnight. Anyone know of a good (ad free) link to watch the game?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
So excited. Key to this team is consistency, a lot of us last year thought we couldn't be stopped in May then all of a sudden June and July came around...this team has to have consistent months and not have these extreme highs and extreme lows. Yeah it's a long season and anything can happen, but if we have any hope of making the playoffs we have to be consistent. The boys ended ST in fine form let's hope the hot bats continue today to start the season for good.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Finally here! Felt like the season was never going to get underway.

Every game counts, so sock those wins away boys! Game 1 would be a great start.

Cautiously optimistic, but there is an aura around this team that makes it feel like things may play out different this season in a positive way.

mikebel111*

I am excited but not too
And of course my friend calls a meeting for our presentation today so likely wont see any of the game:(

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
TF97 First Homerun of the Season Contest

TF97: Jose Bautista
Shimso: Jose Bautista
Koopa I: Jose Bautista
The Man in White: Jose Bautista
Woodman19: Jose Bautista
TheTotalPackage: Josh Donaldson
Arathor: Josh Donaldson
TootooTrain: Josh Donaldson
mapes: Josh Donaldson
Drop The Mits: Josh Donaldson
Vesa Awesaka: Josh Donaldson
topched: Josh Donaldson
Leafs at Knight: Edwin Encarnacion
LeafSadist: Edwin Encarnacion
dredeye: Edwin Encarnacion
LeafsMonster: Edwin Encarnacion
TheOtherSide: Edwin Encarnacion
OilerTyler: Edwin Encarnacion
Swervin81: Justin Smoak
The Nemesis: Justin Smoak
theaub: Jose Reyes
p.l.f.: Jose Reyes
jbell886: Jose Reyes
Edler Von Gud: Jose Reyes
habamillions: Dalton Pompey
katatoniak: Dalton Pompey
Canada4Gold: Russell Martin
TNCHL: Russell Martin
Blitzkrug: Devon Travis
Eyedea: Kevin Pillar
Buckleys: Kevin Pillar
Dark Knight: Kevin Pillar
TruthHurts: R.A. Dickey :shakehead
Bjindaho: Steve Tolleson
Pillsbury Phil: Dioner Navarro
MR4: Dioner Navarro

Last edited:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I'll join the HR guess by picking Navarro. It'd be fitting considering the circumstances :laugh:

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Happy opening day y'all!

Here's to another season of hope, joy, pain and anguish

Happy to be strapped into this roller coaster with all of you

Would be silly to predict anyone but Dosh Jonaldson to hit the first one. He's been hot

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Navarro deserves the start over Smoak. Navarro has had the better season last year, and even the year before last.

This is simply not true. Navarro is an average starting catcher, a poor backup catcher and a poor DH.

He should not be starting at DH over Justin Smoak. He had a wRC+ of 98 in his 3rd best offensive season of his career (of 11 seasons). He is approaching the age where his offensive skills will decline.

Smoak just posted his worst season (of 5) and there are obvious reasons surrounding his struggles which are no longer in play.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
This is simply not true. Navarro is an average starting catcher, a poor backup catcher and a poor DH.

He should not be starting at DH over Justin Smoak. He had a wRC+ of 98 in his 3rd best offensive season of his career (of 11 seasons). He is approaching the age where his offensive skills will decline.

Smoak just posted his worst season (of 5) and there are obvious reasons surrounding his struggles which are no longer in play.

Truthfully, I think Navarro deserves this start based on merit and his ST performance.

It's going to be a revolving door based on matchups and who's hot, but I think you're right that Smoak in the long run is going to earn the majority of the starts and Valencia is a no brainer vs lefties. Not too mention we don't want to be rolling the dice on a regular basis having the backup catcher play DH

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Oh come on, Navarro deserves to start after his good season last year. In addition to that, I bet the Jays need to showcase him a bit. I agree he is a poor DH, though. Smoak will get his shot very soon.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Navarro puts together better atbats. Makes contact. Can get a fly ball for an rbi if necessary. That's all. They just want to get off on the right foot and put together the lineup that will give them the most productive atbats. Long term who cares. Both are useful to a degree, but are marginal to the point where it probably won't matter most games.

Gotta love opening day lineup discussions XD

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Wouldn't be surprised to see Smoak in as a defensive replacement later in the game, EE moves to DH and Navarro to the bench.

Perhaps Gibbons is trying to catch Navarro on a hot streak

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Navarro puts together better atbats. Makes contact. Can get a fly ball for an rbi if necessary. That's all. They just want to get off on the right foot and put together the lineup that will give them the most productive atbats. Long term who cares. Both are useful to a degree, but are marginal to the point where it probably won't matter most games.

Gotta love opening day lineup discussions XD

lol I was just sitting here thinking 'took me 5 seconds to second guess something this year'

dammit

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Wouldn't be surprised to see Smoak in as a defensive replacement later in the game, EE moves to DH and Navarro to the bench.

Perhaps Gibbons is trying to catch Navarro on a hot streak

Can't position swap the DH

If DH moves to another position on the field, DH is forfeited and the Pitcher has to hit in his spot.

Hence the reservation to have Navarro DH on a regular basis. if Martin were to get injured in-game
today for example, Navarro moves to Catcher and the Pitcher has to hit in Martins spot for the rest of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad