2015 QMJHL Draft

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
go on with your list because I'm not impressed with what you've laid down so far.

The Memorial Cup was just in Quebec, by the time QMJHL hosts again, Bowers will already be drafted into the NHL. I doubt that plays any role in his decision.

Who is going to have more scouts at their games throughout the year? A team with Dubois in his draft year who is projected in the 1st round or Halifax that has, who? Brett Crossley?

More fans? Edge Halifax obviously and Bowers would get to play in front of friends & family 34 times a year but that can also be viewed as a negative at times. You have that added pressure of being the hometown hero & deal with friends n family trying to get free tickets n ****. It's a double edge sword sometimes.

There are going to be variables that are different between organizations but what I was talking about was the opportunity from a player development standpoint. You're going to get similar ice time, similar if not more opportunity to win games, similar education packages, same pay, etc. Junior hockey is junior hockey, you can develop anywhere if you put in the work.

I agree with everything you're saying, CB is a better team going forward for the next few seasons than Halifax by a lot, and if I were Bowers I would be giddy at the idea I could be working the PP with Svechnikov and Dubois, but I can also see why some kids prefer to go to certain markets.

Not the first time and not the last if Bowers holds out on CB. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me in this case for Bowers if it is true but if so he has his reasons. He is from Halifax and personally knows the Sea Dogs GM. If those are the only 2 teams he will report to in the Q so be it, he'll be traded or he'll go to the USHL where he would likely succeed.

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
Bowers has options and he is certainly entitled to exercise the ones that he and his family feel are in his best interests. If he chooses to play a year or two in the USHL and then go the NCAA route, I would think no less of him.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
How does this year's draft compare to those in years past?

I think the top end (specifically the top 4) is quite a bit stronger than last years top end.

On Bowers:

“I’m just super happy right now,” Bowers said. “I met Dubois today and I was talking to him about what his experience was. He worked his way up and had a great season and was at the (world) under-18’s. That was good for him and they’ve obviously shown that a young player can succeed there.”

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Bowers has options and he is certainly entitled to exercise the ones that he and his family feel are in his best interests. If he chooses to play a year or two in the USHL and then go the NCAA route, I would think no less of him.

Here Here :handclap:

For the half dozen or so really prime players they should exercise whatever option is best for their family

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Any highend Americans picked up ? Who are the winners and losers ?

Halifax grabbed Ilya Putintsev in the 2nd round - RUS U17 player that qualifies as American, Boston Hr Bruins

RIM grabbed Alex Mella from SSM program

Sherbrooke took Matt Allen from Selects U16 / Providence College NCAA

Best things was the tweets from Putintsev - sends out a thanks, then someone hacks his twitter account and starts spamming. poor kid. Im gonna like this guy !

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
How does this year's draft compare to those in years past?

The talent pool drops off fairly quickly after the 2nd round, but its not a horrible year i dont think. Really all that matters is the first round and that s how you gauge if its a good talent pool IMO and this one is fine, especially at Fwd/G. I Dont think this is a great defence draft. An interesting change this year was the ability to draft 15 year old in all rounds and this changed the draft mentality of the GM/staff as a lot less 16 were chosen.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Halifax grabbed Ilya Putintsev in the 2nd round - RUS U17 player that qualifies as American, Boston Hr Bruins

RIM grabbed Alex Mella from SSM program

Sherbrooke took Matt Allen from Selects U16 / Providence College NCAA

Best things was the tweets from Putintsev - sends out a thanks, then someone hacks his twitter account and starts spamming. poor kid. Im gonna like this guy !

Putnitsev already following Ducharme, Mooseheads and Crossley so he must be planning to play here. Looks like a bit of a little **** from scanning his twitter, hopefully has a good attitude.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Putnitsev already following Ducharme, Mooseheads and Crossley so he must be planning to play here. Looks like a bit of a little **** from scanning his twitter, hopefully has a good attitude.

There's a difference between being a little **** and being a character. You can be dedicated and hard working and still love to have fun and be a bit quirky. Hell, Timo fits that category. So does Ovechkin.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
There's a difference between being a little **** and being a character. You can be dedicated and hard working and still love to have fun and be a bit quirky. Hell, Timo fits that category. So does Ovechkin.

Timo? He's nothing but a class act. Maybe Ehlers, but there's a difference in being cocky/confident while still being respectful and being cocky and acting above everyone else like Ovechkin did as a Junior. There's nothing wrong with being quirky...being cocky is fine too just as long as you're a good teammate. Halifax hasn't had a lot of Russians in recent years. Usually their idea of being a character is a bit different than a Danish/Swiss/German player. Anyway, hope for the best and only time will tell!

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/06/07/report-shane-bowers-not-reporting-cape-breton/

I take a different approach from the consensus in this thread. I'm a firm believer that these kids should honour their CHL team, wherever it may be. It's a nice learning curve at that age to play away from home and helps prepare you for what it's like in the NHL, should Bowers make it. However, I do see the point of exercising options and wanting to be close to home, but I prefer if these kids play for their CHL drafted team.

Regardless, this has happened before (MacKinnon, Domi) so it's nothing new. Wherever Bowers goes, it's going to be a ton of fun to watch him play.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/06/07/report-shane-bowers-not-reporting-cape-breton/

I take a different approach from the consensus in this thread. I'm a firm believer that these kids should honour their CHL team, wherever it may be. It's a nice learning curve at that age to play away from home and helps prepare you for what it's like in the NHL, should Bowers make it. However, I do see the point of exercising options and wanting to be close to home, but I prefer if these kids play for their CHL drafted team.

Regardless, this has happened before (MacKinnon, Domi) so it's nothing new. Wherever Bowers goes, it's going to be a ton of fun to watch him play.

Bowers will play in Cape Breton, not sure it was wise of RyanKennedy to tweet that out so fast, kid was probably just upset about SJ hyping him up as the #1 pick for about a week then tossing him to the side when Veleno was granted EP.

I know there's nothing official on this yet but trust me, also last night he changed his profile picture to him and his buddy in their draft jerseys.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

Why do these articles keep popping up stating he won't play in Cape Breton as if it's a fact when it hasn't been confirmed by anyone credible?

There's a tweet from a guy who doesn't cover QMJHL on a regular basis vs. everything Bowers has said himself plus tweets by Willy Palov, a credible source of QMJHL news.

Seems extremely sloppy to write an article this one sided when the story isn't as black n white as that.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011

I think this whole thing stems from the fact that pre-draft it was slipped to the media that He would only report to Halifax or SNB. So the tweet from THW was based on that, then after he was drafted and met with staff, players there was a more calm approach. Really, the family just wanted to get drafted, and then go from there as in not rush it, i think the Halifax and SNB things were just 'given' that they would report. Everyone quick to judge as usual /human nature.

Personally Im really glad we get to see this potentially electrifying player play in the Q. Bravo!

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Its going to get worse for talent coming out of Quebec
97s 98s and now 99s , declining talent factor tied directly to a system in Quebec where schools has 3-4 years ago started to take in more and more hockey players, today resulting in a over diluted product in Q
you will see more and more "exceptional" and one aspect is the competition these exceptionals face is diluted...skewing the "talent"
there is in fact 2 systems in Q
any other year the top 5 would be 14th-15th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad