2015 QMJHL Draft

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
You do realize that most 16 year old players, drafted high or not, don't have a lot of success in their first years in the league and definitely aren't key pieces in contending years. Other than Dubois, I can't think of one name from last year's draft that legitimately stood out as helping their team win night in and night out

:handclap:

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
How good is this Shane Bowers ?

Franchise player potential in the Q no doubt, and if all goes well I truly believe he can be a 1st round pick in 2017.

He is an amazing skater, the Q director of scouting even said he is by far the best skater in this draft for 15 year olds (aka besides Veleno) and he plays a 200 foot game with great offensive instincts and tools. I would expect 45-50 points as a 16 year old followed by 60-70 as a draft eligible.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Mooseheads should be trying to move into top 4. They have enough picks this year and next to jump 3 spots.

They really, really do not. Jumping up 3 spots is not as easy as it sounds. CB isn't just going to take the 7th pick plus like a 2nd so Halifax can grab Bowers.

The rumor is that SJ is offering #9, #10, a roster player, and possibly even a pick next year to move into the top 3. The Mooseheads cannot even come close to touching that offer.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I was all happy when I saw Remparts make a post on their FB page that they got 8 picks in this year draft, then I looked at it and the first pick in 4th round.

Boy this cup hunt will have a longterm impact.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
They really, really do not. Jumping up 3 spots is not as easy as it sounds. CB isn't just going to take the 7th pick plus like a 2nd so Halifax can grab Bowers.

The rumor is that SJ is offering #9, #10, a roster player, and possibly even a pick next year to move into the top 3. The Mooseheads cannot even come close to touching that offer.

Really, really?
Obviously if the price is too high then don't go for it but CB probably a better team than Halifax this year and Moose have some good roster players they could trade if they're truly rebuilding. Not going to improve on 12th place this year without Ehlers and they're obviously thinking rebuild after their deals last year. If the SJ rumoured package is true then I guess they have a better shot to move up but Moose didn't get a dynamic player in last years draft so they're going to need some top end talent this year and next if they want to compete again in next few years.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Really, really?
Obviously if the price is too high then don't go for it but CB probably a better team than Halifax this year and Moose have some good roster players they could trade if they're truly rebuilding. Not going to improve on 12th place this year without Ehlers and they're obviously thinking rebuild after their deals last year. If the SJ rumoured package is true then I guess they have a better shot to move up but Moose didn't get a dynamic player in last years draft so they're going to need some top end talent this year and next if they want to compete again in next few years.

We hold our own first rounder and Quebec's first rounder for the 2016 draft. Patience is key. Both these picks should be high.

The other thing to consider is that with Veleno setting a precedent, Xavier Parent can apply for exceptional status next year... assuming he grows a bit.

The dream would be getting Parent and Jared McIsaac.

Regardless, I think our superstars need to come from the 2016 draft. This draft we need to focusing on building a solid core. Look at Chicoutimi last year, Roy, Ranger, Daulphin, all really good players... but it was icing on a **** sandwich. We need to make sure we have good players to compliment our best players.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
We hold our own first rounder and Quebec's first rounder for the 2016 draft. Patience is key. Both these picks should be high.

The other thing to consider is that with Veleno setting a precedent, Xavier Parent can apply for exceptional status next year... assuming he grows a bit.

The dream would be getting Parent and Jared McIsaac.

Regardless, I think our superstars need to come from the 2016 draft. This draft we need to focusing on building a solid core. Look at Chicoutimi last year, Roy, Ranger, Daulphin, all really good players... but it was icing on a **** sandwich. We need to make sure we have good players to compliment our best players.
It's Early, but i believe Parent is better then Joey, at the same age. He's a great skater and will likely get EPS he applied.

He just tore up Bantam AAA as a first year and he tore up the U13's with a 2PPG pace. He'll play midget next year book it.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I was Cape Breton GM and he tried that I would tell him straight out not trading u so be a year burned of hockey for u.These spoiled brats need to grow up.

Yeah. What is it with these kids that want to make decisions on their own lives. If the powers that be want the 16 year old to pull up roots and move to Cape Breton, that's what he should do. He owes it to them for being born.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Yeah. What is it with these kids that want to make decisions on their own lives. If the powers that be want the 16 year old to pull up roots and move to Cape Breton, that's what he should do. He owes it to them for being born.

This argument comes up every time something like this happens and it never makes sense.

He's (alledgedly) threatening to move to Waterloo, Iowa if he isn't traded. He's also willing to play in Saint John, NB. Moving away from home isn't the problem here.

The draft is part of junior hockey, it has been since before he was born. It's not his birthright to choose which QMJHL team he gets to play for. You might not like it or think it's right that the league dictates where players play, but that's the best way to spread talent across the league.

If you don't like it, there are plenty of alternatives for you. You can stay in midget or play Jr. A locally if you think it's a better development path than Cape Breton. You can also go to USHL, there's nothing stopping him.

There's nothing Saint John or Halifax can offer Bowers that can be offered by Cape Breton other than maybe money which you're not suppose to do anyway lol

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
This argument comes up every time something like this happens and it never makes sense.

He's (alledgedly) threatening to move to Waterloo, Iowa if he isn't traded. He's also willing to play in Saint John, NB. Moving away from home isn't the problem here.

The draft is part of junior hockey, it has been since before he was born. It's not his birthright to choose which QMJHL team he gets to play for. You might not like it or think it's right that the league dictates where players play, but that's the best way to spread talent across the league.

If you don't like it, there are plenty of alternatives for you. You can stay in midget or play Jr. A locally if you think it's a better development path than Cape Breton. You can also go to USHL, there's nothing stopping him.

There's nothing Saint John or Halifax can offer Bowers that can be offered by Cape Breton other than maybe money which you're not suppose to do anyway lol

I hate to break it to you, but the CHL is divided in 2 types of teams: the haves, and the have nots. Saint John and Halifax are both "have" teams, which means they are more likely to recruit top talent from out of country (or within), have more scouts at their games, better chances at hosting the mem cup, more fans etc., the list goes on.

I would also love to see him go to CB but to blindly state that CB is not a different organization than Halifax or SJ is just wrong.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I hate to break it to you, but the CHL is divided in 2 types of teams: the haves, and the have nots. Saint John and Halifax are both "have" teams, which means they are more likely to recruit top talent from out of country (or within), have more scouts at their games, better chances at hosting the mem cup, more fans etc., the list goes on.

I would also love to see him go to CB but to blindly state that CB is not a different organization than Halifax or SJ is just wrong.

go on with your list because I'm not impressed with what you've laid down so far.

The Memorial Cup was just in Quebec, by the time QMJHL hosts again, Bowers will already be drafted into the NHL. I doubt that plays any role in his decision.

Who is going to have more scouts at their games throughout the year? A team with Dubois in his draft year who is projected in the 1st round or Halifax that has, who? Brett Crossley?

More fans? Edge Halifax obviously and Bowers would get to play in front of friends & family 34 times a year but that can also be viewed as a negative at times. You have that added pressure of being the hometown hero & deal with friends n family trying to get free tickets n ****. It's a double edge sword sometimes.

There are going to be variables that are different between organizations but what I was talking about was the opportunity from a player development standpoint. You're going to get similar ice time, similar if not more opportunity to win games, similar education packages, same pay, etc. Junior hockey is junior hockey, you can develop anywhere if you put in the work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad